Bottom end of Woodborough Road

I've "borrowed" this from the RCTS site. They use in connection with Victoria Station, but I noticed it because it shows the junction of Woodborough Road/Huntingdon Street, which has changed in a big way. I don't think any of these buildings still exist.

The large building in the centre is at the bottom of Woodborough Road, with Huntingdon Street going down to the right. The road in the foreground with the cars is York Street; the tunnel entrance is the north end of Victoria Station, and most of this hole in the ground is now Vic Centre car park.

Djp4IvZ.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looking from Victoria Station. The bottom end of Woodborough Road is where the houses are, with Huntingdon Street on the right, and the Gas building (three chimneys).

No matter how you dress it up..my Mother refusing to cut my wavy hair  don't warrant a week of penance on my knees! Twisted..that's what they were! A bad piano is a bad piano..no matter

Nah! Grew to dislike those frustrated nuns...and learnt that they were as about as far from God as  Hitler with a can of zyklon B in his hand! Wicked and cruel place ...and they knew my Parents h

May be wrong but didn't that used to be the Gas Board building ?

Strangely enough I'm camped next door to an expat Nottingham couple who also worked at the gas board ! been doing some reminiscing during happy hour. Not shown him the photo though. They used to live in Keyworth.

They've been in oz for 30 years but like me return fairly regularly, they're actually back in 4 weeks time after a European river cruise in France.

Small world isn't it.

It was the gas board building, and opposite Huntingdon Sec School where I was "educated" for four years before leaving for work.

One of my late Grans lived just a few doors up Woodborough Road from the gas board building.

The large building was East Midlands Gas Board, fitters division, I clocked in there every week day for over 6 years starting in January 62. The lower roof line to the right was the van park and loading bays and the house beyond that was originally the superintendent's home later converted to class rooms.

The terrace houses that run up Woodborough above that building but on the same side were also owned by the Board at one time and housed the overnight/weekend emergency fitters.

Terrific picture. I remember this very well cycling up Woodborough Road through the late 50s and into the 60s.

Gas Board building looks bigger than I recall. Hunto School is also quite imposing.

Caught many a train from Victoria Station and went through that tunnel.........

Memories!

Not really ! The large building is at this red arrow. So Shelton Street is the next one behind, parallel to Huntingdon St. The photographer was at the junction of York Street and Union Road.

ZcAccSi.jpg

• Upvote 1

Shelton Street was, I think, the first street on the right walking up Woodborough Road. Hunto schools wood working classroom was part of Shelton St School.

I am led to believe that the current Shelton Street is not quite in the same place as it is in Cliff Tons map and it now finishes opposite Lamartine Street

The maps the only way I know the area Pianoman, I left Nottingham in 1975.. From 1973 onward until I left Nottingham, I didn't have time to go "exploring" all the old parts pre demolition as I was working long hours and mostly seven days a week.

Hi as some of you know I pop in every so offen and then disappear for a few months,can I add another little topic to this,I too used to clock in at the EMGB at 7.45am most mornings since 1959 (you were allowed 2:59sec after 7.45am) then docked 15mins,we had a little strike for half a day(the only one we had ) and one result was no longer having to clock in.

Now my main point who remembers that the Motor Cycle lic testing was carried out around ,HuntingdonSt ,Woodboro Rd,Shelton and Wellington St always remember the examiner steping out into the road for emergency stops,I gether one picked the wrong bike and got hit not sure if its an urban myth or true but thats the way the story goes.... hellothere

• Upvote 1
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Must admit Cliff the place looks so much better in the bottom picture, the design of the houses from the outside look more pleasing on the eye than the newer (modern) design. Also in the bottom picture are the Victoria flats beginning to take shape?

I don't think I've ever seen this end of Cranmer St. For a short time, the company I worked for, Parr Computer Services, were situated inside a big old 3 storey house on this street, until they moved into the office block over the Bowling Alley (Barkergate House?). Getting to this  Cranmer St place I'm pretty sure I caught the 41 trolleybus from Cinderhill and got off at the top of Mansfield Rd and walked through a tree-lined avenue? I remember looking out the back windows of the house and seeing the playground of a nursery.

1 hour ago, nnsc said:

Must admit Cliff the place looks so much better in the bottom picture, the design of the houses from the outside look more pleasing on the eye than the newer (modern) design. Also in the bottom picture are the Victoria flats beginning to take shape?

The housing in the older photo definitely looks better.  And according to the date on PTP, the newer photo is 1974 which fits with Vic Centre flats being built.