A post in a thread in the 1960s era section mentioned a friendly chippy, Jack Wards, Carlton Road, which led me to think of other friendly chippys in Nottingham.

During the 50s and 60s there were a number of friendly chippys in nottingham. My favourite was George's chippy on Sneinton Dale. It was illegal for us to leave school at lunchtime unles we had a note. A group of us would break out and head for George's down the dale. He allowed us to use his back room to devour our chips in order to avoid the headmaster, who used to drive up and down the dale looking for escapees. Good old George!

Another very friendly chippy was the one on Salop Street, Daybrook/Arnold (1950s-early60s). The owner was a foreign lady, possibly Polish but for some reason I think she may have been German. I came across her in two other locations over the years: Cartlton Road, a chippy near the old Nottingham suburban railway bridge and at Dunkirk chippy. By this time it was late 70s/early 80s and she had become quite old.

The Robin Hood chippy on Arkwright Street gave the biggest deals in town in the early 70s. I used to stop there on my motorbike on Friday nights on my way home from an air force posting in Suffolk.

Anyone recall any of these locations?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The chippy on Oxclose Lane between Gainsford Crescent and Landcroft Crescent still gets my vote, spotlessly clean and great grub

In the early 80s I noticed that the Mapperley fish bar was throwing away fish at the beginning of the tea time session. I asked why and they said it was left over from lunchtime and they were not allo

Many years ago i had worked all day in Cleethorpes and had'nt had a break,and at 6.30 pm thought i 'll have some seaside fish n chips before setting off home,.saw a little fish/chip restaurant on the

The best chippy I remember was Hadlums on Broxtowe Lane ( middle Shops) this would be early/ mid 60's. I also remember the Robin Hood on Arkwright Street as used to call there on the way to the match,

One of the best I go to now is Andy's on Bracebridge Drive.

My all time favourite was "The Queens Fish Bar" on Mansfield Road in the city, owned by a greek called Angelo.

Years later he sold that shop & bought one in Bulwell !

we always go to andys in stapleford for our fish and chips usually after going to mfn cooks it to order looks for dave comming in and sez cod dave yep sez dave its in for you ready in about 10 mins ok. always fresh and good quality and friendly chat while you wait

• Upvote 1

I remember a good one in Clifton but cannot think of it's name.

It was just off Farnborough Road, first turn left, (Orford Avenue?) as you come into Clifton from Nottingham.

Two of my Aunt's worked there on a part time basis.

Myself and some pals would occasionally get "freebies" on a Friday school lunch time break.

Smiffy

PS:- Is the Linga Longa still open in Skegness?

I remember a good one in Clifton but cannot think of it's name.

It was just off Farnborough Road, first turn left, (Orford Avenue?) as you come into Clifton from Nottingham.

Been in there hundreds of times, but I never knew it by any name other than "the chip shop".

chip-1.jpg

THe Chinese chippy on Bagnall rd was friendly and funny,my daughter used to go in at lunch time when she was at Ellis School,and the Chinese lady who owned it really made her laugh one day,a lad used to run in and pull his eyes into a squint and shout "any free fish bits" (in chinese accent) Anyway this particular day the Chinese lady responded by opening her eyes really wide with her fingers and replied,"NO NOW F... OFF.

• Upvote 2

My all time favourite was "The Queens Fish Bar" on Mansfield Road in the city, owned by a greek called Angelo.

Years later he sold that shop & bought one in Bulwell !

Was that the Apollo Fish Bar on Highbury Road, just round the corner from the end of Henrietta Street? I went there for years (up to 1997) but never knew his name.

Was that the Apollo Fish Bar on Highbury Road, just round the corner from the end of Henrietta Street? I went there for years (up to 1997) but never knew his name.

No, was that one up near the Adelphi, now called Leon's.

Angelo retired back to Cyprus ( I think ) Don't know if he is still alive, smashing bloke.

Robin Hood chippy, when it closed down he moved to another chippy at the top of Beckhampton road, think he was Greek. Another Greek and nice chap was Costa who ran a chippy opposite the Green Barell on Arnold road.

• Upvote 1

Another very friendly chippy was the one on Salop Street, Daybrook/Arnold (1950s-early60s).

Anyone recall any of these locations?

I remember using this one, Compo, very popular it was too, quite small if I recall. You probably know there's a health centre standing there now, shame. I more often used Redhill Chip Shop on Redhill road which I'm sure you'll remember too. So many around the Arnold area (and good ones) in those days.

• Upvote 1

Lovely Chinese family own a chippy on Hartley Road. Lovely people and yummy food... wish you'd not started this thread! Now I'm craving fish and chips and it's only 10:40am!!

'Tim Fook House'

Tim told me with a smile "Fook? I know what you are finkin... Fook is mean rucky'

Lovely people came from a shop in Sneinton, known them for years, their son has now grown up, name escapes me?

Originally owned by the famous Mr.Wan and his long suffering wife. his car a Volvo 'WAN 1'

• Upvote 1

The most memorable chippy was Brights. This chippy was next to the Nag's Head at Bobbers Mill. Back into the 1970s they made their own pies, with shortcrust pastry and real chunks of meat. Totally wonderful.

Another chippy was Dogger Bank on Bobbers Mill Road. I recall it had a very old range, it was (to link to another thread) almost art deco style, with big angular green glass backings and lights. They cooked with lard rather than oil.

Does any one remember the fish & chip shop on Wollaton Street. Had tables & chairs upstairs where you could have your meal served on a plate with tea & bread & butter. Areal treat when mum & dad took us there. I think the big Hotel (cant think of its name)has been built in its place.It must be over 50 years ago tho.

The Greyfriars chip shop on lower Parliament street [now closed years ago] when fish & chips shops was just fish& chips not like nowadays they sell allsorts of food, my local chip shop sell cakes as well.

Re # 16 & 19. I remember this one in the early 60's. Sat afternoon after closing time. " One Up & Chips " ( pie & chips) price 1/6d.

Fantastic. Set us up for the evenings onslaught, unless a few of us got a bottle of whiskey and went to the Kardomah. Great days !

• Upvote 1

I remember using this one, Compo, very popular it was too, quite small if I recall. You probably know there's a health centre standing there now, shame. I more often used Redhill Chip Shop on Redhill road which I'm sure you'll remember too. So many around the Arnold area (and good ones) in those days.

The one at the corner of Redhill Road, opposite the VW dealer, Stu? Used it regularly as a stopping-off place en route to the Arch Bridge (Redhill Bridge) as a teenager.

That's the one, Compo. Owned by Mr and Mrs Eassom. I read somewhere that it was the oldest chippy in the area, not sure if that's true. It was a sad day when it closed. What were you doing up the Arch Bridge?

Does any one remember the fish & chip shop on Wollaton Street. Had tables & chairs upstairs where you could have your meal served on a plate with tea & bread & butter. Areal treat when mum & dad took us there. I think the big Hotel (cant think of its name)has been built in its place.It must be over 50 years ago tho.

Yes I remember it well. There was a waitress there who took your orders and didn't even write them down. She remembered everything that people had ordered and always got everything right,

If I remember correctly it was on three floors and she used to run and down those stairs ten to the dozen.

• Upvote 1

elsies used to be called they whitches chippy when we were young old lady used to fry in a big black couldren , good chips though 6d mix and batter bits

• Upvote 1