The one in Redhill was Eassoms when I lived there - and we moved to Long Eaton in 1958!

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The chippy on Oxclose Lane between Gainsford Crescent and Landcroft Crescent still gets my vote, spotlessly clean and great grub

In the early 80s I noticed that the Mapperley fish bar was throwing away fish at the beginning of the tea time session. I asked why and they said it was left over from lunchtime and they were not allo

Many years ago i had worked all day in Cleethorpes and had'nt had a break,and at 6.30 pm thought i 'll have some seaside fish n chips before setting off home,.saw a little fish/chip restaurant on the

My old childhood chippy was Mapperley fish bar, top of Bennet road on Mapperley tops, next door to Baily's greengrocer.

Four pennyworth of chips with batter bits, with loads of salt and vinegar.

As I became older and hit the town on Friday evenings we always seemed to end up at the Kingfisher on Mansfield road near the city end.

Chicken and chips had then become the norm, then later as kebabs hit the scene it was Pancho's fish and kebab shop, somewhere near the old Savoy hotel on the other side of Mansfield road.

Extremely difficult to get real chips here in Oz, usually all frozen processed chips, but a few ex pats in Perth have just opened a couple of English type chippy's, with real chipped potatoes, haddock and cod (frozen but the real thing) They have imported the fryers and chippers from the UK.

Last I heard they were doing a bomb and had queues out the door as the local ex pom population live nearby, Perth WA is a very popular area for ex pat poms, due to its climate and good employment prospects (mining in the NW)

• Upvote 1

banjo, the Mapperley Fish Bar is still there and I think it's still pretty good but we rarely go up there. Panchos (it's on Mansfield Road in Carrington) was apparently very good years ago, before we moved back to Nottingham, and then it was taken over by some other people. It's our local chippy but we'd rather get in the car to fetch our takeaway from elsewhere as the food at Panchos is pretty awful but they stay in business ....... no idea how!

The "Cods Scallops" in Bramcote is a brilliant chippy and has won national awards for its fish and chips.

Also Captain Cods on Perry Road another good one.

• Upvote 1

Is Costas on Arnold Rd the one that is now called Bestwood Chip Bar ? Because that is brilliant.

Nor cheap, but very good!

Like Banjo, early days for me was Mapperley Fish Bar. As a teenage, and after a few pints down town, either the chippie at the bottom of Mansfield Road or walk (stagger) up to Panchos on my way home.

Later, when I lived in Rainworth, it was the Fish Net in Blidworth - the best chippie I could find anywhere in the area.

Now, it's Rolleston Drive most of the time.

It was probably Costas in 1968 when I used to pop in after doing my ice cream round ( Mr Softee )

The one in Redhill was Eassoms when I lived there - and we moved to Long Eaton in 1958!

Mr and Mrs Eassom (or maybe it was just Mrs Eassom) still lived on Redhill Road in the early eighties a few doors up the road, Eric. Apparently, they'd had a chippy in Arnold before they ran the one at Redhill too.

In the early 80s I noticed that the Mapperley fish bar was throwing away fish at the beginning of the tea time session. I asked why and they said it was left over from lunchtime and they were not allowed to reheat it on health and safety grounds, so it had to be chucked. I immediately volunteered my dog to eat the waste fish and thenceforth had free fish whenver I went in at tea time - the dog, of course, didn't exist :)

• Upvote 3

#23: Stu, If I had a girlfriend the Arch Bridge wa sa good place to try a grope - if not then it was still a good place to watch cars passing beneath in the evening.

I guess we didn't know all those years ago that we were eating 'fast food', way before McDonalds was even thought of.

• Upvote 1

Many years ago i had worked all day in Cleethorpes and had'nt had a break,and at 6.30 pm thought i 'll have some seaside fish n chips before setting off home,.saw a little fish/chip restaurant on the sea front and went in,the man looked at his watch and said'you best be quick i shut in 20 minutes'

I told him not too politely where he could shove himself and his chips,then drove all the way to Southwark st,Basford,(Marlows) and had the lovliest fish/chips at home...........served with a smile and lots of "ay up ducks"

• Upvote 3

It was Wick Harbour day last Saturday here in Caithness. The harbour was full of events but the harbour chip shop was - closed!

• 2 weeks later...

No-ones mentioned the all night chippy opposite the Palais. At one time the catering manager at the Palais lived in Derby and didn't drive, so he'd spend from 3 till about 7 in the morning sat in there till his first bus.

#38 Benjamin. Is Marlow's chippy the one opposite St Aidan's church. If so I remember getting a bowl-full of chips often from there when I stayed with my grandparents in Cheltenham Street. This was at the back end of the war or just after. It is still there, and if it still sells chips then it must be the longest-established chippy in Nottingham.

Yes thats the one 'chulla' its still' there,last time i noticed it was called 'Billys'

• 1 year later...

I've heard that Cods Scallops is opening up in the old Raspberry Village furniture store on Mansfield Road, Carrington. Looking forward to sampling their food and seeing as Panchos is a truly dreadful fish and chip shop it will be a welcome addition to the local food outlets, plus we'll soon have a new Indian that's opening up in the old NatWest building on the corner of Hucknall Road.

• Upvote 2