Bottom end of Woodborough Road

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looking from Victoria Station. The bottom end of Woodborough Road is where the houses are, with Huntingdon Street on the right, and the Gas building (three chimneys).

No matter how you dress it up..my Mother refusing to cut my wavy hair  don't warrant a week of penance on my knees! Twisted..that's what they were! A bad piano is a bad piano..no matter

Nah! Grew to dislike those frustrated nuns...and learnt that they were as about as far from God as  Hitler with a can of zyklon B in his hand! Wicked and cruel place ...and they knew my Parents h

den, I was there c. 67/68, can't remember the floor, but I don't think it was as high as 6. We were only there less than a year, I'm thinking, then moved on to a new office block on the corner of Canal St and Cliff Rd. In the 3 yrs I worked there, we were in 3 different locations. Alan Parr, who started Parr Computer Services, used to work in the computer room at Players before starting his own business. We did the data processing for firms too small to have their own computers.

Me Mother used to push me in me push chair up the hill to number 264 after she had done her shopping on Mansfield Road. Can't remember without looking at a map whether 264 Woodborough was above St Augustines or just below. - Just below I think.

Ian my trek to Gussies was downhill past all the shops near Sycamore Road.

The later cycling uphill was due to me attending scholastic oddity The Beckett School

• Like 1

Road/street names ending in "Wong" are a bit older than you'd think (there are some "wongs" in other places in Notts). As an etymological dictionary says....

Etymology of wong

Middle English, from Old English wong, wang; akin to Old High German -wang field, Old Norse vangr garden, field, Gothic
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Rob.L said:

Road/street names ending in "Wong" are a bit older than you'd think (there are some "wongs" in other places in Notts). As an etymological dictionary says....

Etymology of wong

Middle English, from Old English wong, wang; akin to Old High German -wang field, Old Norse vangr garden, field, Gothic

Amongst other things “Wong” is a long narrow strip of land. Probably Anglo Saxon. There is a Willow Wong in Burton Joyce.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes. Probably said before, my parents rented rooms at the top of Goldswong Terrace after they had married, before my time on this planet. It would have been 1953/54, so long before these pictures. I doubt that it had altered much. I shall be going into town on Thursday so I might have a looksee what it is like now armed with camera!

• Like 1
On 23/01/2018 at 11:06 PM, IAN123. said:

Woodborough Road in itself holds less favourable memories, miserable Jock who owned the shop at the junction with 'hunto' and his " one kid in the shop at a time " policy.

Sometimes forgoing the trip on the 31 or 50 and buying parma violets from the tuffy shop on Plowright St.

At the bottom of Woodborough Rd. Between Mansfield Rd and Huntington St. Was a garage at the bus stop. I called on a schoolmate most mornings, he lived on a weird cul de sac just off Wellington St/Shelton St.....Ridding Terrace.., ( still there?)... The trek up the hill to St.Augustine's was a formidable one...Siddah experienced such scholastic oddities also.

Just across the road from St Augustine’s church same side was a hair salon called Aurdre’s I worked there in the early 60s   

• Like 1

My parents, rear of 264 Woodborough Road, 1955, 1 year before my arrival on the planet. I remember the dining chairs well, I sold them about 30 years ago!

kf4bic.jpg

• Like 1

My Mother (left) and her eldest sister. 264 Woodborough Road 1955. The table went with the chairs in the above picture. I also remember the teapot quite well!

t6sefc.jpg

• Like 3