• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dad's favourite uncle, Gilbert Hudson, was a rep for Hotpoint in the 1920s and 30s. His patch was the east coast, including Grimsby.  Gilbert would motor over to the east coast at least two days per w

Thanks for that info Barclaycon. Paulus and others (including me) have already commented on the pathetic commentary coming out of Neville's mouth (on another 'World Cup' thread) but I don't think we'

Lizzie don't talk to me about tv remotes , once we went to our grand son's house to babysit , and there were about 7 remote controls for various things , so I said to my grandson,   Zack how do you tu

While ever our Premier league is dominated by foreign players we'll never win owt.!...............saurez was brilliant.

I entirely agree. This influx of foreign players dilutes our home game. The F.A. practically admitted there is a problem when they suggested another league, something like a reserve league, to bring on English players. Foreign players should be strictly limited in number per team.

I'm not sure restricting the number of foreigners will really benefit our players. The standard in the Premiership would then just drop to the level that an all-British league would be at, i.e. lower. The experience our players would get would only be the same as in a lower division without the foreign players to test themselves against. British players already get the chance to play at whatever level they are capable of. Let's just look at Liverpool as an example, Johnson, Gerrard, Henderson, Sturridge, Sterling, Kelly and Flanagan all get regular time when fit. The problem IMO is that our kids play on full size mud baths so it tends to be the strong players who excel early rather than the skilful ones. An 8 year old Suarez or Messi would probably get kicked to death or hardly played here in favour of a lump of a midfielder who could trundle through the mud all winter and 'put their foot in'.

Let's also not ignore the prehistoric management styles that seem to predominate. The rest of the world plays zonal marking but anyone who tries to introduce it here is ridiculed. Winning in 1966 may have been the worst thing that happened to English football. It's stopped the FA having a total overhaul of the coaching system for nearly 50 years.

I was against it at the time purely for selfish reasons, but England should have had Cloughie all those years ago. He'd have revolutionised the game. He was a great believer in speed allied with skilful passing, that's what we were sorely missing last night.

The speed was there, but some of the passing was woefull,

I like the idea of the team consisting of players from predominantly one or two clubs, however, we did miss someone who could win the tackle every time.

Not to worry, the young ones will get better. Bring on the Euros.

I said to someone the other day "I'll be glad when it's all over".................... It is know !

Instead of (hopefully) going to the world cup every four years, it might be better to stay here and have a regional cup.

The Midlands v The South, The North East v The North West etc etc. The Midlands could have players from all the local teams included !

Smiffy

I said to someone the other day "I'll be glad when it's all over".................... It is know !

Instead of (hopefully) going to the world cup every four years, it might be better to stay here and have a regional cup.

The Midlands v The South, The North East v The North West etc etc. The Midlands could have players from all the local teams included !

Smiffy

Trouble is, 'the locals' would be european or south american! :No1:

Or Asian or West Indian

Just the ones for a good HARD tackle..... !

You get sent off today for a good hard tackle' or a tackle from behind,you can't even give the 'goalie' a bit of shoulder,and have you noticed theres no such thing as a 'foul throw' anymore,........tut tut its a different game today,...........defensive wall? why bother they all stand with their 'handbags' covering their 'privates' and still turn their backs when the ball is struck............tut tut,...........come back chopper Harris,bite your legs Hunter,and short sighted Nobby'

And Kenny Burns + Big Larry Lloyd !

• Upvote 1

Half time tactical team talk ?....no...........just a cold sponge down ya 'jockstrap,quick fag and a 'suck on a lemon,you were soon ready for the second half,

• Upvote 2

The problem IMO is that our kids play on full size mud baths so it tends to be the strong players who excel early rather than the skilful ones. An 8 year old Suarez or Messi would probably get kicked to death or hardly played here in favour of a lump of a midfielder who could trundle through the mud all winter and 'put their foot in'.

What we need are more 3G pitches - i.e. artificial grass. I've spent most of the last season watching Merthyr Town play on one (that's the same level of football as the likes of Carlton Town and Rainworth MW), and the true surface aids good quality, passing football. And there are no mud heaps - the surface looks just as good at the end of the season as on the first day.

Sad day for English football.

I read the link on #41,"We hope to win in 2022 world cup". I hope they find a new manager,I'll be well into my 70's by then,if I'm still this side of the daisies.

My consolation is that I have seen them win the world cup in my life time :)

• Upvote 2