• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Around 1960, I used Sandalwood perfume, but then someone told me that Sandalwood was used in the treatment of syphilis!! So I gave that one up in case anyone thought .......

I remember wearing Blue Lipstick at some stage, I think that was around 1962, when we were just starting to experiment with make up. and later, drawing the imitation lashes underneath the eyes. One lo

That's right. Used in this case to let me know she disapproved what I was up to. If only she knew!

yardley flair

I love this fragrance but quite hard to come by these

days.I have got the talcum powder which I bought off the

internet. would like some of the spray perfume.

did you ever use bond st? which was marketed at the same time.

Fragrances are so evocative. There was a thread on here about smells in general but here's a list of aftershaves I've worked my way through over the years starting with the freebies I used to get when I worked at Boots.

Albany (Boots own)

Jade East (Boots own). The deodorant spray smelled worse than the sweatiness it was supposed to control.

Brut

Hi Karate

Mandate

Denim

Black Label (Yardley)

Cougar (Yardley)

Blue Blazer (Avon)

Eau Savage (Dior)

Aramis

Kuros

Paco Rabane

Cacherel

I received several of these as presents for my 21st in 1971 which was held at The Commodore.

I think I'm right in saying that men's toiletries didn't really take off until the 70s. The good ones were quite expensive and fags and beer took most of my money when I was twentysomething. The expensive ones on my list I used to buy on the ferry over to Holland when I worked there in the mid 80s.

I still like Old Spice as it reminds me of my dad at Christmas. A ladies fragrance called Occur by Avon transports me back to the early 70s.

My first wife did Avon in the mid 70s and I was always amused by their men's fragrance called Windward Passage. Bet the marketeer who thought of that didn't last long!

BEEN using Old Spice' since the 6os,back then it made me face 'tingle' and was a definate 'puller'.................they must have changed the ingrediants.............

cos it does neither now.

• Upvote 2

Wilko are selling 150ml Old Spice Original aftershave for £5 at the moment. They also have the deo stick at £1.50 and deo spray at £1.50. Best prices I've seen anywhere for a while.

• 10 months later...

Does anyone remember aqua manda perfume ?it smelled lovely.i used to buy Mary quant Starkers foundation,and in woolies you could get a spray on bleach for your hair,can't remember what it was called though.,and waltz italiana nail varnish ,there were so many colours.,I used to get a pale blue one and it stayed on for ages.

• 2 months later...

I find the ladies fragrance Giorgio Beverly Hills very pleasant. It's an odd aroma, like fly spray some people say but I find it very evocative.

• Upvote 1

I liked the aroma of Topaz Body Lotion, but not on me personally I hasten to add.

I used Tabac aftershave in 1967, although I hadn't actually started shaving at that time. I also used Cossack hairspray, for that extra bit of hold lol, until I ran out once and used some Silvikrin. I didn't think it smelled much, but a girl at school said to me...oh, that's Silvikrin, I love the smell. So I used it from then on, as you would.

Reading these posts has brought back so many memories! Tabac made guys smell wonderful!

In 1968 my favourite perfume was Faberge Tigress. Quite a knock out. Faberge also did one called Aphrodisia. That was nice but not as good at Tigress. I had a look on eBay and you can still get it.

When I worked in Farmers shop in Nottingham they had a Rimmel stand in the haberdashery department and I was often given the job of restocking it, a pleasant job and much better than stocktaking all the buttons!

Avon produce some lovely perfumes. Rapture was very nice. I still have the Moonwind "Treasure Turtle" bottle as an ornament and also a teddy bottle but the label has come off the base. I took the cap off and it still smells nice.

• Upvote 1

When I worked in Farmers shop in Nottingham they had a Rimmel stand in the haberdashery department and I was often given the job of restocking it, a pleasant job and much better than stocktaking all the buttons!

This one, top of Exchange Walk ?

farmer.jpg

• Upvote 2

#12. Wow! carnie the Goth wearing blue lipstick. Sounds more like a Hippo Girl or Melissa clubbing visage. Wear it the next meet-up, carnie, I dare you. I double-dare you.

• Upvote 1

Around 1960, I used Sandalwood perfume, but then someone told me that Sandalwood was used in the treatment of syphilis!! So I gave that one up in case anyone thought .......

• Upvote 5