• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dad's favourite uncle, Gilbert Hudson, was a rep for Hotpoint in the 1920s and 30s. His patch was the east coast, including Grimsby.  Gilbert would motor over to the east coast at least two days per w

Thanks for that info Barclaycon. Paulus and others (including me) have already commented on the pathetic commentary coming out of Neville's mouth (on another 'World Cup' thread) but I don't think we'

Lizzie don't talk to me about tv remotes , once we went to our grand son's house to babysit , and there were about 7 remote controls for various things , so I said to my grandson,   Zack how do you tu

Just been into our local Co-op tonight and I noticed that they have still got England flags for sale.

As a light hearted joke, I mentioned to the Manager that they had been knocked out of the competition as a result of todays match.

He doesn't know much about football and does not keep track with any of the games.

He turned to one of the assistants and asked her to mark them down to half price tomorrow!

The funny thing is he wasn't joking....

Smiffy

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

If you were to watch a Dutch U11 training session you'd find it wholly different from one here. A typical session here at that age will involve lots of drills such as passing, dribbling, shooting etc. All skill based with no decisions needed by the player. In Holland ( and most European countries) you are more likely to see game-play after a technical session and speed work. There will be lots of 2v1, 3v3 and 4v4 work which will involve repetition but within a fluid situation so decision making at speed becomes a habit. Whilst our players, as they get older, may well be able to pass the ball when not under pressure, they lag behind their European counterparts when in tight situations as they haven't trained for it. It's insight our players don't develop as opposed to skills. Until we overhaul the coaching system from the bottom up we will continue to struggle with producing talent in the modern footballing era. When we do produce players they tend to be from clubs who have long since adopted European training methods.

Thought Chile' were unlucky last night, noticed a Forest man (ex?) missed a penalty for em.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Bad luck Australia.....well played Iceland.....great game between Spain and Portugal,,terrific goal from the 'winker',,this could be a really good World Cup.......Mr Putin will be pleased..........i hear England are looking for a cultered left side player,.......rang the Manager,but so far he's ignored me............

I just came back from lunch and as I was leaving the restaurant noticed the England v Tunisia game had just started. Will I have to adopt an American accent tomorrow to avoid embarrassment?

• Like 1

Crickey!  England just scored 

I think i’ll stick to Ainsley serry because with a Bulwell i’ll have to show ID and they'll take my kids from me - thinking about it they can have 2 of em.

• Like 1

England win,but need changes,,not one left sided player,,Sterling, linguard, and Young were awful,,Rashford and Loftus Cheek improved things,, still a win to kick off is good,,next the might of Panama,,

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 2:21 AM, benjamin1945 said:

Bad luck Australia.

I hope I am wrong but I don't think Australia will manage to score in free play as we do not have any attacking players. Lets see how they go against Denmark.

Though it was a win for England unfortunately I did not see much cause to be confident

• 4 years later...

OK everyone, the World Cup kicks off early on Monday morning our time. England's first match against Iran at 11:30 pm local time and then Australia vs France at 5:30 am here. Who will be watching in the UK?

I certainly will not be getting up at stupid o'clock to watch any of the matches live and in fact I am giving serious consideration to ignoring the whole competition for the following reasons.

• The competition should never have been awarded to Qatar in the first place for all the obvious much stated reasons. Obviously the mighty $$$$ was at play here.
  • Apart from following the local teams I have totally lost interest in the game since the mighty $$$$ took over. We do not get FTA coverage of the UK football in OZ
  • Pausing the EPL for 6 weeks whilst a few overpaid pampered plonkers, that come from clubs awash with other players, run around in air-conditioned stadiums. Yet again all about the mighty $$$$.  
  • Like 4

I see that the Qataris have back-flipped on their approval to allow the major beer sponsor Budweiser to sell beer for limited hours before and after the games outside the 8 football stadiums. For now you can still get a beer inside the stadium? I wonder what will happen if any of the lager louts cause any trouble with their behavior in public areas

What price a contract? I am sure that Budweiser will be having words with FIFA.

Yet another reason that they should never have been awarded the competition.

• Like 1