Trent Bridge, + pleasure boating on the river.

Hi Mark and welcome to the site.

Nice evocative photograph.

Too early for I should think everyone on here but I do remember going on something similar in the 1950's.

The stone steps of the flood bank had also been built at that time.

There is a thread somewhere on this site about all of this.

Smiffy

• 1 month later...

Trent Bridge brings back a lot of memories for me. Fishing for gudgeon from the steps, alongside the pleasure boat landing stage as a kid. Trips to Pleasure Park Colwick on the pleasure boat. Taking out a rowing boat when I was a bit older. On Sundays when I was fishing the rowing clubs were out training with their coach cycling along the embankment, shouting instructions. Us kids used to shout 'EEEEASY OAR' and laughed when some oarsmen stopped rowing. I think that justice was done 3 years ago when I tried to join Nottm Rowing Club as a senior - it turned out that I was to old to get insurance! So I got no further with my ambition to scull on the Trent.

Anyone visiting Trent Bridge and walking under the arch on the city side will see carved markings of flood water heights; 1947 being the highest.

• Upvote 1

welcome mark i have on my livingroom walla print of the river at this point its very similar veiw to this i also have a print of rhe river at willford and one of nottingham castle showing the river leen and the trip to jeruselem all from about the same eara

My old man told me when he was a young-un that the Trent used to freeze over in winter enough to go ice skating?.I too have a lovely photo of the old man my sister and myself on the embankment near the war memorial I think it was?I had a pal who had an old Icelandic fishing trawler moored near the Nottm Council office steps,he was restoring it and for money he would walk the embankment for worms and then sell them through fishing magazines.

I think the winter of 1947 was one of the worst,well that is between 1941 and 1964 when I came to OZ

rch on the city side will see carved markings of flood water heights; 1947 being the highest.

• 3 months later...

I can remember going to the pleasure beach at Colwick Park with my aunty Grace, she lived over a fish shop on Arkwright Street............we caught the boat at Trent Bridge, was always Sunday afternoons in the summer holidays back in the 1950's......

TBI, can't help you with the chimney but the attached link to PTP has what appears to be the same steamers and gives a loose time frame of C1900:

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM009836&pos=39&action=zoom&id=61281

• Upvote 1

Some really great pictures there. I never knew there was a waterworks in that place. I guess the original picture was very early then, probably not too long after the new bridge was built in the 1870's.

Thanks Trevor S and poohbear.

Is that the side where the Football grounds and the Boat Clubs were built ?...........When I was at school we played hocket at Trent Pool..................

• 5 years later...

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Ray.

According to the source of these photos, they both show the boat named Sunbeam and are obviously taken around the run of the century, so your g-grandfather could well be in both photos. In the top image, the building behind is the old version of Nottm Forest's City Ground. I think the lower photo could on the bend where the embankment is now.

wH4ql5q.jpg