I've just read this report from The Nottingham Post and my first thoughts were that the prisoners don't have to be there. They are there because they have taken someone's life or caused people a lot of grief and misery through their actions. When you read about prisons being like holiday camps, it's good to read something like this. When you read about thugs attacking old ladies for their purse you want them to suffer inside a prison.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Riot-fears-cuts-bite-city-prison/story-21454691-detail/story.html

• Upvote 1

Went there once to interview for the position of maintenance electrician. Didn't like what I saw and when they asked me if I would be willing to transfer to Dartmoor if they asked I said no thanks. Glad to hear the gate shut nehind me. (That was back in the 60s. Don't know what it would be like today.)

Great news the cons are suffering, but they still get better treatment than poor pensioners , can't visit the gym ,library or eat fruit my heart bleeds.So sorry for the wardens who have to cope with staff cuts .

Well I feel really sorry for the inmates, Yeah right ! they deserve what they get, they are in there for a reason, the tougher the better as far as I'm concerned, might make them realise next time they think of beating an old lady up or whatever it is they have done.

Far too many "do gooders" out there who think they can save their souls with kindness.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

When the lock up prisons are full don't forget weve still got the open prisons you know the ones 'walk in walk out come back when you like system. come on Cameron do us a favour.

describe the thief

Officer-What colour hair?

Man-pink one side green the other

Officer-any other thing?

Man-yes he had a tattoo of an anchor on each cheek

Officer- what about his face?

Man-unshaven

Officer-how tall was he?

Man- I couldn't tell he had one leg longer than the other

Officer-if you see this man again would you recognise him? :No1:

According to BBC Look East there appears to be similar problems at Norwich Jail, no doubt it's the same around the country except they haven't all admitted it yet. It's all very well banging on about 'these scum get what they deserve', but we don't live in the 19th century anymore, locking them all up with nothing isn't going to achieve any results at all apart from resentment. I'm no 'do-gooder' but clearly there's a serious problem with society that's filling up our jails to capacity, where we go from here, I really don't know what to suggest, I think it's frightening.

describe the thief

Officer-What colour hair?

Man-pink one side green the other

Officer-any other thing?

Man-yes he had a tattoo of an anchor on each cheek

Officer- what about his face?

Man-unshaven

Officer-how tall was he?

Man- I couldn't tell he had one leg longer than the other

Officer-if you see this man again would you recognise him? :No1:

Ever been through a police identity 'parade'. They don't do that anymore, you look at a series of facial photographs on a computer screen, they all look the same, no inkling of height, build, mannerisms, nothing, it's pathetic. When I had the crap beaten out of me by a local thug just for walking my dog, the pigs knew who this scumbag was but I had to endure this charade. I managed to isolate it down to 3 people but that wasn't good enough, they didn't press charges due to 'lack of evidence', bastards. I now have to walk my dogs knowing that this thug is out to finish me off and the pigs know exactly who it is, I shall never help the police out on any matter whatsoever ever again.

Our boy is the manager of a charity shop in Chelmsford, one day a local homeless bloke kicked in the door, he was arrested and our George had to go through the same computerized identity crap. As he had seen the bloke lurking many times and had even given him money to buy himself a sandwich, he was able to recognise the image. Can you believe this, the police in the capital and largest city in Essex told him he was the first person ever to make a positive identity on the system, clearly it's tailored to produce the least number of arrests necessary in order not to further overcrowd the prisons, what crap.

• Upvote 1

They need Sheriff Joe from Phoenix in there, according to him, prisoners have no rights whatsoever. Shouldn't be there in the first place.

meant it as a joke Firbeck but apologies for my ignorence. never been to an identity parade.

I apologise.Karlton.

Re #12 Firbeck, I've said this a few times, and I believe it's the only answer to police non activity. Vigilantes .

Four like minded men, £100 quid each, 4 baseball bats, job done.

Result..... One crippled ex thug.

• Upvote 2

There are many who need locking up for life, but there are others who had a bad start. It's easy to say so what, but there are many success stories. Look at how our MPs set the example. Theivin bar stewards. And they get rewarded.

• 3 years later...

Crikey ....... The chief inspector of prisons says Nottingham Prison is dangerous & unsafe? https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/jan/18/hmp-nottingham-action-demanded-to-prevent-more-deaths?CMP=twt_gu It probably has something to do with the fact it's a building full of violent & aggressive criminals :crazy:

I once applied for a job there as a maintenance electrician.   Bunch of warders and the governor interviewed me.  Things went well until one of them said if we hire you, you could be posted to anywhere in the system like Dartmoor.  I answered that having just bought a house in Nottingham I didn't want that.  

Needless to say I didn't get the job.  Looking back I'm glad.  While on shift you are just as much a prisoner as the inmates.  They'd have probably kicked the stuffing out of me anyway.