caeperthi

Sneinton Asylum

interesting to see that the word "Lunatic" appears on the something official as the old maps showing just how attached society was, in their believe madness was influenced by the moon. I always assumed it was hearsay / old wives tales etc

I love the exclamation mark after the "Lamp" ..............wasted on those who do not know what kind of establishment this was back then................to give you some idea, think of those old cowboy films when a stranger walks in, the pianist stop playing, the saloon goes quiet & a tumbleweed blows by ...................oh yeah & the Sherriff never ventured inside

thumbsup

• Upvote 1

Like walking in a Pub in Bulwell in the 60s..........lol.

Went for a wonder with Letsavagoo's brilliant map on the football, bobbers mill thread.

Rather then interupting, better to post here, noticed there's an additional 'fever hospital' near the Asylum, new one on me, what year was the map?

Not surprised this has no responses, I was being a lazy so & so, went back with a magnifying glass, the maps 1899, published 1901.

I have been looking for a definitive guesstimate on the closing of the Asylum for awhile.

The 'fever hospital' is also very intriguing.

13 hours ago, HSR said:

I have been looking for a definitive guesstimate on the closing of the Asylum for awhile.

According to information on the University of Nottm website, Sneinton Asylum closed in 1902 when it was replaced by the opening of Saxondale Hospital.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Cliffton, yes that was my best summation, I'll go with that.

I think i do recall reading (5 years ago..a long time nowdays) of transfer's to Ransom Road which was no longer fee-paying, and also references up to the early twenties.

Had a Great Uncle who after doing over forty year's corporation heavy work was a Caretaker at the Oliver Hind boy's club, early 1950's.

Found this..

http://britishhomechild.com/dakenye-farm/

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HSR said:

Had a Great Uncle who after doing over forty year's corporation heavy work was a Caretaker at the Oliver Hind boy's club, early 1950's.

I don't know if it's the same location, but the name Oliver Hind Boys Club still exists, on Edale Road, Sneinton.   https://goo.gl/maps/FJUW6c7kY8PW9NVE8

And there was/is also a Monty Hind Boys club. Monty's real name was Jesse Francis Montague Hind, and according to this link he was a nephew of Oliver. https://secure.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/RollOfHonour/People/Details/22191 

• Like 1

Hi All, Some interesting reading on this topic from you all. As I understand it..living only yards from its location for first part of my life, Sneinton Asylum on Carlton Road( now King Edward Park)  was the main county Asylum when it was built. What is fairly shocking is ..how big it was. There must have been a lot of pretty sick people in Notts in those days.Though to be honest, women only had to be pregnant and unmarried to get sent there and men probably only have a drink problem. So in modern terms that's most of us after a regular friday night out  in Nottm LOL.

In the 1970's there was a boys club on Dakeyn St which I thought was Oliver Hind's - though I didnt go there.

Sneinton Pubs such as 'The Lamp' and King Billy ( King William iv), Earl Howe, Bath Inn, Madhouse, Duke of..well whatever, and many others were well known to my Mum and her merry band of friends who hoiked around them one after the other most friday nights frequently arriving home somewhat wobbly. All sneinton pubs had cliques and everyone looked at anyone who came in the door. My Dad was happy they left Sneinton as wasn't a social drinker particularly  but Mum has fond memories and i think missed it for a very long while.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RoseQueen said:

, Sneinton Asylum on Carlton Road( now King Edward Park)  was the main county Asylum when it was built. What is fairly shocking is ..how big it was. There must have been a lot of pretty sick people in Notts in those days.

I think it was more a case of people being sent to the asylum because no-one knew what else to do with them. In those days "mental hospitals" were used as a dumping ground for people who couldn't be treated or understood in any other way.

I remember when looking at some census returns, there would be an asylum and everyone living in there would be listed. Under 'occupation' it said lunatic.  Not very P.C.

14 hours ago, katyjay said:

I remember when looking at some census returns

We are about a year away from the next census, they made a right c*ck up of it last time as it was available on-line . Governments just cannot seem to do IT, witness the Covid tracking apps both in the UK and here.

I am looking forward to my usual joust with the census official that they send round after I don't fill it in.

The conversation usually goes something like this and is a bit like Yes Minister or a Monty Python sketch. Some of the questions may not be exactly correct but you will get the gist of the conversation. CO = Census Official

CO - Mr ***** we have no record of you having filled out your census form.

Me - That is correct

CO - Do you know it is an offence not to fill out a census form and that filling out the census is compulsory?

Me - Yes

CO - Do you have access to the internet to lodge on line?

Me - Yes

CO - Would you like a paper form?

Me - No

CO - Do you need any help to fill out the census either on line or by paper?

Me - No

By this time I think he has realised that I do not want to fill out his form or lodge on line so we continue

CO - Would you mind telling me why you do not wish to fill out a census form

Me - No

At this point I usually invite them in for a tea or coffee as the next bit can take a while especially if the official is a bit slow on the uptake.

CO - Why do you not wish to fill out the census?

Me - Because the authorities already have the information you are asking for and I object to wasting taxpayers money. If you can identify one question for which you do not already have answer I will answer that question for you.

CO - But we must have the information so we can plan for society into the future

Me - You already have the information

CO - Yes sir but not the Australian Bureau of Statistics

Me - Go and ask the other Government Departments

CO - We are not allowed to do that due to privacy laws

Me - With respect that is not my problem and I give you permission to access my data from other government departments

CO - It does not work like that which is why we have to do a census

Me - Again not my problem. Would it help if we went through the questions one by one and I told you where you can get the information and you can then ask their permission and see if there are any where you do not already have the information?

CO - Resignedly Yes sir

Me - First question

CO - What is your name?

Me - You already know that  you addressed me by name when you came to the door,  question 2?

CO - Where do you live?

Me - You already know that you managed to find me,  question ?3

CO - What is your age?

Me - Ask Medicare (The Department of Health) Question 4?

CO - What were your earnings last year?

Me - Ask the Tax Office, question 5?

CO - How many motor vehicles are registered at this address?

Me - Ask the Department of Motor registry Question 6?

CO - How many people reside at this residence?

Me - Refer to the electoral roll, it is a publicly available document, Question 7?

And so it goes on until.....

CO - What religious group do you identify yourself with?, I must point out that it is not compulsory for you to answer this question.

Me - That is fine I won't answer.

CO - Sir, This is not progressing as intended, I think I will have to refer to my supervisor for further instructions/actions

Me - Feel free to do so, have a nice day and goodbye