From what I gather roaches like clean places Dave, they can flatten their bodies and get through impossible gaps.

This has to be the roach capital of the US down here in the Ozarks, hot and humid summers, then in winter the buggers try and come indoors where it's warm. If I see one, it's squashed!

Funny though, chickens will chase and eat most bugs, lizards, small frogs and even mice and eat them, but roaches!! Even chickens have standards, they won't touch them. In almost 20 years of keeping chickens, the only time I've seen them eat one, is when it's covered in dust and they don't recognize it as a roach.

• Like 1
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good job you weren't in LA or San Francisco, they'd have all come outside with you .

The other day, having coffee with some friends, I said, 'so, I went and got a Biro'......My friends went, whoa back up a minute, what's a Biro? So I explained, made a sideways fist and clicked my thum

corsey't does

I'm not going to dispute anything above except to say that Cockroaches are generally brown.  All over the World they are brown... though some are close to black. They are species of 'Blattids' and 'Blattelids'. The black beetles we called 'Blackclocks' as kids, were harmless and nothing to do with 'roaches'.  They are species of Ground Beetles (Carabidae)

I don't think I ever saw a true Cockroach in Bestwood.  The first I saw was scuttling over the main drag through Aghios Nikolaos on Crete..in broad dayight.  The next lot I saw were in a local college catering Dept..during the Summer shutdown.  That was rather off-putting....

I was always told it's not a good idea to squash Cockroaches..as it simply squeezes the eggs out of them and increases the infestation. I dunno if that's true.

Way back in the 'drug crazed' 1960's.. I occasionally partook of a little Cannabis. (It was mostly a waste of time..)  The rolled up bit of cardboard off the Rizla Ciggy Paper pack..used as a sort of filter on the 'joint' was called a 'roach'   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roach_(smoking)

Don't Americans refer to anything that's worn out as 'roached'?, It was a new one on me until recently..

Multiculturlism and health nazi, seem to have gone out of vogue at present..

DJ..Leb or Sence....:(

Lived in California, Arkansas and Missouri, toured dozens of states, and been here 31 years, and never heard that one HSR.

• Like 1

DJ there two main varieties of roaches, Black and Brown. I saw plenty of the blacks in Australia, if my memory serves me right, the Browns are an American Variety, like rats and mice spread by interstate commerce in the old wooden ship days.

I wonder if even snakes eat roaches?    We had a a rattler seen near the houses here last week.   Some were out with their phones taking pictures of it.   The good ole boys were saying they needed to be out with their shotguns while they had the chance.

Ayup, there are six types of cockroaches in Australia 5 of which like you say have been introduced by commerce. The "black ones you saw in Oz are Oriental Cockroaches usually between 1" and 1 and a 1/4" long. The American Cockroach is by far the biggest of our visitors are reddish brown and can be up to 2" long

Rattlers were a common sight at the last place we lived in California, I'm pretty sure our goats attracted them, they were the Western Diamond Backs.

We are supposed to have the Eastern Diamond backs around here, but after 21 years of living here, haven't sighted one. I have seen plenty of Copper Heads, they are venomous, supposed to have the Cotton Mouths around here, again never seen one. I often see Black Snakes, they will bite if annoyed, but their bite isn't venomous.

I'm not really scared of them for myself.  I look carefully where I'm putting my feet.  More scared for the dogs as we just used to let 'em out because the yard is fenced.  I don't know what they would do.  Probably get bitten, that would break my heart.  It's made us more careful.

When we first came to live in Italy we had a flat , the front door led out to a covered balcony which in turn led to another flat. The problem with this balcony was, that it was always left open. We started to get cockroaches in the flat so every night before going to bed I would stuff paper underneath the door in the hope they wouldn't enter. Here we've had a few until recently, when I sprayed around where I'd seen them and we've not seen them since thank goodness. We still have them flying around outside though.

• 7 months later...
On 7/15/2014 at 10:28 PM, Trevor S said:

Those rubbers were also called 'Johnnies'..... :P

I can't remember using a 'johnny'(?) to erase a mistake in my exercise book?

• 1 year later...

Quiet Quitting, new one on me.

Google seems to suggest it's nothing to do with quitting but a term used when employees decide only to do what they are paid for, nothing extra.

Would that include NOT being on the phone to friends and NOT being on Social medias?

Presumably the "Quiet" is not telling anyone (your boss?)  that you are only doing what you're paid for.

But presumably that excludes announcing it to the World on Insta, Twitter etc.

• Like 1