• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well firstly I like to say Hello to all, I found my way here while google’ing for old images of Windmill Lane & up came a picture of the Asylum, which brought back many happy memories (I hasten to

Morning Mrs Gorritt..........is this your Grandson young Affer ?........get your Granny one of those chairs Affer....good lad,,,                             Got your note in the letter-box this m

That photo gives my memory a shake,,,................Had several teeth knocked out in the Office.......Was attacked with a knife on the corner of St Mathias.......Stuggled with a bloke on Crutches on

Closed in 1912...So my relatives in Kemps cottages were alive when it was in use,,,like so many small areas of our City we have so many memories,,, in this area between Handel street and the March Hare up Carlton road about 400 yards i have many.....At about 18(1963) my mate and I used to have a pint in the Vine on Handel street grotty but friendly little local full of Sneinton characters,,,then another in the White Lion on Carlton road,,E5 on the Juke box always a must Ricky Nelson,,Travellin Man,,,then up to the March Hare to catch many a good group...Also worked within that small area,,there used to be a Marsdens in the 60s relief managed it,,,then there was the Big'ish Coop corner of STMathias road,,,got bashed about a bit in there in my Coop days......all good memories.........

• Like 1

Yes Affer,,it was on a corner going up Carlton road on the left.......i was only there a few days,,the lady Manager had fell while window dressing,,,i remember clearing the mess up including the blood...

Not sure but i think Cliff posted a photo of the shop........about 1962 when i was there,,the sign remained on the wall many years after Marsdens had departed the scene..........

Ben, I remembered about your relatives in Kemps Cottages when I was posting the asylum photo.

I also have a few memories of that area. For about a year in the late 70s I worked in a printers on Dakeyne Street, and I used to park in the empty space which I now know was the site of the asylum.  A bit later I worked for a couple of years at place on Hooton Street (further up Carlton Road) and I went in the March Hare a few times; also the Red Cow (now demolished) at the end of Windmill Lane.

I don’t think I remember any previous references to a Marsden’s in that area. The big Co-op on the end of St Mathias Road was empty and derelict for years, but has now been refurbished as an “International Supermarket’. This is their website...you'll get the idea.  https://www.falcononline.co.uk/

• Like 1

That photo gives my memory a shake,,,................Had several teeth knocked out in the Office.......Was attacked with a knife on the corner of St Mathias.......Stuggled with a bloke on Crutches on that Zebra crossing.......he almost won as well.........plus much more,,,happy days,,,,

• Like 4

Just a bit further up the road is the bus stop where we used to display our Guy Fawkes and beg for coppers from the alighting passengers. I’m sure the bus stop was outside a newsagents then, and the shop is still a newsagents. We’d then spend our money on penny bangers from another newsagent, Johnny Wells’s, which, I think, was on the opposite corner to Marsden’s.

Remember Marsdens with fondness. Queueing up with grandma, breathing in the smells. Proper shop with proper assistants. 

• Like 1

Morning Mrs Gorritt..........is this your Grandson young Affer ?........get your Granny one of those chairs Affer....good lad,,,

Got your note in the letter-box this morning,,,Ham Hock,,Ounce of Yeast,,Camp Coffee,,Sunlight Soap,,Beetop Sauce,,Duraglit,,1/4 of Gorgonzola,,and half a pound of Pork Dripping.......all ready in one of our new Brown bags with string,,, 16/10....

Here you are Affer,,carry this for your Gran,,............

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2020 at 10:16 AM, Cliff Ton said:

Ben, I remembered about your relatives in Kemps Cottages when I was posting the asylum photo.

Thanks cliff ton.......with you mentioning Kemps cottages a lady i'm related to but never met,got in touch with me,,

My Great Grandma Tacey was also the ladys Great Grandma........so what relation to me is she ? Cousin i think ?

30 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

My Great Grandma Tacey was also the ladys Great Grandma........so what relation to me is she ? Cousin i think ?

You both have the same great-grandmother ?   In that case you could be brother and sister, but I assume you know that's not the case, so I think cousins is a good alternative.

• Like 1

LOL..............Yes cliff,, worked that one out.........me Dad,, i'm sure was a one woman man,,,might be wrong,,but doubt it....;)

• Like 1

Noticed in that excellent post about St Ann's, the 'fever Hospital' cropped up again, can't see the foundation's in Cliffton's superb aerial pic (mid 20's ?).

I'm coming to the conclusion that the the 'fever hospital' was solely related to the asylum,t the workhouse also had a fever ward in 1851.

Maybe it was Coppice Hospital not sure if name is correct but it was formly Rasome Road, there was also an hospita on Thorney Wood Porchester rd and the house of Correction.