"Britain from Above" have added a few new photos from the early 1950s showing Clifton Estate in the process of being built. Only the bottom end of the estate had been started at this stage and the pattern of building seems a bit random; several roads are laid out with houses built, but there are gaps where further houses would come later. I think several Nottstalgians will recognise the area in the photos. And its amazing to see the area beyond Rivergreen - towards Green Lane - which is still fields and farm land.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/asearch?search=clifton%20estate

If you Register/Log in with Britain from Above you can use their Zoom facility which makes a massive difference.

It produces stuff like this photo I never expected to see. This is the house I lived in for the first 20+ years of my life. My parents were the first occupants of that house, but at this stage it was unfinished and the estate was uninhabited.

clifton1.jpg

Morning Cliff Ton,

Although registered some time ago I have not been on this site for a while, some very good pictures of Nottingham and further afield.

Thanks for posting the new one of Clifton, it's really nostalgic.

We used to live on Colleymore Leys Lane, off to the right of the picture showing your house.

I can remember at school it would take ages to write (and remember) my address !

I have just completed a bike ride (in my mind) around all of the streets in view, exhausted now as not an ice cream van in sight.

Our local park has not been built yet and I can't nip to the shops on Varney Road for my mother as they incomplete....

Clifton Grove maybe? Perhaps a bus trip to those wise men in Gotham?

Oh well, off to make a cup of tea to help me conjure up a few more memories....

Smiffy

Thanks for posting the new one of Clifton, it's really nostalgic.

We used to live on Colleymore Leys Lane, off to the right of the picture showing your house.

If you look at some of the other photos on my link to "Britain from Above" you'll see that Colleymore Leys Lane is visible in a semi-constructed state.