I can envisage an increase in your waist line Lizzie. LOL

Yes, Panchos is appalling. At least there's still Cap'n Cod up the road.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The chippy on Oxclose Lane between Gainsford Crescent and Landcroft Crescent still gets my vote, spotlessly clean and great grub

In the early 80s I noticed that the Mapperley fish bar was throwing away fish at the beginning of the tea time session. I asked why and they said it was left over from lunchtime and they were not allo

Many years ago i had worked all day in Cleethorpes and had'nt had a break,and at 6.30 pm thought i 'll have some seaside fish n chips before setting off home,.saw a little fish/chip restaurant on the

Twenty years ago when working nearby, Pancho's were great !

Took Mrs Catfan in there last year & promised her the food there was a real treat, oh my how it's gone downhill !

Billy's chippy at Basford has changed hands & have heard that the new bloke has really turned the place around with an award winning meal on offer these days, looking forward to trying it.

Another one that used to use Pancho's many years ago. Their kebabs were that good I'd sometimes walk home the four miles from town after a night out with mates just to drop in there for one!

I think so, it's definitely still open.

• Upvote 1

The trouble with Billy's and most others these days is that you invariably have to wait for ages for it to be done, then they have the nerve to tell you it's fresh. When dad had his chippy, it was always so busy, that nothing stood for more than a couple of minutes.

The one on Oxclose lane is very good.

• Upvote 1

The Beacon restaurant in Ingoldmells was brilliant for plaice and chips.

A new little chippy opened on Hugh Street in Arnold last year, opposite the entrance to Asda car park.

When we went to try it, they showed us the wet fish first so that we could choose which ones we wanted. They were then battered and cooked while we waited, and tasted lovely. The chips were good, too.

Certainly a lot better than most of the other chippies locally.

Believe it or not the best fish and chips I ever had was at The King's Head British pub in Santa Monica, California. I nearly dropped when they brought it to my table. Two huge fish and lovely big fat golden chips. Price worked out at nine pounds or dollars - can't remember which. They did a great steak and kidney pie also.

We stayed at our friend's house in Culver City. When he came over and stayed with us we took him to the Harry Ramsden's down Queen's Drive way. Absolute rubbish, I felt ashamed to have taken him there. Little scraggy chips and so-so fish. The place was big and crowded - put it down to the power of advertising something different.

A long lost Chippy was "Stan's" on Northgate at Basford.

Stan Boswell & his wife operated that shop for years & nothing was cooked until you ordered what you wanted, then you waited & got absolutely perfect, beautiful fish & chips.

None of this kebab or fried chicken milarky either, I don't think he sold pies too. Only fish & chips !.

Years ago most chippy's were ran by a husband & wife double act, if really busy at weekends they got part time help in.

While the wife served the husband had the important job of doing the frying !

• Upvote 1

That's just how it was with my parents.

My brother has recently moved to Sneinton. Going up to see him on Saturday from dahn Lundon. Can anyone recommend a good fish and chip shop locally, to get a takeaway? Good mushy peas a priority as don't get to eat them very often down here!