• 2 months later...

I was confused there for a minute (no comment!) Looking at the 2nd photo, it looked like the location of the old Playhouse. It was, I didn't realize it started life as a cinema.

I also remember a couple of school trips to the old Playhouse. One was to see an adaptation of 'Oliver Twist' (note - NOT the musical 'Oliver!') and the actor playing Fagin later visited the school (Blue Bell Hill) to give a talk to the class. No idea if he was anyone famous or not.

The other trip was to see 'Maria Marten or The Murder in the Red Barn'. Again, no idea who was in it as I didn't bother with programmes in those days.

At least your school visits to the Playhouse were much more interesting than ours, we saw Macbeth. Bored to tears and the only thing I can remember from it was the witches scene.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

This short film popped up on the Nottingham facebook site yesterday . Made in the 60s and features some stills and film of the old cinemas .

• Upvote 1

Thank you David for the video. Very interesting.

I love to read anything about Nottingham past and present;mainly past. I had no idea that there was a Nottingham site on Face Book as I don't participate. Do you have the full title; so I can see if I can get on the site and if so I will add a shortcut onto my laptop.

Like mgread I also used to go to the three penny rush at the Windsor on a Saturday and if there were to many kids they used to come round shouting "Two on a Seat"

I also remember the Boulevard at Hyson green didn't give tickets but metal discs instead. The Orion on Alfreton Road we were watching a film and we could see the crossing lights blinking on and off outside

Thank you David. The deed is now done.

I am actually on Facebook, it's been so long since I joined that I had forgotten! I only remembered, when I clicked the Link you gave. I'm sure I will enjoy the Nottm Site.

For anyone who hasn't seen this one. Here is another Link to a site I enjoy.

http://stannswellroad.weebly.com/

• Upvote 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...