Wrong, it was John Player who invented tobacco and his picture when he was a sailor was on the front of every pack.........................Didn't Raleigh invent the potato????? :crazy:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good job you weren't in LA or San Francisco, they'd have all come outside with you .

The other day, having coffee with some friends, I said, 'so, I went and got a Biro'......My friends went, whoa back up a minute, what's a Biro? So I explained, made a sideways fist and clicked my thum

corsey't does

It's funny how many slang words we use from our parents that aren't necessarily in common use. I say 'Chocker' meaning choc a bloc ( nautical originally) and use terms like 'thou' for thousands of an inch. Both were used by my ex RAF father.

Both of our parents used to refer to the time in that manner, and passed it down to us. So it doesn't seem to be a Regional expression! :blink:

An early example of speaking that way, is in the Rhyme, Sing a Song of Sixpence, with the line...4 and 20 Blackbirds baked in a Pie. :laugh:

And if we are referring to a house, we would say For example...... 4 Doors Down instead of 4 Houses! :unsure:

Or "next door but one"! Americans don't understand that either!

My dad always referred to a bicycle as a "push bike" - which always seemed old fashioned to me. I suppose it was to differentiate it from a motorcycle!

• Upvote 1

"Flashlight" is the normal term over here. Ask for a torch and most Americans will look at you "gone out"!

• 2 weeks later...

Tundish

Kath, I had a Biro as well, my Dad gave it to me. It was old but still worked.

I remember taking it to school and everybody wanted to see it, including the teachers.

I live in Canada and when my cousin came to stay..he got funny looks when he went into the corner store

for some fags!!!!

If I was walking with my mother and dragging my feet (which I invariably was when with her) she would call me a sluther pudding.

She really knew how to get my back up !

Re basfordred dragging his feet , whilst walking with his mum , my mum used to say " stop slormin' abaght" or sometimes "you are walkin' knock-kneed and pen-toed "