Jake the Peg found guilty

'Two little boys' was the first record I ever bought at a record shop on Main Street Bulwell, rushed home on my Honda 50 moped to play it on my new Dansette Viva record player. Sad end to his long career..

We used to play 'kissy catch' when I was a kid in the Meadows, (when Jackie was on I didn't run very fast as I wanted her to catch me) I expect that is illegal now..

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I too feel sad for Rolf, as I do for all the other old well known personalities (except Jimmy Savile who we all agree was very odd anyway). It's been a witch hunt, all these victims jumping on the com

I read so many times, and have thought the same way as lots of people," Why have they taken so long to speak up". I have thought about whether to tell you this story so many times, and to tell you in

Let's hope he drops his soap in the showers, & some hunky guy whispers in his ear................d'yer know what it is yet?

#25 All that glitters is not gold.

Looking at these pictures made me just throw away my Harris paint brushes, only bought them yesterday from B&Q.

Seriously, it is all really very sad for everyone concerned.

What a diverse and odd species we are!!??

I read so many times, and have thought the same way as lots of people," Why have they taken so long to speak up". I have thought about whether to tell you this story so many times, and to tell you in a way as to protect the people I love dearly, but want to speak up for. We have been through this ourselves. The person accused was a close family member. To the shock of us all, three female members of our family and others, had been sexually abused by him, one from the age of 8 and another 11. Why didn't they speak up? Because they were children. The one child (All now adults) told me, she blocked it from her mind, until it came to light. The one who suffered most, endured it for 5/6yrs. It took a further two yrs to get to court. Right up until the week before the case, the victims were all devastated and terrified of recounting their ordeals in detail. even though they would be behind a screne. Thankfully the person spared them, and pleaded Guilty the week before. If only to reduce his sentence. So this is our personal story of why Sometimes child victims don't speak up.

I will add that, you can't imagine how those of us feel who entrusted our families near this man.

• Upvote 5

It certainly puts a different perspective on it when you can relate to personal experience Carni. I'm sure there are vile paedophiles walking amongst us wherever we may be. But in my opinion these cases of elderly television personalities being dragged through the courts 40 or 50 years on is a waste of public money. The victims have come forward because there is compensation to be had. They were most probably there at the time because they thought it was cool to have an association with a well known personality. Just think about it ....... it would not have been easy to get up close to these men when they were top tv personalities. Did you ever try to get to meet your favourite pop star at the stage door? Not easy was it? Savile was different, he worked it so he was able to interfere with sick and vunerable people in hospitals. I met him once at Stoke Mandeville Hospital and he gave me a kiss on the cheek ...... it makes me feel sick thinking about that now ...... but I've used the story quite a few times, because he was well known. If he'd been some random bloke walking along the hospital corridor it wouldn't be worth talking about would it? We've also met DLT several times as we lived in the next village to him years ago and I'd see him regularly around the area. Last met him at a friend's birthday party 18 months ago. I still don't think he is guilty of serious offences.

• Upvote 2

Sex in any form just was'nt discussed in the 50s,it was a Taboo' subject,consequently episodes of 'abuse' were very very hush hush.

• Upvote 1

I can't speak for any of the people who are coming forward with allegations of abuse by famous people. Lots of people think It is a waste of money, to take them to court. Perhaps so! I, like many people, believe that some of these people are jumping on the 'Band Wagon' for compensation. But as you see, I have seen and listened to why genuine victims kept quiet for so long. The one particular victim still can't freely talk about it, and never will, because, for her and the others involved in my story. The effects of this abuse on them is going to be life long.

Back in the early 80's, I worked with 'disturbed adolescent kids', 12 - 18 years old.The majority of them had been sexually abused,in most cases by a family member, or a friend of the family.

All but a few of the cases I dealt with,had the same reason for not telling any adult.Their life,or the life of a younger sibling,or their mother was threatened by the perpetrator.

These kids had suffered for years, alone and in fear.It is no wonder they were 'disturbed',having to deal with everyday life ,and at the same time the sexual abuse.

Can relate to this too. A friend of mine was abused by her step Father at the age of 5 until around 11 years old. She never told anyone but told me when we were 16 years old. I tried to persuade her to tell her mother but she was too frightened. After a near death scare due to ill health she told her Mum and it went to court. He got away with it as the other girls he abused were too scared to give evidence... He now lives just around the corner from my friend when he's not to be within 4 miles of her. So in a nutshell one reason why people may not have spoken up earlier was because 1. They are too frightened and scared. 2. They only realise later on in life that it is wrong... How is a child to know really? 3. They fear speaking up won't help anything. As it didn't with my friend.

• Upvote 3

Even divorce was very much 'frowned upon' in the 50s,and i believe many women suffered a less than happy life because they were afraid to go thru with it.

• Upvote 2

As others have said things were very different back then.

Last night I watched a program called Sounds of the 60s one part showed Manfred Man in an 1965 episode of BBC2s Beat Room, pretty much like Top of the Pops with a live audience. A group of three of four young teenage girls got close to the stage and were stroking his buttocks and thighs, he slapped them of a good few times but they kept coming back for more. Whether they were incited to do it I know not but today there would be an uproar.

Even my SWMBO admits she got a piece of Dave Davis's 'Rays brother' trousers when the group appeared at the Pavilion Gardens in Buxton.

Very difficult to decide on some of these cases. In the 60s groupies were queuing up to get intimate with their fave stars, many of who were probably too drunk or high to realise how young some of them were. Obviously there were many who knowingly did things they knew they shouldn't. I believe in these celeb cases, there were some who genuinely had bad experiences. Some who should have known better. Some stars who exploited. But there are definitely some people out there who are only in it for the money. I would say whatever wrong intentions from either side of the case, I only hope that their consciences come into play. I think there is a problem with what was acceptable fifty years ago is no longer acceptable, but it is wrong to apply todays culture in a case from fifty years ago unless it was really bad. My wife was abused when she was little but she says there is a danger of too many cases like this causing sexual offences to be trivialised.

Today the definition of 'abuse' has spread to include so many things. My wife worked as a Class Assistant at a local school and if a child needed comforting or any sort of treatment, including the taking of prescribed medicine, the parent had to be called and the child not touched. To make any sort of contact would be termed 'abuse'. Of course, sexual abuse is a terrible thing and deserves punishing with severity, where it occurs, but it seems to me there is no guidance as to what constitutes 'abuse', sexual or otherwise. Our local Am. Dram. group has to have permission from a responsible person for photographs to be taken of a cast, particularly sensitive when children are involved. The age of innocence has passed and we 'walk on eggshells'.

When I was a taxi driver in the mid/late 80's I'd pick up at the Astoria on Wednesday nights, some were 13/14/15 year old schoolgirls bragging about the blokes they'd picked up, they'd be worried about getting up for school next morning. You'd have thought they were late teens/early 20's by the way they looked. Of course they were called 'Jailbait.'

• Upvote 1

In regard of sentencing, the judge will look at other similar cases to be seen to be fair. Max Clifford was given 8 years custody for 8 counts of indecent assault. RH was convicted on 12 counts of indecent assault. I think immediate custody is inevitable rather than a suspended sentence. The similarity is that both pleaded not guilty, leading to a trial and the need for victims to recount the events for the public record.

Just about anybody could claim they were abused by these old men 40 years ago, nobody, including Rolf, Stuart Hall, Max Clifford, DLT and the rest of them would remember anything about it unless the offences went on for a long time. I can't remember a lot of what I was doing that long ago!

• Upvote 3

There's a similarity in the descriptions of the abuse though - they couldn't make that up independently.

When you look back through the the thread, there are 3 people here who know someone who has experienced this sort of abuse, and that's with a smallish number of people here.

I accept that some young girls may have "thrown themselves" at certain stars, but Rolf Harris for example was hardly a heartthrob. It was HIS fault, not theirs.