Last week in the Market Square there was a promotion for Avon, and I took home a catalogue. Not having looked at Avon for a very long time I was surprised that the cream perfumes are no more. Anyone remember those tempting little screw top pots, each individually designed and with their own delicious rich and creamy fragrance? My favourites then were....Wishing, Rapture, Here's my Heart, Somewhere, To a Wild Rose, and Pretty Peach. Even the names are evocative of the time, don't you think?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Around 1960, I used Sandalwood perfume, but then someone told me that Sandalwood was used in the treatment of syphilis!! So I gave that one up in case anyone thought .......

I remember wearing Blue Lipstick at some stage, I think that was around 1962, when we were just starting to experiment with make up. and later, drawing the imitation lashes underneath the eyes. One lo

That's right. Used in this case to let me know she disapproved what I was up to. If only she knew!

I still have my Little Blue Girl container. She is a bit worse for wear though, given to me in late 60s or early 70s from Avon. I think it contained my favorite Topaz perfume.

I used to love the Pretty Peach line for little girls. I can still remember the smell. I think I still have one of the peach bottle tops somewhere at Mums.

Still a lot of the brands around now. Rimmel, Max Factor, Number 7 and Cutex. Not sure about Outdoor Girl, Miners or Angel Face. Prices a bit different though! My Mary Quant mascara cost 12/9 and that was the most expensive item in my collection. Apart from my mirror which cost 6d, the cheapest were Rimmel eyeliners at 1/9. My mum used to call it Rimmel Rammel. There's an old Nottingham word for you.

I think these were the days of block mascara, where you used to wet the block (OK, who didn't spit in it??), and apply with the little accompanying brush.

• Upvote 1

My wife used to do Avon in the 1980s when the children were still at school. She stopped doing it when she started working full time. She still buys off them. We still have Christmas decorations - ceramic cottages and Santa teapots - from years ago.

Vintageann- My mum also used the term Rimmel Rammel, rammel being a well used Nottingham word for rubbish

I remember wearing Blue Lipstick at some stage, I think that was around 1962, when we were just starting to experiment with make up. and later, drawing the imitation lashes underneath the eyes. One long line and one short one across the bottom of the eye. Also at a later stage, I think in the 1970s, sticking little Stars and glitter on the outside of the Cheek bones, and spraying Glitter in our hair. It must have been The Glam Rock time! We would all congregate back at Mams, when we came home to visit. My Three Sisters, Mam and her Five Sisters, all sticking Stars on our cheeks, and Glitter in our hair. Then off down the Grey Goose for a Dance. Happy Times.

• Upvote 3

i remember the cream perfumes my fave was the lilly of the valley woolies rimel range was the best selling make up and the most often soplifted by the young teenaged girls as well. whe i worked at bootd late 60s i worked packing the 7 and 17 range of make up you did not need to count sheep at night just close your eyes and you were still counting lippy. each box of lipstick conitained 144 lipsticksso if you needed say 84 they had to be counted and put in plastic bags. i always put 21 in each bag the most you could get in one bag was 36.and all the bottom lables had to go the one wayto make it easy for the staff in the shops to count them into there stock

Can you remember Max Factor Pan Cake which was in a solid form and you used a wet sponge to apply. One lipstick that I brought was Coty Sweet Tangerine it cost me an arm and a leg at 4/6 most of my wagers.

Good for us girls was Dusty Springfield and Mary Quant at the time makeup and hair styles second to none.

When was it that men started wearing after shave perfume and hair gel?

Stopped the 'Brylcream' on leaving school 1960,then it was 'Cossack' hair spray and a splash of 'Old Spice',coupled with a quiick polish of the old 'winkle pickers' bus into town and the world was my oyster,

I bet you won all the girls hearts

• Upvote 1

I DID MARY,........still use 'OLD SPICE'...........Can't understand but it don't work nowadays,......... :biggrin:

All us girls used Evening in Paris it was in a little blue bottle it possible had only a quarter of an ounce of perfume in it and cost 3/6

Working for Boots on leaving School these are just a sample of what I can remember.

Max Factor creme puff- outdoor Girl lucky pink lipstick

Nail white pencils- Boujois rouge rossette brun- snowfire block ( sore hands)

Yardley mini sprays fressia- violets lavender etc- Aqua Manda orange frarance

Max Factor hypnotique- primitif & electrique cats in a cellophane box- pan stik & pancake

Rimmel " Rammel " everything 1/3d- Pompador hair laquer & Estolan hair conditioner

Tweeny twink perms ( personal experience of that one ) carbolic soap YUK!

#14 Max Factor Pancake is still used by makeup artists for the theatre etc.

• 1 month later...