• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The curved metal line that runs down the middle of Slab Sq denotes the wall which used to divide the Anglo-Saxon & Norman communities.  

Nottinghamshire legend Robin Hood regularly visited the Market Square's Weatherspoons before looting John Lewis.

benjamin1945 (#34), if you'd married a Nottingham girl, you'd have only been married once..

When you’re in the Old Market Square, look up at the architecture above Ladbrookes on Long Row and you will see the façade (which is grade II listed) of the 600 seat "Picture House" cinema that opened 1912 and closed in 1921. It never converted to sound.

Re #49, when the Hall was built in the 1580's, it was reputed to have cost £80,000 then, so what this would equate to in today's terms goodness knows, but a lot of brass, and all from coal. It is believed that the first tracked railway in the World was built in 1603 to link up the mines between Wollaton and Strelley.

When you’re in the Old Market Square, look up at the architecture above Ladbrookes on Long Row and you will see the façade (which is grade II listed) of the 600 seat "Picture House" cinema that opened 1912 and closed in 1921. It never converted to sound.

Is that what used to be Lyons restaurant?

Wollaton Hall completed 1588 (same year as Armada was repelled) and darn near bankrupted the Willoughby family, originally called Bugge but origins was Willoughby on the wolds. It was sold by Nottm City Council in 1924. It should have been along with the auction which sold off all Lord Middleton's lands in Nottinghamshire, including Broxtowe Hall, Aspley Hall, all the countryside from Aspley to Wollaton and along to Trowell. This included cottages at Cherry Orchard, the Admiral Rodney at Wollaton and many other farms and residences in between. Wollaton Hall was took off the auction and sold privately to the council, who in turn recouped their outlay by selling the east part of Wollaton Park for housing which became Wollaton Hall Estate bisected by Middleton Boulevard. There were conditions of the sale one of which was to not get rid of any of the stuffed animals and other trophies many of which are hidden away in the cellars at Wollaton Hall. At least we can all still look at George.

Nottinghamshire born TV & radio presenter Richard Bacon's ancestors opened the first ever butchers in the UK in 1567 in Ravenshead 'Bacon's Bacon' & it still exists today...........................draws breath!..................Wow!

Nottingham is supposed to have the best tasting tap water in the UK, but Bristol also claims theirs is best, perhaps they can be joint best. I never waste money on bottled water, I guzzle it straight from the tap..

#52 Dave, Interesting comment re Hucknall, as I had read that it originated from the name Oaken Hall.

Nottingham is supposed to have the best tasting tap water in the UK, but Bristol also claims theirs is best, perhaps they can be joint best. I never waste money on bottled water, I guzzle it straight from the tap..

My CAT does that

A man from Nottingham Invented the cats eye.

I got married goose fair Saturday 3 00 pm football kick off time.

A Luton man, Freddie Lee first lodged a cats eyes patent application in 32 but due to family commitments and finances, could not progress with his patent application. Two years later, Shaw patented his cats eyes and forged a very illuminating future....

http://www.catseyes.com/

http://www.catseyes.com/freddie-lee-biography.php

OK I'll hold my hands up sorry if I was wrong

Around 1965, I was told by an old man who lived on Crew Terrace, Norton Street Radford, that he was the first man to paint white lines down the middle of the road. At Bobbers Mill Bridge, so that trolley buses could navigate in the fog.