I love the exclamation mark after the "Lamp" ..............wasted on those who do not know what kind of establishment this was back then................to give you some idea, think of those old cowboy films when a stranger walks in, the pianist stop playing, the saloon goes quiet & a tumbleweed blows by ...................oh yeah & the Sherriff never ventured inside

thumbsup

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well firstly I like to say Hello to all, I found my way here while google’ing for old images of Windmill Lane & up came a picture of the Asylum, which brought back many happy memories (I hasten to

Morning Mrs Gorritt..........is this your Grandson young Affer ?........get your Granny one of those chairs Affer....good lad,,,                             Got your note in the letter-box this m

That photo gives my memory a shake,,,................Had several teeth knocked out in the Office.......Was attacked with a knife on the corner of St Mathias.......Stuggled with a bloke on Crutches on

• 4 years later...

Went for a wonder with Letsavagoo's brilliant map on the football, bobbers mill thread.

Rather then interupting, better to post here, noticed there's an additional 'fever hospital' near the Asylum, new one on me, what year was the map?

Not surprised this has no responses, I was being a lazy so & so, went back with a magnifying glass, the maps 1899, published 1901.

I have been looking for a definitive guesstimate on the closing of the Asylum for awhile.

The 'fever hospital' is also very intriguing.

13 hours ago, HSR said:

I have been looking for a definitive guesstimate on the closing of the Asylum for awhile.

According to information on the University of Nottm website, Sneinton Asylum closed in 1902 when it was replaced by the opening of Saxondale Hospital.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Cliffton, yes that was my best summation, I'll go with that.

I think i do recall reading (5 years ago..a long time nowdays) of transfer's to Ransom Road which was no longer fee-paying, and also references up to the early twenties.

• 5 weeks later...
6 hours ago, HSR said:

Had a Great Uncle who after doing over forty year's corporation heavy work was a Caretaker at the Oliver Hind boy's club, early 1950's.

I don't know if it's the same location, but the name Oliver Hind Boys Club still exists, on Edale Road, Sneinton.   https://goo.gl/maps/FJUW6c7kY8PW9NVE8

And there was/is also a Monty Hind Boys club. Monty's real name was Jesse Francis Montague Hind, and according to this link he was a nephew of Oliver. https://secure.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/RollOfHonour/People/Details/22191 

• Like 1

Hi All, Some interesting reading on this topic from you all. As I understand it..living only yards from its location for first part of my life, Sneinton Asylum on Carlton Road( now King Edward Park)  was the main county Asylum when it was built. What is fairly shocking is ..how big it was. There must have been a lot of pretty sick people in Notts in those days.Though to be honest, women only had to be pregnant and unmarried to get sent there and men probably only have a drink problem. So in modern terms that's most of us after a regular friday night out  in Nottm LOL.

In the 1970's there was a boys club on Dakeyn St which I thought was Oliver Hind's - though I didnt go there.

Sneinton Pubs such as 'The Lamp' and King Billy ( King William iv), Earl Howe, Bath Inn, Madhouse, Duke of..well whatever, and many others were well known to my Mum and her merry band of friends who hoiked around them one after the other most friday nights frequently arriving home somewhat wobbly. All sneinton pubs had cliques and everyone looked at anyone who came in the door. My Dad was happy they left Sneinton as wasn't a social drinker particularly  but Mum has fond memories and i think missed it for a very long while.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RoseQueen said:

, Sneinton Asylum on Carlton Road( now King Edward Park)  was the main county Asylum when it was built. What is fairly shocking is ..how big it was. There must have been a lot of pretty sick people in Notts in those days.

I think it was more a case of people being sent to the asylum because no-one knew what else to do with them. In those days "mental hospitals" were used as a dumping ground for people who couldn't be treated or understood in any other way.

I remember when looking at some census returns, there would be an asylum and everyone living in there would be listed. Under 'occupation' it said lunatic.  Not very P.C.

Loppy, I'd like to point out that South Australia is the superior state of our Commonwealth it alone being free settled.

I agree that the mindset of people within government at all levels is different to that of the populace, particularly when it comes to forms, either on paper or on-line. They are often illogical or if on-line don't work properly.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2020 at 7:31 PM, katyjay said:

I remember when looking at some census returns, there would be an asylum and everyone living in there would be listed. Under 'occupation' it said lunatic.  Not very P.C.

When seeing that category on the 1911 census, I wondered what is the difference between a lunatic & an imbecile!

I find the 1911 census fascinating as it was written in our ancestors own hand.

Horrible line through by some officiouis so & so, I understood what they were saying, children born, & still alive, he had taken second wife.. a second wife, clever clogs enumerator!

Only had one chap that appeared in that tick box, his dad listed him deaf & dum, lived with his mum after father's death, worked on the railway as a porter...and went on to marry their lodger in the mid thirties.

Cretinism is caused by lack of the thyroid hormone induced by iodine deficiency.  This can be prevented/corrected where necessary by giving some form of iodine  to the pregnant mother and the condition being recognised very early in the newborn baby.

• Like 1

There must be an awful lot of cretins about then, including me! Every other person I speak to lately has a failing thyroid and is on replacement thyroxine.  I'd love to know why. Is it environmental? No one seems to know.

I can say one thing. For some time before it was diagnosed, I was convinced I had dementia. My brain just wouldn't work. Very frightening indeed.

I seem to remember that there were several Derbyshire villages (in the Peaks, I think) known for Derbyshire neck which was a manifesation of cretinism and shown with goitres as well as low intellect. All due to iodine deficiency.

I also remember that you could buy iodised salt for household use to help prevent iodine deficiencies. Cerebos was one brand.

Correct, Jonab. I have an ancient medical encyclopedia which lists Derbyshire Neck, together with a quaint drawing.

How much iodine deficiency is to blame for low intellect problems in places such as tiny villages and how much is down to in-breeding is a good question!

Keep taking the tablets, Beekay!!

3 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Correct, Jonab. I have an ancient medical encyclopedia which lists Derbyshire Neck, together with a quaint drawing.

How much iodine deficiency is to blame for low intellect problems in places such as tiny villages and how much is down to in-breeding is a good question!

Keep taking the tablets, Beekay!!

‘Derbyshire born and Derbyshire bred;

strong in the arm but thick in the head!’

I’m pretty sure this is no longer the case, now the iodine problem is recognised....