• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bilbra' at a birthday party yesterday at Burton Joyce I was invited to visit exColwick Driver Reg Slade, a neighbour across the road. Aged 95 but still very much 'with it' with very good memory recall

http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/bootneck5/library/I'm not sure of the date of this photo as 1947 & 1952 were bad years! but it does show the Carrington St. goods yard where my father spent his e

I thought that old photo of the 1860s looked familiar, and I overcame my afore-mentioned laziness enough to track it down in the small book: 'The Development of Nottingham's Railways' by J. P. Wilson:

Colliery sidings were laid out so that wagons could gravitate from the "empty" sidings, under the coal preparation plant and screens, into the "full" sidings.

Does anyone remember the little cafe at Carrington st.goods depot, van drivers and van-lads used it before setting off around the city to deliver parcels from Station st,...i recall having Tomatoes on toast and a cuppa for about 1/6,.........1960.

As long as it wasn't a breadstick. We used them for all sorts of things including lifting drophead buckeye couplings. Albert, I was referring to the sidings road numbers. There were other trips from the Leen Valley as well as coal, including stuff from Metal Box. I never worked in any of the three Nottingham Yards, but as I said, we had some of the shunters at Nottingham Carriage sidings and they used to tell us about it all, even to the point of boring us sh-tless.

In my time at Nottingham, we indeed did have trip numbers from the holding sidings. They were seldom referred to by number. As by then most of the engines departed to pick up block coal trains or commonly known as 'Merry-go-round trains'. A driver would come in the early houses and ask for an engine for the 'Cot-Rat' or Cotgrave Ratcliffe, or maybe the 'Huck-Rat' (Hucknal Ratcliffe). A regular from Linby colliery was a container train of coal bound for Ellesmere Port. It was known as the 'E-Port'. There was another regular for Wolverhampton called 'The Three Shires'. The only trips asked for by number were the Colwick Estates 'Jocko', or the Beeston, MacIntyres and Clifton Top Jocko. A Jocko being an 08 shunt engine.

By the time I joined the railway at Nottingham in 1978, Nottingham Yard was virtually finished. Most freight traffic operating through Toton West Bank. We were still very busy at that time in the carriage Sidings, with five morning London trains and two to Glasgow as well as regular excursions in the summer.

• Upvote 1

Bilbra' at a birthday party yesterday at Burton Joyce I was invited to visit exColwick Driver Reg Slade, a neighbour across the road. Aged 95 but still very much 'with it' with very good memory recall, one of the item he fetched out was several hardback exersize books from when he started at Colwick Loco in 1936 as a Cleaner, passed for firing in 1937 he's listed every turn of duty he did up to his retirement at Nottingham loco in 1980. only single line entries, time on/time off, weekly wage etc. but what a record and he could remember lots of them. Another book he produced was "The History of Colwick Yard", I'd just got him talking of it when I was recalled to the party for the 'birthday toast' much to my regret, and his! Oh Yes, 44 years service didn't qualify him for a long service Gold Watch!

• Upvote 6

Albert. When my mum died in 2003, My dad gave me a lot of family history items that my mum had saved. One of them was my granddads railway diaries from the 1920s. It listed all his turns of duty as a fireman at Nottingham Loco (16A). What happened to all the other diaries I have no idea. The one I have however is very interesting. Sad about that Gold Watch. I have my granddads which was issued in 1963.

Nothing to do with Carrington St but I just wanted to 'share' a lovely, sunny Sunday afternoon with you. 30 or so friends, jugs of home brew "Pimms", beer, wine a cream tea AND a 16mm. gauge STEAM railway to play with. Thank you Andrew,Simon & Co.

P7270077270714_171409_25_zps28b67ea9.jpg

Mine too .

The buildings on the backdrop are based on Porthmadog, but the originals were the other way round. The Custom House is still there but the foundry has gone.