• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It would have been easier to have just given him his change..

Mam .... Mam ... Mam ..... Mam ...... Mam .... Ice cream vans here   

One summers evening whilst on Softee's, I was outside the Deerstalker at Bestwood. A blousesy woman came up to the counter and asked if I'd got a King Dick (Walls lolly) Quick as a flash I replied tha

More tales of exploitation, blackmail and debauchery to come I'm afraid Michael. No! Only joking, but more stories later.

• Upvote 3
  • 3 years later...

A friend of ours when we were living in Norfolk used to tell his two daughters that the ice cream man played the chimes to let folks know that he had sold out of ice cream.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

I know this thread is quite old now but I saw this yesterday and it made me think about the vans that these guys used. Does anyone remember the colour of the Covelli van and the tune they played? I seem to think it was painted cream with some orange on it. The other one I remember was the El Dorado van and again I can't remember the colour or the tune they played. Thanks in advance.

I remember the name Covelli but don't remember anything about how they looked. Pianoman mentions at the beginning of this thread that Covelli was based in Basford, but presumably their vans travelled all over Nottingham.

Googling El Dorado ice cream brings up a link to Merseyside:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/localhistory/my_memory/eldorado.shtml  I guess the name was probably used by several ice cream companies around the country, so the one in the photo may have no connection with Nottingham.

Their family name was actually Covell and they originated from Aspley. From memory their vans were light blue and cream very much in the style of Mister Softee.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, radfordred said:

Does everyone with the surname Whippy sell ice cream & what about Miss Whippy? 

That's what I wanna know? 

She worked on Forest Road. So I heard.

3 hours ago, radfordred said:

Does everyone with the surname Whippy sell ice cream & what about Miss Whippy? 

That's what I wanna know? 

You can be Mr Whippy if you like RR. A 1960 Bedford ice cream van is for sale,  only £45000!  plus tax of course...

https://www.icecreamvantrader.com/vans/mr-whippy-12

I remember in the fifties there was an ice cream place round the back of the Swan garage on Nuthall Road...Never saw a name but it must have been there a while. There were a couple of 'Stop me and Buy One' three wheel bikes round there with weeds and thistles growing through them.

There was a Pearces ice cream factory at the top of Grant Street when I were a lad. The used to make some superb ice cream cakes, that looked like real cakes. We used to sneak in and pick up bits of "hot ice" as we called it. Now I know it was dry ice, carbon dioxide.

I remember a shop opposite Judges at the top end of Woodthorpe Drive which sold great ice cream with tiny bits of ice in it.  The white haired  lady who ran the shop was Mrs Pearce if I remember correctly…..this would be in the late 1940s/50s

• Like 1

There used to be a shop on Commercial road, Bulwell, that sold home made ice cream. It was Cheethams, known locally as 'Chobbers'. Just about opposite what was the Co-op, near Mersey Street. When visiting grandma, we, as nippers went over to 'Chobbers ' for a cornet or sandwich, made with a little hand contraption that you put a wafer in, then spread a spatula full of ice cream topped with another wafer. It was then pushed out onto a square of paper and handed to the customer, for about 3d or 6d. Deeelicious. 

"""""""BEST ICE CREAM EVER"

If you ever went down the bridges (Trent Bridge Wilford Bridge)  at Wilford end before going on to the Embankment the 40 bus used to turn round via an island, on this island was an ice cream van, wording on the van said 

""Sallaries"" and  No"2 is the ice ceream that they used to sell on the old Central Market. 

3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Was that ‘The little shop with a big reputation’ ?

That sounds very familiar but I’m not sure …:

No Phil, it wasn’t Twigdons - that’s where mum bought my dads cigarettes, and I think our newspapers came from there too.

The shop where we bought ice creams was next to Bramleys I think

• Upvote 1