Impending loss of a friend.

In my teens we used to knock around together, work hard play hard. He used to make sure I got home safely when I was too drunk to even walk straight. Now he has just weeks to live. I'm gutted.

My condolences, Bilbraborn.......Good friends are very hard to find....and by the sound of it, he is a true friend.

• Upvote 2

Your post saddened me, as I know the feeling well and truly understand what you must be going through at the moment.

I know it's little comfort at this time Bilbraborn, but you will get through it and look back to happy times you had.

You are very lucky to have a true friend who has helped you through life during the good and bad times.

It's a reminder to us all to appreciate life's little moments and try to get on with each other through those good and bad times that come to all of us.

I can see that you have many friends on here Bilbraborn, not the quite same I know, but I am sure those who read your post are all thinking of you.

It does sometimes help to express and share your feelings to others, so please keep in touch.

Smiffy

• Upvote 4

I know exactly how you feel. Last Friday I found out that the gentleman who took me fishing on Lake Michigan last year is in Hospice care. He and his wife will not be coming to Michigan this year.

I may not have known him long, but two days on a small boat together gives you a lot of time to get to know each other. Don and I somehow just hit it off and I think he got a big kick out of teaching a 61 year-old to fish!

I was looking forward to his return, and more chances to go out on the big lake to share stories, laughs and catch a few tasty dinners.

Bilbraborn: Stay strong for your friend, and always remember the good times. I can only hope that we have the same sort of friends when it is our turn.

• Upvote 3

My thoughts are with you Bilbraborn

• Upvote 2

#10Tomlinson,

In 1969, we moved to the area in The West Mids that we still live in. I knew no one as all of my family and friends were back home in Nottingham. We quickly made friends with a few neighbours, and would remain friends through the years. One particular couple, older than us, but we all got on so well. Going to works dances and birthday celebrations over the years. We have all shared each others happy and sad times. Our friend would always be in the garden and always left you smiling when you passed. Out of the blue, last week our friend Ron suffered a Stroke and didn't make it. This morning we were at his funeral, and this afternoon reality is setting in, that we will not see him again. I am sorry for the way you are feeling Bilbraborn, for your friend to be so ill. Please take comfort in knowing, we will share your sadness.

• Upvote 3

Bilbraborn, so very sorry to read your sad post. I suppose the majority of us Nottstalgians are getting to the age where we will lose good friends due to sickness as well as old age. Remember the good times you've had with your friend, those memories will remain with you for ever, to make you smile.

• Upvote 5

Like everyone else, Bilbraborn, I'm saddened to read about the impending loss of your friend. I notice that your friends on Nottstalgia have come together once again to offer their messages of support to a fellow Nottstalgian and I hope you will find solace in them.

• Upvote 2

sad to hear about your friend we have a friend going through the same thing at the moment funnily enough he also comes from bilobrough toovery sad

• Upvote 1

Thoughts are with you, your friend and their family Bilbraborn, at this very difficult time.

• Upvote 1

Thanks to all of you for your outpouring of love. It is comforting to feel this as we live in such an uncompromising world.

• Upvote 2

Bilbraborn,

Six years ago my young Brother age 54 was in the same position as your treasured friend. In his last few weeks I came home to Notts to be with him as he lived alone and wanted to be at home. I want you to know how much his friends meant to him at that time. He had been having an extention built on his house when he was given the awful news. From that day on, his friends kept him going. Right up to the moment he passed away, he could hear them banging and sawing away outside. He had a Classic Car, that he treated himself to, out of an insurance payout, payed because of his condition.This gave him and his friends something to talk about and enjoy. Bilbraborn, I tell you this because I have seen the affect having your friends carry on visiting and keeping normality as long as possible can have on the ill person. If you can be strong(and I know sometimes it isn't possible) You will mean such a lot to your friend. I have such a lot of admiration for the friends who helped my Brother.

• Upvote 4

Thanks for that Carni. But the real sympathy is for his wife, 4 kids and his grandkids. What upsets me is this is the guy who introduced me to my wife 40 odd years ago.

Just be there for him, Laugh when he feels like laughing at old memories, and listen when he wants to talk. His wife and family will see what is happening between you and it will mean a lot to them, as it did for us. His family will pull together, but some times its nice for friends to be around.

I can add nothing more to what has been said except perhaps - don't waste those remaining weeks. Good luck mate.

Just had a phone call. My poor mate just died. I went to see him Thursday night and from what I could see, it is probably a blessing. He is now out of pain. Please spare a thought for his family.