• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The curved metal line that runs down the middle of Slab Sq denotes the wall which used to divide the Anglo-Saxon & Norman communities.  

Nottinghamshire legend Robin Hood regularly visited the Market Square's Weatherspoons before looting John Lewis.

benjamin1945 (#34), if you'd married a Nottingham girl, you'd have only been married once..

In August 1992 Nottingham Forest v Liverpool was the first Premier League game ever broadcast on Sky.

Forest won 1-0 with a goal from Teddy Sherringham.

• Upvote 1

I thought Nottingham's reputation was the ratio was higher for having more gals than boys.

But I would never argue, it had a lot of pretty gals.

• Upvote 1

I went out with a munter from Mansfield, she worked in a biscuit barrel factory, on every date she gave me a biscuit barrel she'd nicked, Mam had more biscuit barrels than she knew what to do with..

My present SWMBO is from Hucknall, so was my ex, so they must be pretty here..

• Upvote 2

Sytners of BMW dealership is said to have owned the building which housed the Cavern club in Liverpool.

Nottingham Forest Football Club was founded in 1865 by a group of shinty players and were known as Nottingham Forest Football and Bandy Club. Their home was the Forest Recreation Ground which was a racecourse from the late 17th late century until the late 19th century.

From Nottinghamshire History.

In 1704 the great Duke of Marlborough defeated the French forces under Marshal Tallard at Blenheim, and captured their illustrious general. Marshal Tallard was sent to live in Nottingham under parole.

His courtesy and innate goodness soon made him popular, and to him our forefathers owed many novel and useful innovations. He taught their wives how to make white bread and how to prepare salads, and he taught the men how to grow roses. The greatest gift we owe to him is celery. He had known the plant in France, and sadly missed it in England, where its use was unknown.

He found it growing wild in the marshes at Lenton, and cultivated it in his garden.

Bramley Apples originate in Nottinghamshire.

The first 'Bramley's Seedling' tree grew from pips planted by Mary Ann Brailsford when she was a young girl in her garden in Southwell Nottinghamshire, UK in 1809. The tree in the garden was later included in the purchase of the cottage by a local butcher, Matthew Bramley in 1846. In 1856, a local nurseryman, Henry Merryweather asked if he could take cuttings from the tree and start to sell the apples. Bramley agreed but insisted that the apples should bear his name.

• Upvote 1

The Bramley apple hails from Nottinghamshire UK. A young girl called Mary Ann Brailsford who lived in Southwell, Nottinghamshire is believed to have sown some apple pips in her garden between 1809 and 1813 one of which which grew into the first Bramley apple tree. Unfortunately, it isn't known from where she got the original pips, however the nature of sowing seed from fruit is that they often don't mirror the original plant so it is safe to say that the original fruit from where she took the pip bore little resemblance to today's Bramleys

Good Question Mick. This is the best I can find!

• Upvote 1

GEM Supercentre , West Bridgford . The UKs first out of town shopping centre opened 50 years ago ( this coming November)

• Upvote 1