In the nottingham Post today they are talking about a Ferry' service down the Trent from Queens drive park and ride' to the 'football and cricket grounds" depending on government funding.

I think it could be really good for Nottingham and if approved could be taken alot further for tourism as a whole extending along the Trent.

If they really put some thought and imagination into it they could run a regular service to places like, Gunthorpe and Newark and perhaps even Gainsborough,

• Upvote 1

I had to laugh at Melissa's post (#2) and can envisage two boats running side by side full of opposing supporters. They'd be trying to get at each other and falling into the River Trent as they did so...lol. I know it would never happen but wouldn't it be a laugh. Takeshi's Castle comes to find..haha

• Upvote 1

I WAS THINKING MORE OF A PLEASURE TRIP,with a stop off in say Newark for a couple of hours shopping.

• Upvote 1

I had to laugh at Melissa's post (#2) and can envisage two boats running side by side full of opposing supporters. They'd be trying to get at each other and falling into the River Trent as they did so...lol. I know it would never happen but wouldn't it be a laugh. Takeshi's Castle comes to find..haha

You got it all wrong Michael,i think they would be shouting things like,,...........BEST TEAM WON OLD BOY, and i think your centre forward was terrific bye see you at our ground, :biggrin:

• Upvote 3

How long will it take to put in new moorings for the ferry service, will it be like the tram/A453/ oh and the ring road, will it take years before we get on it? or will it sink without trace .

• Upvote 1

The 'Vikings' managed it without too much bother,............well if you discount a bit of 'raping and pillaging'

I WAS THINKING MORE OF A PLEASURE TRIP,with a stop off in say Newark for a couple of hours shopping.

There is a pleasure boat that does river trips, moored along side the castle at Newark. I noticed the other day that the business is for sale.

With a bit of investment and the right Marketing,you could have a 'winner' on your hands,how about 'Nottstalgia river trips'

LETSAVAGOO'..... :)

• Upvote 1

Especially if you had the Viking touch (#15) with raping and pillaging being part of the cruise itinerary, at an extra cost of course! slywink

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Try as I may,just can't imagine the Trent having the same allure as 'The Blue Danube'.But I suppose with the poor old taxpayer footing the bill,anything could happen:)

think its passable up to clifton bridge but some verry shallow spotsabove that hence the canal till you get to beeston wear , the nottingham princess and another river cruiser forgot its name still opperating fronthe old pleasure park sight so they could use them i supose

Personally, I think it is very disappointing the way Nottingham (and Nottinghamshire) has largely ignored its waterways and towpaths. The Trent may not be the Danube, but could still be a very pleasant recreational attraction for tourists and locals if developed properly. The situation with Nottinghamshire canals is even sadder.

Did any of you used to go on the river trips down to Ratcliffe on Trent and back in the 50's, it used to be a Sunday afternoon treat for us at the time. E1/B2 into Mount Street, trolleybus down to Trent Bridge, the boats used to be moored up on dodgy piers next to the bridge. Crash out on a seat on the deck in the sunshine and enjoy the view, even as a kid I don't recall ever getting bored with the experience, I used to look forward to it. I presume it's not what people want anymore, they do trips for tourists down the Thames from Westminster, constantly being blared at from loudspeakers, it doesn't appeal to me. If anyone wants a really good boat trip, try the seal trips from Blakeney in Norfolk, good old fashioned stuff with fantastic old boys running the show in converted ships lifeboats, it's like being in a time warp.

• Upvote 1

I remember barges loading up at Trent Lane and heading down the Trent to the Humber. All the locks were widened years ago - I remember the barges going through the one at Holme Pierrepont. The river is too shallow downstream from Clifton Bridge, that is why Beeston canal is used, as mentioned. But it is only a wide canal with 8ft x 70ft locks (approx.).

To digress slightly, my grand-daughter and I walked all the way from Chesterfield to Staveley on the Chesterfield canal two years ago. We were very impressed with the way it has been rebuilt. I believe it is to be eventually re-opened all of its length including the tunnel at Norwood.