Welcome Karlton, I'm sure you'll find some good topics here. Many members from that area.

Might be useful if you told us a bit of your history in Carlton, such as the road you lived on, the school you went to, names of people you knew in your days there. It will ring a few bells for people reading this and somebody might actually remember you.

You say you lived in Carlton from 1940 to 57 - does that mean you are now somewhere else?

Welcome to the Forum Karlton, this is a great site about Nottm, Notts and all other nice places in the world.

Look forward to your posts.

Smiffy

I was born in kirks buildings, Pearsons farm was only a few minutes away, I remember Straws the bakers opposite the windsor castle pub, huckerby's the butchers and Sid Atkins the butcher who took over from him, shentalls grocery shop, Joe Smith butchers Bert fisher the barbers. I worked on the milk round for Mr Pearson in my school holidays and at weekends. we would often stop for petrol at the garage come blacksmith just below straws, petrol then was something like three and sixpence a gallon if my memory serves me right. please bear with me friends i'm very new to the internet. look forwood to meeting you all.

• Upvote 3

Welcome Karlton . My parents were both born in Carlton . We had some connection to a Straw family too.

There are photos from a Park Rd V.E . Day street party in 1945 in this thread here :

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10635

also on page 3 of the same thread is a picture of a Carlton "grannies" coach outing from the 50s . Do you recognise anyone ?

dont think so more likely to be kat she was born kirks buildings1951 at her gramas house her grama may havebeen a straw but i carnt remember kat did write a tread about kirks bildings som time a go.not sure if its on ancestory or carlton. i have a look when i stopped shaking i just nearly fell through the living room ceiling dave sez its crackedjust fell over in the bedroomat the side of my bed dont know how and have not even had a drink for three weeks. pulled my laptop of but its working ok but did break my mouse wiregood job i got a spear mousehidding in my draws.no injuries just a bit shaky now

thanks micheal more shuck up but a bit worrying as i dont even know how it happened

:No1: Thanks for the welcome messages forum members, please bear with me. I'm a very new member. I will try to reply as I steadily go along, I've read some of your topics, brilliant. how you manage to put photos on here i'll never know. perhaps one day i'll manage it when I get used to sending messages i'll dig out a few memories of carlton and topics etc. ps. I did attend st. Augustines catholic school although i'm not a catholic, in those days you went to the nearest school, I left at the age of eleven, and then went to Chandos secondary modern boys school. under the headmaster Mr. coates and then Mr. Marsh. I now live in lincs. gud luck everyone.

• Upvote 3