Not the army regiment with the nickname 'The Buffs" rather members of the Royal Antediluvium Order of Buffaloes.

My father, a Nottingham born and bred man, and you'd know it if you had heard him speak, died a couple of years ago aged 92. I inherited all his paperwork, photos etc which pleased me as for many years I have been trying to trace our family tree.

Among his war medals I found two medals of membership of the RAOB. One, is inscribed on the rear

"BRO.

JIM G. WHITTAKER

RAISED

BELVOIR LODGE

3809"

At the top of the blue medal-ribbon, itself marked with "RAOB GLE" (Grand Lodge of England) there is a clasp with buffalo horns and the word "Primo", which I think is a rank.

I have no idea who Jim G. Whittaker is or where dad picked up the medal, could have been anywhere. If anybody has an idea or if the Belvoir Lodge 3809 still exists please let me know.

The other medal was dad's. Same description, but inscribed "

BRO.

DONALD BINGHAM

RAISED

DUKE OF PORTLAND

LODGE 1222

Can anybody help me with this? Where was the lodge? Does it still exist? At the time, 1949, I was one year old and we lived down the right hand side of The Plough Inn on St. Peters Street, Radford. The houses were demolished in 1958. Perhaps the RAOB lodge meetings were held at The Plough, I don't know.

Any help would be most gratefully received.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I got the wheel chair and went round to the owd fellas house to take him out in the fresh air,got him wrapped up nice and warm and covered him with a blanket to make sure he didn't get a chill,he

The picture has special significance for my family because of what happened back in the early fifties. My father was a regular when war broke out and was a Dunkirk veteran then went on to serve in N

Time to resurrect another old thread, The old fella with the broken leg who I'm looking after at the moment is stuck in the house and can only hobble about with this zimmer frame the hospital loa

Hi Bing,

Contact any RAOB lodge they will be happy to help,lodges usually held in pub rooms (upstairs)

hope this will help you

Rog

My father was a buff when we lived in Radford late forties and early fifties he attended a lodge at a pub called the Moulders Arms in Radford. I think as Rog says it will be a case of contacting the RAOB as they don't appear to have a dedicated website, a bit difficult for you if it's Derrick, living so far away!

Sorry there is a website! maybe you can contact them through that.

my late brother was a member of the maperley buffs lodge and i seem to remember that was porchester lodge.

my dad was a oniary member of the railway lodge held above jackie bells pub the railway hotel so as was said in earlier post lodges often named after the local pub the meettings were held in as den sez i am sure the shop will help you if it can.

my dad was a oniary member as he was never in the forces but as a miner was in a reserved occupationso could not become a full member of the buffs

My late brother was a Buff, a member of the Mapperley branch for many years, last time I came over (3 years ago) I always visit the place as some of my old mates, and my brothers, still go there on a weekend evening and there is a plaque and picture of my brother as he was quite involved in raising money for cancer research and the city hospital hospice.

I noted it was now called the Querneby Club, but the RAOB did still have connections there, not sure now though.

When I walk in I still expect my brother to be sitting there in his usual spot and it still hits me that he is no longer with us.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for everybody's help. I love the photo and I vaguely recollect dad having a sash like theirs, but it didn't survive. Also an ornate certificate? I'll have to contact the RAOB by their website as I live in Thailand. Mind you, we have the real buffaloes here, and the phrase "wait 'til the cows come home" has meaning as you still see the herder driving them home in the evening, usually across busy roads depending where the lush grass is growing.

Thanks again.

The picture has special significance for my family because of what happened back in the early fifties.

My father was a regular when war broke out and was a Dunkirk veteran then went on to serve in North Africa and Italy where he was wounded and captured, he spent the rest of the war in a German POW camp. We thought he had recovered from those terrible years until the very early fifties when he became ill and could not work.Not only did the Buffalo's pay for him to go to convalesce in Weston Super Mare but they also looked after the family while he was away. Such was the comradeship shared by those wonderful people.

• Upvote 6
  • 1 month later...

I emailed the Nottingham Records Office and had a reply almost by return of post. They have some records but not the lodges I wanted. I wonder who kept the records when a lodge closed?

I have emailed the RAOB themselves, but have had no reply.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My late Dad was a Buff & Mam & he went to the buffs hotel in Weston-Super-Mare. He wanted me to join, but when he told me you had to swear allegiance to the god & the queen I thought "not for me thanks." I could never seem to find out what they actually did as Dad wouldn't tell me unless I joined. It made him happy so I thank them for that..

• 3 weeks later...

Not so much "working man's", more "other ranks".

That is one things I hated about the Army: 'the officers & other ranks' thing. I knew someone who turned up at my regt as an officer & it was "ayup, long time no see, hows your Mam/Dad/Sister? etc" & shaking hands. I was taken to one side by the sergeant-major & told I must never talk to him as a friend again. It was to be, yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir. Saw my friend in a German pub & had a good yabber & good laugh. (we we're both off duty & in civvies) Some how they found & I was marched in front of the CO & reprimanded, if it happened again I'd be on a charge. I so hate class distinction..

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Time to resurrect another old thread,

The old fella with the broken leg who I'm looking after at the moment is stuck in the house and can only hobble about with this zimmer frame the hospital loaned him,no fresh air so to speak, reading through the local villages magazine last night I see an advert from the RAOB informing the readers that they have a wheelchair they could lend out for short periods for the infirmed,(small donation would be appreciated) so I am going to contact them this morning with a view to borrowing this chair and taking him out,just a walk to the next village down the cycle/footpath about an hours walk,we all need fresh air and a few sun rays to make us feel good, the bonus is if he starts playing up I can always leave him in the next village and come home without him slywinkNot really but I might tell him that

Rog

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1