How to give the H&S man a turn!

Chopping straw to make a water filter using a paper guillotine minus it's guard.....or.....how to give the Helath and Safety person an apoplectic fit:

IMG_0275.JPG?gl=GB

Unmarked jars containing god knows what,dry straw near electric sockets,pots and containers with no lids on them, ahhh reminds me of the good old days when you could get the job done without upsetting the powers that be, good on yer Compo

Rog

• Upvote 2

I remember being somewhere when a new fire door was fitted to our crew room. The cleaner came in and propped it open with a fire extiguisher. We had to admire his initiative!

• Upvote 1

There are some jobs where it's impossible to do without placing oneself in danger..After replacing a proximity switch at CPL's Boulby Mine, 30 feet down from pit bottom, I had to check and adjust it balancing on the steelwork, keeping my feet clear of the 30 plus tons of skip as I shouted instructions to raise it slowly, then lower it slowly....I doubt the Mines Inspector would have approved, but no other way...Just a case of keeping my wits about me at all times.

I bet there are hundreds of instances like that, especially in my trade and Instrument Technicians trades.

I wonder how H&S view radial arm saws??? Probably one of the most dangerous wood shop machines on the market.

To this day 90% plus of all work on gas mains is done live i.e. gas turned on. Like the man ^^^ said it is just a case of knowing what you are doing and keeping your wits about you.

Just remember this the next time you see the 'No Smoking' notice beside the hole in the street.

To this day 90% plus of all work on gas mains is done live i.e. gas turned on. Like the man ^^^ said it is just a case of knowing what you are doing and keeping your wits about you.

Just remember this the next time you see the 'No Smoking' notice beside the hole in the street.

They rely on the fact that natural gas is only combustible when at a concentration between 5% and 15% in air. The bigger risk from high concentrations is suffocation. Of course by the time some gas has wafted up to street level, it could well be at 10% concentration and ready to pop.

Yes providing you are below the LEL or above the UEL (this don't happen in reality) you are reasonable safe. However concentrations can and do vary considerably therefore careful monitoring and using the correct tools correctly is an imperative especially when working on ferrous pipe.