Help,Two Itchy People in need of Advice!! Is there anyone out there, who can recommend a reliable Insect and Nettle Sting Cream or Spray. So far this week we have spent £12.00, and we still Itch. We know when the Nettles have got us, because we see them close the tow path in wait for us. But we are covered in Bites, from what we don't know. What ever bites us, must sit on the Nettles and watch, if they miss us, Then the insects make sure they get us!!!

I've tried everything on the market over the years, mozzies just bring their mates for tea, I do spray one called "OFF" over here around my boots and socks, does keep the chigger bites down, but I wouldn't use it on bare skin, the stuff is toxic..

Anyone will tell you Australia has the most friendly flies in the world, when they come and visit, and that's as soon as you step outside, they come to party with the whole tribe, in your ears, up your nose, even sneak into your eyes, never found anything that worked to keep the buggers away.

Stateside we have mozzies, chiggers, sweat bees, sweat flies, and flies and flies and flies, I just put up with the buggers, nowt seems to work even 10% of the time.

• Upvote 1

Aloe gel is very good for all sorts of itchy rashes, and so is lavender oil. If you have an aloe plant just break a leaf and rub the insides over the affected skin, if you don't have aloe but do have house leeks growing in the garden try them, they work just as well, they are all part of the same family. Dock leaves and plantain are good too, but not as instant as aloe.

Calamine is cooling at first, but becomes more itchy as it dries I find.

I make my own insect repellent, which works a treat and also soothes itches. Can put the recipe on if you want to try making it.

• Upvote 1

Post it, I'll give it a try, if it keeps ticks, sweat bees and flies, and chiggers off me it will be worth it..

• Upvote 1

I was reading somewhere, if you get bitten by a mozzie, use a hot spoon, not hot enough to burn though!! on the bite area, rub it and the heat breaks down the mozzies enymes it leaves behind...I'd suspect it will work on most bites.

• Upvote 1

I don't get insect bites too often, maybe it is a case of the French insects, don't like English meat,

But if I do get stung or bitten by something I use Tea Tree Oil which is an Essential oil, I put a drop onto my finger and rub it onto the bite or sting and it will vanish within an hour or so.

To repel insects I use Citronella oil, which is a natural insect repellent,

They are both natural, so you don't have any chemicals to worry about.

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone.

We have the Calamine Lotion and Antihistamine, but we still Itch, especially at Bed Time.

I will keep all your tips in mind. I am going to give Darkazana's recipe a go. Are you going to have me climbing up trees and scrambling through hedges, to find the Natural ingredients Darkazana. Yes please, I would like your recipe.

PS, and your Guzgog Jelly.

Thanks Melton Stilton, We will keep going until we find one that works.

• Upvote 1

You should walk around my place MS, chiggers just don't care about nationality.....They can make a mess of your feet, trouble is, they are so damned small you cannot see them with the naked eye, but by God, they make you itch.

i also use citrenella oil mixed with baby oil as a repelant

1 egg cup baby oil to 3/4 drops cittranella oil . works for me. i use a small plastic bottle empty hand clenser bottles are great fill it up nearly to the top with babby oil then add about 12 drops cittranella to it put the top back on shake well . and keep it in the car or hand bag rub on bere parts of your flesh when ever you near flies gnatts insects ect.

• Upvote 1

Sounds a bit yucky but might be worth trying pile cream for the itching !

Tempting fate to say I don't get bitten much but used to suffer from itchy legs and ankles , especially in the winter .Then read different remedies and someone mentioned pile cream .

In our shop we used to sell one called Care Haemorrhoid Cream for a pound and it worked a treat , so if you can find it in your local pound shop might be worth a try .

Dearer here but this is what it looks like

http://www.weldricks.co.uk/product/3168804_care-haemorrhoid-relief-ointment-25g?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=GoogleShop&_$ja=cgid:5469211749|tsid:45416|cid:113219349|lid:18283950120|nw:search|crid:18293365989|dvc:c|adp:1o2|bku:1&gclid=CMee-_PTsb8CFWfHtAod8g4AlQ

• Upvote 1

Baseball caps don't have brims.....LOL

Carni

We have a natural cream here called "Natures Botanicals" (maybe do a google to see the ingredients) it is fantastic for stopping the damn things biting in the first place! It is one of the very few creams that actual work against our ozzy bush flies.

Was originally developed by an equine place for horses faces to stop the flys and other insects but is now widely available for human use, and being natural is totally safe.

It does smell a little like a sports rub but it works. Not sure if you have anything similar in blighty.

Also we have a 3 way antiseptic creme for when you have already been bitten, it has an antiseptic, histamine and anesthetic in it, stops the itching instantly.

• Upvote 1

Rumor has it that Avon's "Skin so Soft" works very well as an insect repellent - smells reasonable too! I just bought one of the personal fan thingies that you wear on your belt - seems to work pretty well.

• Upvote 1

With everyone elses suggestions you have a good recipe already but here is mine anyway.

Insect Repellant Recipe

1 fluid oz almond oil, 5 drops each of lemongrass or citronella, eucalyptus, lavender and tea tree essential oils.

Mix together in a 100ml spray bottle (the travel ones you can get in supermarkets are good)

Mix well then fill bottle with vodka (the best alcohol for the job!)Shake bottle before each use and spray on before going out. Smells quite lemony and fresh, and as I mentioned works on bites too to soothe them.

The alcohol helps the lotion to evaporate and keeps it from being too oily.

As Meltonstilton says a dab of teatree oil is good too on bites and stings, it's a natural antiseptic.

PS. going home for a couple of days on Wednesday afternoon, so I'll look up the jelly recipe then.

• Upvote 1

Thank you Darkazana,

The ingredients sound interesting. I bet if the spray doesn't deter the little blighters.They will at least fly away happy with all the Vodka!! :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Bugger the bugs....that mix is too good for them!

I'll drink the lot and attack them from the inside out...hic!

If you don't like destroying the wildlife take Tommy Cooper's advice,

"I don't use fly spray on flies. I use hairspray. It doesn't kill them they just glide out of the window"

• Upvote 1

I buy the cheapo stuff for making up sprays, its better than the commercial alcohol that goes into over the counter lotions, and just think how good you feel absorbing it through the skin :cheers:

• Upvote 1