Yes it's World Cup time and I for one, enjoy watching world class football on the box.

However, over the years the coverage on TV has become harder and harder to watch. This time around it's even more annoying.

Starting off with ITV - they have the lamest pundits including Wrighty (he aint fick y'know), Lee Dickson - every football move can be likened to subbuteo, and Adrian Chiles - "we'll be right back after the break".

They cram as many adverts in as possible. I'm just waiting for the next England goal to be cut to a tic-tac advert!

On the BBC - the studio stuff seems to be directed by kids straight out of film school.

Camera's race around the studio and wander round when people are talking like some creepy uncle hovering about.

Silly little film clips that they've obviously been working on all day and and bizarre highlights with super-fast editing and as many Adobe 'After Effects' as possible.

Generally I try and avoid all the punditry, lame humour and film-school shit by checking the kick-off time and only turning the TV on then.

However, one thing I can't avoid is crap commentry throughout the game and in that we've reached a new high in lows - Phil Neville.

(The BBC's assumption that ex-players make good commentators is deeply flawed).

He was un-listenable! His drony voice and lame opinions were such a distraction that I had to mute the sound. Someone on twitter described him as sounding like a 'Dignitas Sat-nav'

But.... I discovered something that I'd like to pass on here to any other like-minded footy fans.

If you hit the red button you can choose instead to have the Radio 5 Live commentary over the picture, or indeed, no commentary at all - just the crowd noise. Deep joy!

Also, if you want to see highlights of games - go to the red-button on BBC 1.

They just have straight-forward extracts. No wacky editing.

Much, much better than the stupid effect-laden crap that you get on MOTD etc.

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dad's favourite uncle, Gilbert Hudson, was a rep for Hotpoint in the 1920s and 30s. His patch was the east coast, including Grimsby.  Gilbert would motor over to the east coast at least two days per w

Thanks for that info Barclaycon. Paulus and others (including me) have already commented on the pathetic commentary coming out of Neville's mouth (on another 'World Cup' thread) but I don't think we'

Lizzie don't talk to me about tv remotes , once we went to our grand son's house to babysit , and there were about 7 remote controls for various things , so I said to my grandson,   Zack how do you tu

Thanks for that info Barclaycon. Paulus and others (including me) have already commented on the pathetic commentary coming out of Neville's mouth (on another 'World Cup' thread) but I don't think we've ever used the red button in our house, it's complicated enough trying to turn the TV on !!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Cricket commentators are so much better (with the exception of Ian Botham) but none of them compere to the likes of John Arlott,Peter West,E.W.Swanton,Jim Laker and Trevor Bailey.

Not forgetting Rex Alston,Brian Johnston,Christopher Martin -Jenkins and Henry Blofield.

Not forgetting Rex Alston,Brian Johnston,Christopher Martin -Jenkins and Henry Blofield.

You've forgotten Fred Trueman ('I just do not know what is going off out there.')

For me, the classic Test Match Special commentary team on the radio was John Arlott, Brian Johnston, CMJ and Henry Blofeld with Bailey and Trueman as co-commentators.

Richie Benaud was good on the TV

Good commentators are knowledgeable, interesting and know when to shut up.

Just because someone is an ex-player, it doesn't mean that they will necessarily make a good commentator or pundit, but it seems that the BBC's qualification is mainly based on whether someone can talk without tripping up - or if they have nice hair.

It used to be the case that football matches had a main commentator to describe the action and an ex-player (or manager) to summarize.

Now they have 'co-commentators'. People like Andy Townsend on ITV - 'No doubt about it Clive', 'They need to quicken the pace a wee bit', 'I really think so; I really do'.

I don't need to be bombarded with stats either and I'm not desperate to see what people are saying about the match on Twitter. Decent coverage of the action is more than sufficient. Using Phil Neville on an important England game was deeply ill-advised, but at the opposite end of the spectrum there's the over-excited, screaming Jonathan Pearce who shouts even at the team selection. For an Arsenal game last season he said 'If this was an Elvis song - they'd be 'All shook up'.

He then went through a whole list of Elvis song-based puns that he'd pre-prepared - Arsene Wenger will be 'In the Ghetto' etc. etc.

What a twat!

Why would a football game be compared to an Elvis song? Other than to fulfill his need to make smart-ass comments and engage in lame humour.

Have a look on Youtube at his response to goal-line technology when they used it on the France goal. It's Alan Partridge territory!

Jonathan Pearce was recently on Pointless Celebrities. He was out in the first round which was on words. Shameful for a reporter whose career has been based on words.

The one I loath with a passion is Shearer. If I happen to watch MOTD and he's on, I'm guaranteed to be comatose in seconds.

CRICKET !!!!!!! No need to commentate, I'd be zzzzzzzzzzzing inside the first over.

• Upvote 1

John Motson almost bought our house in Hertfordshire when we were selling to move to Nottingham 10 years ago. He came to view twice with his wife and teenage son Freddy. Such a nice man ...... he didn't buy our house but he spent a long time with us chatting about football, having a laugh about his sheepskin coat etc. I know where he moved to, whether he's still there I've no idea, but understand he bought an old property, knocked it down and built a real Eco-friendly house with turf on the roof!

• Upvote 3

One of the best commentators/pundits is Mark Lawrenson on BBC TV. He is so funny. I'm watching the Brazil v Mexico game and the ball was deflected into the face of a Brazilian player. Lawrenson quipped "He took it flush in the mush"...lol

I enjoy watching lots of different sports including cricket. I spent many happy days at Trent Bridge as a child, with my dear Daddy, and since moving back to Nottingham a few years ago I've enjoyed a few days down there, mainly international matches. It wouldn't do for us all to like the same sports, we'd never get in the ground!!

A bit of common sense this afternoon. OZ versus Holland with Martin O'Neill and Patrick Vieira in the studio.

At last, and no Adrian Childs. Thank God.

Bl00dy hell, spoke too soon, Rio Ferdinand on tonight. Dribbling buffoon !!!!

I could come on here tonight and gloat about Australia going out of the World Cup. The England cricket team have taken enough stick so it would be pay back time. I've watched the Australian games and have been very impressed at how they have played. They could have beaten Holland but individual mistakes cost them the game as they lost 3-2. Cahill scored with a fantastic volley that should have won any match. The Australian football team is going home but the future looks good for them.

Tomorrow evening it's the turn of England against Uruguay and a certain Luis Suarez. England played well against Italy and would have won if they'd taken their chances. I think England are a better side with Terry and Cole playing but I respect, and agree, with their reasons for retiring from International football.

MB, you have hit the nail right on the head.

Individual mistakes have been their problem all through this series and it is a shame as they could have done much, much better. The first goal last night was courtesy of an Australian error.

That is not meant to take anything away from the fine teams that they have come up against and in each case, the winners deserved their victories.

I hope that your England team does well and comes out on top.

unionflag

6 of the 11 England team were Liverpool players, the irony is that a 7th Liverpool player scored the 2 goals against them, which could be the death knell of England in the competition.

Maybe a few players from other clubs might have had some bearing on the outcome.England has a lot of home grown talent that should be used.In my humble opinion.

• Upvote 2

6 of the 11 England team were Liverpool players, the irony is that a 7th Liverpool player scored the 2 goals against them, which could be the death knell of England in the competition.

Maybe a few players from other clubs might have had some bearing on the outcome.England has a lot of home grown talent that should be used.In my humble opinion.

I entirely agree. This influx of foreign players dilutes our home game. The F.A. practically admitted there is a problem when they suggested another league, something like a reserve league, to bring on English players. Foreign players should be strictly limited in number per team.

• Upvote 1

All the South American game I watched,sounded like a premier league match back in the U K.

Yes I agree, limits should be put on the amount of 'foriners' playing for English clubs.

It was a disappointing result but it's not the end of the road. While England still have a chance of going through then we should believe that we will. England have a new, young team and were always going to struggle in the heat of Brazil. Whatever happens in the remaining games the experience of participating in the World Cup will have been beneficial to our young players. We will see how beneficial when they play in the UEFA European Championships which are to be held in France in 2016.