• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dad's favourite uncle, Gilbert Hudson, was a rep for Hotpoint in the 1920s and 30s. His patch was the east coast, including Grimsby.  Gilbert would motor over to the east coast at least two days per w

Thanks for that info Barclaycon. Paulus and others (including me) have already commented on the pathetic commentary coming out of Neville's mouth (on another 'World Cup' thread) but I don't think we'

Lizzie don't talk to me about tv remotes , once we went to our grand son's house to babysit , and there were about 7 remote controls for various things , so I said to my grandson,   Zack how do you tu

Very watchable match. Whatever were France doing in the first 70mins though? 

Enjoyed that and much of the competition. But as ever, BBC had to drag the coverage out to the last second ...

Even better Phil, if there were no matches at all!

No ‘talking heads’ talking drivel at £1.8 million PA.

No hero worship and kisses when the real heroes are the Ukrainians’ living in rubble, being shelled, and having to bury their mutilated and burned loved ones bodies and keep smiling!

• Like 2

The greatest game of football I have ever witnessed on the biggest stage, to serve up that type of entertainment under that amount of pressure was just incredible, I will be rewatching in full on the iPlayer later, I have to admit I was crying like a baby in The Wollaton when Messi lifted the World Cup, every school boys dream 

• Like 1

Must say that I enjoyed the football. Far too much time given to talking heads and repetitive history though. I give them 5 minutes before and after a match then switch off. Particularly impressed by Angel De Maria - not for his goal but for his artistry.

Yes, there are bad things and suffering going on in the world Alpha and I get quite upset about it, but that is not a reason for burying ourselves in misery and criticising others for enjoying themselves. Having a bit of joy helps us to share it with others.

• Like 3

Incredible game......as you say Red best ive ever seen.......could get into the old game again if more were like that.......

Wanted the Argies to win but felt sorry for the Frogs............

Like PP, I only tuned into the matches a couple of minutes before, but watched the final all the way through - even the presentation afterwards.

After Mbappe’s unnecessary smirking when Kane missed a penalty, it was good to see his smile wiped from his face by Messi and the rest of the Argentinian team.even after his hat-trick.

And I bet that Macron wished he was anywhere but on the podium when he was forced to shake hands with the winners. Poor bugger looked so miserable. :biggrin:

Hi! PeverilPeril,

I'm not criticising others, I do, however, however, find this god-like over indulgent hero-worship with football players and with such other programmes as Strictly Come Dancing just false idolisation.

Just get on with playing the game, win or lose, but cut out the rubbish.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Alpha said:

Hi! PeverilPeril,

I'm not criticising others, I do, however, however, find this god-like over indulgent hero-worship with football players and with such other programmes as Strictly Come Dancing just false idolisation.

Just get on with playing the game, win or lose, but cut out the rubbish.

Agree with you to a certain extent Alpha, however passion is an essential ingredient in our lives and we all have a choice how that is displayed. Any sport would become mediocre at best without passion and heroes.

• Like 1

Maybe our English Mens Football team need to take Lessons from the ENGLISH LIONESSES????

• Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...

Who will be watching the Womens World Cup? Being hosted by Australia and New Zealand. It kicks off tomorrow night with New Zealand playing Norway at Eden Park in Aukland and Australia playing Ireland in Sydney. England start their quest by playing Haiti on Saturday 22nd at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane. They are in a tough group which also includes China and Denmark.

• 2 weeks later...

It is all over England win 6-1

The use of the video referee is ruining the game. Endless minutes whilst someone in a bunker reviews what has just happened on the field. Then the ref goes and looks at a TV to make a decision. What a load of plumbing equipment (ballcocks) if it is not obvious and does not materially affect play just get on with the game. Eleven minutes of extra time and no lengthy injury stoppages WTF is happening to the game I loved as a kid. Guess it is just the big money influence that has further ruined the game.

Rant over.....  A good win for the Lionesses. They now play Nigeria in the round of 16.

Denmark have beaten Haiti 2-0 and will go on to meet Australia in the round of 16.

Righto Oz, thanks for the update, ( I watched it too). It must be about 01.00am at your end, so must time for your bed. In which case, good night and God bless sunshine.

8 hours ago, Beekay said:

Righto Oz, thanks for the update, ( I watched it too). It must be about 01.00am at your end, so must time for your bed.

You got the time wrong Beekay. The game kicked off at 8:30 pm and was finished at 10:30 so it was "up the wooden hill to Bedfordshire" for me. Not really as we live in a single storey house but you know what I mean.

It is a freezing winters day here, top temperature of 13 deg C with the wind chill taking it down to 7.

Anyone been watching the women's World Cup? Japan look a useful outfit and comprehensively beat Norway 3-1 to enter the quarter finals. USA are playing Norway and have been all over them but neither side have scored. So 15 minutes each way extra time and then if still equal the dreaded penalty shoot out, a terrible way to lose a game.

Looking forward to tomorrow's games England vs Nigeria, this is by no means a gimme for the Lionesses as Nigeria will hit them with a fast break if they are not careful. Then comes Australia (Matildas) versus Denmark, this one will be close.

• Upvote 1