DaveN

Nottingham Facts

Bills mam gets a lot of rain isitsafe

Rog

Peter Bowles ("To the Manor Born" and "Only when I Laugh" among others) lived on Kersall Drive, Bulwell and went to High Pavement.

Ed Balls went to Crossdale Drive Primary School in Keyworth and then Nottingham High School.

The Nottingham caves are unique in that they are all hand-carved.

• Upvote 1

Ken Clarke MP used to live in Bulwell; his dad ran Clarke's jeweller's shop on Highbury Vale.

Two of our Greatest Cricketers are buried at Gedling Church.

Gedling attracts other pilgrims than antiquaries, for in its churchyard lie two of our greatest cricketers. Arthur Shrewsbury, who died in 1903, was born at Lenton in 1856, and of him Dr. W. G. Grace said that he was the greatest batsman of his age. In 1887 he played eight three-figure innings, scored 1,653 runs and his average was 78. He was buried in Gedling churchyard, as also was Alfred Shaw, who died in 1907, and in his day was known as " The Emperor of Bowlers."

St Pancras Station was built from 60 million Nottingham bricks

Almost 300 years after Wollaton Hall was completed for the Willoughby family its design was copied for Mentmore Towers in Buckinghamshire, built for Baron Mayer de Rothschild in the 1850's.

Ed Balls went to Crossdale Drive Primary School in Keyworth and then Nottingham High School.

..... and it was all downhill from there.

Tarmac was first patented in 1901 by Edgar Hooley, Welsh-born but at the time County Surveyor for the council. Does anyone know if the eponymous garage formerly on Derby Road belonged to the same family?

St Pancras Station was built from 60 million Nottingham bricks

There is a nice book on Nottingham brick makers entitled.

"Clay Stealers to St Pancras Station" by

Jeffrey A. Sheard.

ISBN 978-1-61364-347-1

It's an A3 sized paper back & a little pricey @ 17.95

I bought that last year. Amazing book. I always had a fascination for the Nottingham Patent Brickworks.

I used to work there in 1968. Damned hard work, but it kept me fit.

This years Goose Fair was the first time in history that the locals where allowed to use there own guns & ammunition on the shoot them up stalls .............. fact!

• Upvote 1

#88 Bloomin heck how things must have changed. They all must have used .22RF but even so they fairground people only used to use .22RF short where as most target shooters use .22RF long rifle which a lot more powerful.

On 10/12/2016 at 1:58 PM, radfordred said:

This years Goose Fair was the first time in history that the locals where allowed to use there own guns & ammunition on the shoot them up stalls .............. fact!

What could possably go wrong there.

I wonder if any one turned up trying to be smart with a 12 gauge shot gun :)

There used to be a sign above the doors of the Ritzy/Palias nightclub. One of my friends who was head door man there told me too look up and  read what it says I doubt most people ever knew it was there :)

(Through these doors are some of the most beutiful girls in the country)

I think thats right.

On Tuesday, July 01, 2014 at 11:05 AM, DAVIDW said:

Speaking of football shirts , Notts County inspired Juventus choice of shirt and don't forget Herbert Kilpin, butchers son of Mansfield Road that formed the now mighty A.C.Milan

Lonnie Donegan played his first concert after hitting the 'big time'  at the Nottingham Empire.  His last concert was at the Royal Centre, on his 'this could be the last time'  tour.

Was there. My mother took me, as my dad couldn't stand Lonnies Glaswegian whine !

10 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Lonnies Glaswegian whine

Still learning, I never knew he was a Scot, from his accent I would have guessed a Londoner.

I always liked his skiffle and bluesy numbers, but not so much his novelty songs.