caeperthi

Sneinton Asylum

Still available today, for a bargain £12;

V4LZP4K.png?1

Or if Your Stately home needs one a slightly more expensive one;

K3RSLfh.png?1

£398 for that !!

That's probably close to the price of the house on Grimston Road when it was first built.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

All sounds familiar....apart from Duraglit. I don't remember that and had to look it up.

Pah ! young 'uns today... don't know they're born...

I've still got a tin of Duraglit. Had it years and it can still shine up brass, copper and my wedding ring !

Me too.

My tin of Duraglit is on the garage shelf, next to the tin of Brasso and tube of Solvol Autosol chrome cleaner.

Still have our companion set. My dad bought it for our wedding present. I have not had a real fire in 20 years but will never part with it.

On 9/6/2020 at 7:14 AM, katyjay said:

companion set

A companion set was one of the first things we made in metalwork at school, did scroll work on the stand and learned how to twist the square section steel for the poker, broom and shovel shafts, turned the handles on a lathe, brazed the shafts into the handles and rivetted the shaft to the shovel. The only bit that was not hand made was the broom head. Mum and dad had it for years, don't know what happened to it when they got gas.

Even i Made a set OZ.................Must have been late 50s,,,,,,Mam still used the Poker for Ornamental purposes right up to the 90s,,,think my brothers still got it......managed to make 3 things in Metalwork......the said Companion set,,a Rod rest and nicest of all a Brass ''Caddy spoon'''........I recall Mr Spears showing and telling us ''How to Titivate it'' causing youthful Giggles.....still got it somewhere,,,always makes me smile when i see it.....remembering my 1st ''Tittivation'' session................:rolleyes:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Even i Made a set OZ

Stands back in amazement!!   bowdown

• Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 10:16 AM, Cliff Ton said:

Ben, I remembered about your relatives in Kemps Cottages when I was posting the asylum photo.

Thanks cliff ton.......with you mentioning Kemps cottages a lady i'm related to but never met,got in touch with me,,

My Great Grandma Tacey was also the ladys Great Grandma........so what relation to me is she ? Cousin i think ?

30 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

My Great Grandma Tacey was also the ladys Great Grandma........so what relation to me is she ? Cousin i think ?

You both have the same great-grandmother ?   In that case you could be brother and sister, but I assume you know that's not the case, so I think cousins is a good alternative.

• Like 1

LOL..............Yes cliff,, worked that one out.........me Dad,, i'm sure was a one woman man,,,might be wrong,,but doubt it....;)

• Like 1

It must be down to your mitochondrial DNA then, Ben! The female line...in more ways than one! :P

• Like 1

Wish i was more Edufacated'' our Jill.........but i think you may be correct.......

• Like 1

Noticed in that excellent post about St Ann's, the 'fever Hospital' cropped up again, can't see the foundation's in Cliffton's superb aerial pic (mid 20's ?).

I'm coming to the conclusion that the the 'fever hospital' was solely related to the asylum,t the workhouse also had a fever ward in 1851.

Maybe it was Coppice Hospital not sure if name is correct but it was formly Rasome Road, there was also an hospita on Thorney Wood Porchester rd and the house of Correction.