Bottom end of Woodborough Road

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looking from Victoria Station. The bottom end of Woodborough Road is where the houses are, with Huntingdon Street on the right, and the Gas building (three chimneys).

No matter how you dress it up..my Mother refusing to cut my wavy hair  don't warrant a week of penance on my knees! Twisted..that's what they were! A bad piano is a bad piano..no matter

Nah! Grew to dislike those frustrated nuns...and learnt that they were as about as far from God as  Hitler with a can of zyklon B in his hand! Wicked and cruel place ...and they knew my Parents h

• 2 months later...

The Gas board building caught fire in the mid 60s the fire went up the lift shaft, the fire brigade had a job putting the fire out but did manage to save the building,however the cellars near the toilets at the rear of the yard were upto 4 feet in water and the stock of stoves,hot water units,and space heaters which were kept there had to be rescued.........

I must have walked past this building countless times from being a child holding mams hand, walking from Huntingdon St bus station going to Vicarage St to visit my Grandparents and relations living around the area. After leaving school I did the same journey most mornings myself whilst working at Raywarp on Alfred St North. I have closed my eyes and tried to imagine the building, one so large, but can't for the life of me remember it. This  makes me feel sad because, it makes me wonder how many more places and people have slipped from my mind. I do enjoy the pictures and it does take me back to the Nottm of my time there. I would love to go back in time, just for one day only, and see the places and people from a long time gone. One day in the future, people may be able to do that, in some way ..............ooooer........How many would want to come back?:)

• Like 4

That would be Chalky great bloke worked down Triumph road mains & service depot, in a mini van he would be first call to a problem instead of sending a gang out in the middle of the night.

A lot of 'on call' fitters lived on Woodborough road in that Victorian terrace just above the main building.

Ian when you described the building you forgot 'oily'

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Fascinating photo, bringing back great memories - 31, Woodborough Road was my grandfather's shop - Oscar Shrive. He was a grocer who also sold bacon, cheeses and teas. He also sold corn and I used to love going to the shop from where we lived in Beeston Rylands to feed the corn to the pigeons! 
If you look at the map, the "bulge" at the front of the premises is where the garden used to be, and one of the few buildings that retained its metal railings (most were taken to be melted down for the war effort). I stood on those railings when Nottingham Forest passed by on a single decker bus with the FA Cup in 1959.
On Saturday or Sunday afternoons, we used to walk up the hill to the Arboretum, enjoying the park and free roaming peacocks :D

• Like 3
On 3/24/2019 at 9:07 PM, Cliff Ton said:

Looking from Victoria Station. The bottom end of Woodborough Road is where the houses are, with Huntingdon Street on the right, and the Gas building (three chimneys).

Cliff Ton

Great atmospheric photo

That wall on the right looks like a feat of engineering, just wonder how many bricks went into that?

On 11/5/2019 at 6:03 PM, Radio Pete said:

On Saturday or Sunday afternoons, we used to walk up the hill to the Arboretum

Back in the 60's we often caught the Blue Bus B8 from our village and got off at the Mapperley Rd, walked along Forest Rd then down Addison Street into the Arboretum.

Thought it was huge back in the day but looking now on Google earth it is really not that big, loved a Walls ice cream at the kiosk.

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2018 at 7:57 AM, carni said:

Vicarage St to visit my Grandparents

That's a coincidence Carni, my grandparents lived on vicaridge st before grandad won the cafe on st Ann's Well rd,at a game of cards. Would be about 1950 - 52. 

2 hours ago, Waddo said:

Would be about 1950 - 52. 

Waddo, I was born Carlton in 1948, but we lived with my Grandparents at 51 Vicarage St for a while until we moved to Hardys Drive Gedling, not sure what year? We would visit them often over the years. I remember a few neighbours names, no53, Sammy Heap, no55, The name Wood(I think)49, H Meadwell, no47, Ward.

Would your name be Ward, because of your name Waddo?

No51 was three houses up from the Mechanics Arms, near the alley leading to the backs of the houses.

If you look on the streets list on the St Annswell Rd site you can see all the residents names and numbers listed there. Very interesting, brings back many happy memories. 

Hi again Carni, my name is in my profile i am trying to find that list that you mentioned, but struggling (only got my kindle here) but will keep looking.

Waddo, No guarantees this will work. Try typing in .... ST ANNSWELL ROAD PRE DEMOLITION 1970 and if it works click on Streets in the menu. Vicarage st will be towards the end of the alphabetical list of streets. Good Luck. 

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone one I lived in 23 woodborough road above the barbers and there was onions the newsagent across the road ..I seem to remember a big fire at the gasworks across the  road if I'm not mistaken ..think this was probably 76 maybe not to sure tho 

• 8 months later...

Hi Radio Pete. 
my name is Martin Winfield. My Nan was Daisy Revitt née Shrive (Oscars sister). We used to visit Uncle Oscar at his shop. I caught the 31 and later 50 bus and saw him doing the Ronnie Barker outside his shop. He was robbed and bashed once too many times and gave up the shop. My mum told me that he was a great dance champ! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 10:15 AM, Winnie6664 said:

Hi Radio Pete. 
my name is Martin Winfield. My Nan was Daisy Revitt née Shrive (Oscars sister). We used to visit Uncle Oscar at his shop. I caught the 31 and later 50 bus and saw him doing the Ronnie Barker outside his shop. He was robbed and bashed once too many times and gave up the shop. My mum told me that he was a great dance champ! 

Hi Martin!
I just chanced across your message, and what a surprise... First, thanks for posting this reply, and second, thanks for reminding me of some great memories as a kid. For your information, I am Sylvia's eldest (she had 7 altogether), and great aunt Lily was my most favourite of all! I still have vivid memories of her smiling down at me with her cheeky little grin, her green hat and black leather gloves. I guess you must have also known Gordon and Marjorie... Funny, did your nan have a car? I can remember somebody called Daisy driving us back home to Beeston Rylands.
As for my memories, I could write a book on the shop, the house, the outside bog, the cellar and feeding the pigeons!
Contrary to an earlier post, my memories of "grandpa" (uncle Oscar) are all filled with fun, and his generosity; we never left without a tea paper cone of Sports Mixtures, and I still love them to this day (esp the black ones). He was always good for a laugh, with a click every now and again of his false teeth!
Violet ("grandma" and Oscar's wife), was a lovely lady, although she sadly died when I was very young; I think she was the first death I experienced and it was quite strange. I used to see her sitting on the end of my bed when I was around 5 or 6, she always had a very kind face, I recall.
You may also know that of course my mum (Sylvia) wasn't Oscar and Violet's child, but Marion's; it was frowned upon to be born out of wedlock in those days - I discovered recently that her birth certificate name was Sylvia (Murry) Shrive - she called herself Mary. I was sad after Violet died that we weren't told the truth until after Marion died some decades later.
Oscar used to "disappear" on Saturday afternoons; we were told he had an allotment somewhere, but there were always a few sniggers when he left, and I guess he may have been either practicing dancing, or down the pub for a couple!
It broke my heart the last time he was bashed up and tied up with wire; we went to see him a few times after he moved (somewhere near Balloon Wood, I seem to remember), but he had lost a lot of weight, and his memory was going. A truly lovely gentleman, and one of my favourites from childhood (wow, I could tell you so many stories).
Anyway, sorry for the ramble, if you would like to get in touch directly, please do - radiopete@gmail.com - especially if you have any photos, I have not even one, just a few long distant pics that I enlarged from the Victoria Station photos.
All the very best to you, stay safe.
Peter

• Like 2