• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dad's favourite uncle, Gilbert Hudson, was a rep for Hotpoint in the 1920s and 30s. His patch was the east coast, including Grimsby.  Gilbert would motor over to the east coast at least two days per w

Thanks for that info Barclaycon. Paulus and others (including me) have already commented on the pathetic commentary coming out of Neville's mouth (on another 'World Cup' thread) but I don't think we'

Lizzie don't talk to me about tv remotes , once we went to our grand son's house to babysit , and there were about 7 remote controls for various things , so I said to my grandson,   Zack how do you tu

On 6/17/2014 at 6:15 AM, LizzieM said:

Thanks for that info Barclaycon. Paulus and others (including me) have already commented on the pathetic commentary coming out of Neville's mouth (on another 'World Cup' thread) but I don't think we've ever used the red button in our house, it's complicated enough trying to turn the TV on !!!

Lizzie don't talk to me about tv remotes , once we went to our grand son's house to babysit , and there were about 7 remote controls for various things , so I said to my grandson,   Zack how do you turn the telly on , he pointed to a chunky looking remote and gave me a look to say , are you thick  !!!!!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
On 11/18/2022 at 10:11 PM, Oztalgian said:

I see that the Qataris have back-flipped on their approval to allow the major beer sponsor Budweiser to sell beer for limited hours before and after the games outside the 8 football stadiums. For now you can still get a beer inside the stadium? I wonder what will happen if any of the lager louts cause any trouble with their behavior in public areas

What price a contract? I am sure that Budweiser will be having words with FIFA.

Yet another reason that they should never have been awarded the competition.

You ask what will happen to any larger louts to quote the Queen of Hearts (from Alice in Wonderland)   OFF WITH THERE HEADS.  I see from England  no arm bands worn Qatar 1 the World 0

On 11/19/2022 at 9:15 AM, Rob.L said:

If it’s right that they’re charging £12.50 for a bottle of gnats urine,

Yes, it's not even beer its Budweiser.

My avoidance of all things World Cup/FIFA is going well. Only seen the banners headlines on the news programs, turn off or change the channel when the sports segment comes on.

England cricketers whitewashed by Australia in the 50 over series, I don't think England care as they won the one that mattered, the 20/20 World Cup. They were probably still hungover!

• 2 weeks later...

IVE Loved seeing the African and Asian teams making their mark and their supporters enjoying it....

Theres alot wrong with Qatar but so there is with many countries........i reckon they have done a good job with it all.......

• Like 1

Watched the Japan v Croatia match yesterday. Couldn't help but notice, the Japanese supporters bless em, sang a non-stop song, complete with a drummer all the way through the match, including extra time. Such optimism, a pity it finished on a penalty shootout.

Have noticed certain little changes in football of late.....

1/ Goal kicks not leaving the goal mouth....

2/ Kick offs going backwards...

when did the rules change from Goal kicks having to leave the goal area ...and kick offs having to go forward??

46 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Have noticed certain little changes in football of late.....

1/ Goal kicks not leaving the goal mouth....

2/ Kick offs going backwards...

when did the rules change from Goal kicks having to leave the goal area ...and kick offs having to go forward??

Ben

1) Was changed in 2019 the ball now just has to move, before that it had to leave the penalty area

2) Was changed in 2016. Originally the ball had to go forward from the kick off now it just has to move in any direction.

• Like 1

Condolences  to our ENGLAND TEAM they played well and they should have won!!

• Like 1

Inadvertently just seen the goals in the England France game.

France scores 2 goals in free play which England consistently fails to do.

One penalty perfect, the other a shocker.

If it had finished 2-2 I have no doubt that England would have lost on penalties as their win record is only 33% in penalty shoot outs.

On 12/11/2022 at 7:32 AM, mary1947 said:

Condolences  to our ENGLAND TEAM they played well and they should have won!!

Sorry Mary, their defeat can only be seen as a yet another failure. They should have at least reached the semis to have been reasonably successful.  They have only reached the semi-finals twice since their 1966 victory.

Despite having what is widely regarded as the best domestic football league, the EPL the England team just cannot seem to perform as a unit and to me appears to suffer from an inability to score goals in free play. Their best result in international tournaments was a loss to Italy (on penalties) in Euro 2020/21

39 minutes ago, Oztalgian said:

Despite having what is widely regarded as the best domestic football league

That is the problem. The Premiership is heavily populated with foreign players, all of whom report to their Countries with a working knowledge of how each and every English player will behave. That said, it always seems to me that, however consistent and talented a team is, you invariably need a bit of luck along the way. Sadly, the luck always seems to go to other teams. Unless the adage about making your own luck applies somewhere.

• Like 1

Not that I am at all interested in football, but the truth is that the English team are plainly mediocre and appear a weary worn out team.

I cannot see why as they are mostly quite young with enormous benefits for playing the game. On this sobering thought, perhaps they should all return to their mansions and reflect on their past and present performance.

Compared with Stanley Matthews time they, and the whole game, have a lot to learn.

England v France was the first game I watched. As with most England games they talk the talk but just never manage to walk the walk.

Wouldn't it be great if Morocco won it!