• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The curved metal line that runs down the middle of Slab Sq denotes the wall which used to divide the Anglo-Saxon & Norman communities.  

Nottinghamshire legend Robin Hood regularly visited the Market Square's Weatherspoons before looting John Lewis.

benjamin1945 (#34), if you'd married a Nottingham girl, you'd have only been married once..

Peter Bowles ("To the Manor Born" and "Only when I Laugh" among others) lived on Kersall Drive, Bulwell and went to High Pavement.

Two of our Greatest Cricketers are buried at Gedling Church.

Gedling attracts other pilgrims than antiquaries, for in its churchyard lie two of our greatest cricketers. Arthur Shrewsbury, who died in 1903, was born at Lenton in 1856, and of him Dr. W. G. Grace said that he was the greatest batsman of his age. In 1887 he played eight three-figure innings, scored 1,653 runs and his average was 78. He was buried in Gedling churchyard, as also was Alfred Shaw, who died in 1907, and in his day was known as " The Emperor of Bowlers."

Almost 300 years after Wollaton Hall was completed for the Willoughby family its design was copied for Mentmore Towers in Buckinghamshire, built for Baron Mayer de Rothschild in the 1850's.

• 4 weeks later...

Ed Balls went to Crossdale Drive Primary School in Keyworth and then Nottingham High School.

..... and it was all downhill from there.

Tarmac was first patented in 1901 by Edgar Hooley, Welsh-born but at the time County Surveyor for the council. Does anyone know if the eponymous garage formerly on Derby Road belonged to the same family?

St Pancras Station was built from 60 million Nottingham bricks

There is a nice book on Nottingham brick makers entitled.

"Clay Stealers to St Pancras Station" by

Jeffrey A. Sheard.

ISBN 978-1-61364-347-1

It's an A3 sized paper back & a little pricey @ 17.95

I used to work there in 1968. Damned hard work, but it kept me fit.

• 2 years later...
On 10/12/2016 at 1:58 PM, radfordred said:

This years Goose Fair was the first time in history that the locals where allowed to use there own guns & ammunition on the shoot them up stalls .............. fact!

What could possably go wrong there.

I wonder if any one turned up trying to be smart with a 12 gauge shot gun :)

There used to be a sign above the doors of the Ritzy/Palias nightclub. One of my friends who was head door man there told me too look up and  read what it says I doubt most people ever knew it was there :)

(Through these doors are some of the most beutiful girls in the country)

I think thats right.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Was there. My mother took me, as my dad couldn't stand Lonnies Glaswegian whine !

I always liked his skiffle and bluesy numbers, but not so much his novelty songs. 

• 9 months later...

Sue Pollard was i think was  from Nottm

Alfred Hitchcocks wife from Long Hill Rise Hucknall

Alan Stillitoe (Saturday night & Sunday morning)

Notts County one of the first football clubs

Jessy Boot first Chemist also Nottingham Uni   which in 1960s Highfields  you could skate on the lake  as it was  frozen

YES!! the pretty Girls do come from Nottingham date unknown but most of them worked at Boots, Ericsons ,&  John PLayers

YES!!! The Lions would roar when a Virgin passed

Last claim to fame Lord Bryon statue in Hucknall  used to be co-op on Hucknall market place was painted by my uncle Jim.