I worked as a passed cleaner at colwick loco from 1957 sad day when it closed down, i remember george mallard cleaner foreman, nice gent. anyone out there remember him? netherfield was booming then. bournes factory, i had a sister work there. also remember the clock on the wall and the workers piling out when the hooter went off. I believe there was a fish shop on the corner of deabil street that was coal fired.

yes it was coal fired run by mr and mrs george they had downs syndrom daughter dorothy who helped in the shop she was great at serving and wrapping the chips her mum used to take the money loved my six penny mix with bater bits from there. i lived on debil st during the 50s and knew a lot of the railway men who lived and worked down therespent alot of time round the sheds used to sit on the wall of the railway club top of the st a lot too especialy with my guyfawks on the friday before bonfire night

• Upvote 1

thanks every one im fine today a bit bruised and sore but that all. wondered if someone would pick up the mouse in my draws thought it might be den.

• Upvote 1

I lived for seven years down dunstan street, happy days then. you could walk down the street any time of day and you'd always see a railwayman. I believe there was a chippy near the first crossing on the same side as the fox and hounds pub. went to the ritz many times as a youngster, sometimes queueing nearly to the beeroff when a classic film was shewn. sat many times on the regal steps, you had to ask an adult to take you in if it was an 'A' film and then split up inside. much different to-day. I'm showing me age now. I joined the army cadets at carlton drill hall probably about 1953 or thereabouts, brilliant experience. i wonder if it still recruits the youngsters of to-day?

• Upvote 1
  • 7 months later...