I am posting as I grew up in the Queen Adelaide pub. As a child I remember being quite unsettled living there and it was when I was about 16 the grounds were dug up to find the remains of the old lunatic asylum. I have quite a lot of recollections and interest in the subject and wondered if anyone on the forum knows anything about the asylum or the general area around the Queen Adelaide.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well firstly I like to say Hello to all, I found my way here while google’ing for old images of Windmill Lane & up came a picture of the Asylum, which brought back many happy memories (I hasten to

Morning Mrs Gorritt..........is this your Grandson young Affer ?........get your Granny one of those chairs Affer....good lad,,,                             Got your note in the letter-box this m

That photo gives my memory a shake,,,................Had several teeth knocked out in the Office.......Was attacked with a knife on the corner of St Mathias.......Stuggled with a bloke on Crutches on

Welcome to Nottstalgia caeperthi. I think you may have found a subject which hasn't been mentioned here before.

Quite a few people may not know the place you are referring to, so here's a clue. Bottom end of Carlton Road.

asylum.jpg

Dakeyne Street - which is to the south of the Asylum grounds - still exists; as do many of the other roads in the area.

• Upvote 2

Plenty of mentions in the news archives but mainly various reports of the accounts etc. or adverts for tenders for supply of goods to the asylum . This is a typical report from 1881 , showing the comings and goings of inmates and mentions the new asylum at Mapperley .

Earliest mention was in 1858 when tenders were requested for building work at the asylum .

14520093777_86ee927b34_z.jpg

14683538926_4d47a4deb5_z.jpg

• Upvote 1

According to Robert Mellors in "Sneinton then and now" (p 1913)

The asylum for the town & county was built 1810-12 with additions made in 1829.

Total cost £31,000

I was just about to add that there is mention of the Queen Adelaide pub at Sneinton , prior to the tender for building work at the asylum in 1858 . So with Bubblewraps new info , looks like there was a much older asylum in that area that had been enlarged or altered ?

This advert showing an auction at the Queen Adelaide in 1855

14704242164_5283bc1517_z.jpg

DAVID W and Cliff, thanks again for your archive resources, I was unaware of a Sneinton Asylum until now. Does the first newspaper report refer to Mapperley Hospital as the new Borough Asylum I wonder?

My first map (post #2) was 1901. This is from around the 1830s (possibly before the additions made in 1829 mentioned by bubblewrap). Not really enough detail to identify any differences, although the surrounding area has obviously changed.

asylum-1.jpg

Commo seemed to be called the Borough Asylum . Here's mention of a letter from Sept 1880

A similar letter was read from Dr. Powell, superintendent of the new Borough Asylum, Mapperley Hill, expressing his entire satisfaction at the manner which 243 patients had been removed thither. —Mr. Hatherley
01 September 1880 - Nottingham Evening Post - Nottingham, Nottinghamshire

The " i " in Sneinton seems to be a variable ! Its there in the 1830 map and not there in the later news reports ?

so it stood roughly were the king georges park stands today i never knew ther had been a lunatic asylum there. very interesting

True. Here's another which Pic the Past say is 1967. You can match these two blocks with the layout on the rear photo in #18. And on the extreme right of this picture, you can see the entrance steps which are shown on the earlier illustration.

loony3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the interest shown and the information - very interesting indeed. When we lived in the pub we knew nothing about the asylum until the grounds were dug up and the remains of part of it were found including the area where people were kept in manacles. It was quite upsetting - I was quite young at the time and it was the first time I realised what sort of things happened - funny enough I worked for a while in mental health - never forgot what what found in the grounds..

• 1 year later...

Well firstly I like to say Hello to all, I found my way here while google’ing for old images of Windmill Lane & up came a picture of the Asylum, which brought back many happy memories (I hasten to add not as an inmate) The Nottingham Asylum was, once the new Mapperley Asylum opened, allowed to be used as a boys club (Oliver Hind) & later The 2nd Boys Brigade aka “Dako” (being located on Daykyne St)

I seem to recall it being demolished in the mid 70`s, it was a fabulous place to run around free in as a kid with so many nooks & crannies, I seem to recall the Human skeleton (probably real) used in the First aid classes having the name of Algy, and being used by the older boys to frighten the younger, He was missing his feet/legs below the knees & traces of luminous paint were still present from actions in the hobby/model classes on the quiet

We were always told by the guys running the place never to venture down into the cellar area, which used to be used for the Chapel as “you might get lost in the cave system) but I was told some years later that the corridors actually led to the padded cells, not sure which was right, possibly both

We used to venture into the nearby old overgrown orchard behind the Queen Adelaide as they used to have great plum trees in there

There’s brief but good view of the area, although not the Asylum, in the film Saturday night, Sunday morning, looking down from Kind Edward Park onto Carlton Rd & the factories

• Upvote 7

Welcome OS............Interesting that you mention 'Monty Hind' and 'Daykyne st. old boys,....i recall playing football against one or the other perhaps both in the Notts youth league early 60s,when i played for Coop Pathfinders....also that area near King Edward park bottom of Carlton rd,....my Great Grandmother lived in Kemps Cottages and no one seems to remember them.

the Cottages that is,not me Greatgrandma..........lol.

also that area near King Edward park bottom of Carlton rd,....my Great Grandmother lived in Kemps Cottages and no one seems to remember them.

I don't remember them either, because I'm not that old. But if you don't know exactly where they were......

kempcot_zpshbmvhbbt.jpg

• Upvote 2

Thanks cliff ton,...............Grandma (great) was my Dads grandma..........i last visited her when i was 15 in 1960......think they were demolished shortly after.

edit.......crickey just thought she was born about 1870...........and i knew her...........

• Upvote 1