50 years ago I knew my way around no problem now If you said go to Long Eaton or Gunthorpe bridge I would be clueless on how to get there from Nuthall where I used to live.

But last time over jumped in the car & found my way everywhere I wanted to go just point me in the direction & it came back to me.

Did manage to drive down the wrong side of the road though just once

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

50 years ago last Friday I left school to start my life in the big bad world. This week was the last caravan holiday at 'Golden Sands' caravan site with the family. It was also the same week I went

50 years ago, good grief, I was 18, single, good car, money in my pocket, not a care in the world. I thought it would last for ever. Was I in for a shock.? I wouldn't change a thing other than a very

50 years ago I was twenty in the final year of my apprenticeship and looking forward to getting married on September 11th. Had thirty three good years of marriage and looked forward to retiring with

Posted Images

50 yrs ago bumped into Judy Dench' literaly, they were constucting Maid Marian way,i was running for a bus and jumped over a barrier on mm way knocking her over,...........i helped her up and told her how sorry i was, she was'nt best pleased...neither was i ,............missed me bus!

• Upvote 2

50 years ago I had just enrolled at Clarendon College to begin studies for the Institute exams but instead of taking these in the relative luxury of a fairly modern centrally heated building we had to traipse up to the freezing cold Victorian edifice of Claremont school which was used as the annexe every Monday night.

50 years ago I had just enrolled at Clarendon College to begin studies for the Institute exams but instead of taking these in the relative luxury of a fairly modern centrally heated building we had to traipse up to the freezing cold Victorian edifice of Claremont school which was used as the annexe every Monday night.

I was at Peoples College 1966-69. I remember having to do some chemistry practicals in a laboratory based in an old building behind the Albert Hall. I think it was previously part of Peoples College secondary school which I believe closed around that time.

My dad went to the old Peoples College secondary School near the Albert Hall. A few of my mates from Glenbrook went there also. They used to tell me about having to walk to the gymn which I believe was near Canal Street. The Peoples College (The college one) annex I went to was the old Bluecoat School on Mansfield Road.

• 2 months later...

#82 Pevril.

I probably wired your "new" Wimpey house in my first year as a sparky with C S Tagg. Forman was a bloke called Johnny Miles, miserable old bugger but taught me well, he was a chain smoker, the van and snap cabin was always full of Benson & Hedges smoke and nub ends.

We did all of the Wimpy sites around Nottm, Stockhill lane, Howbeck Road, Keyworth and one at Grantham.

Also used to go to night school at the Peoples colledge annexe Canal street. Gosh 50 years ago ! I do feel old now.

50 years ago had just started my Saturday job at the GEM Supercentre , West Bridgford , UKs first out of town shopping centre that had just opened .

Evening Post were supposed to be doing an article on this but not heard a thing . Can anyone have a geek in the current Bygones when in the newsagents to see if its in there ?

#82 Pevril.

I probably wired your "new" Wimpey house in my first year as a sparky with C S Tagg. Forman was a bloke called Johnny Miles, miserable old bugger but taught me well, he was a chain smoker, the van and snap cabin was always full of Benson & Hedges smoke and nub ends.

We did all of the Wimpy sites around Nottm, Stockhill lane, Howbeck Road, Keyworth and one at Grantham.

Also used to go to night school at the Peoples colledge annexe Canal street. Gosh 50 years ago ! I do feel old now.

Hi I was with the gasboard 50 years ago and got married in 1965 my best man was David Revill who I think also worked for Taggs at that time he is now in Adelaide and will be going across to see him in January(from Bunbury) ring any bells?.,

Hi Trevor (The Gasman)

I know the name, David Revill, but cannot place him in my distant memory. We are currently in Beverley WA, heading to Busselton for a couple of weeks then near Bunbury to do a 5 acre block/house sit over xmas.

Do you know a Mel Stokes from Nottm gas board ? we bump into him around the traps so to speak, think he lived in Keyworth prior to emigrating, now in Rolleystone WA.

Yes I do know Mel Stokes both in the UK and here, also John Smith from the gasboard now in Roleystone,Dave Revill moved to the EMEB after Taggs and emigrated in 1970 same as US and as my wife and I went back in 1979 for two years quite a few followed us back to WA in 1981.

Enjoy your time in Busselton we go down there and sit near the pier for a nice afternoon my phone is 0897959791 if you want to call in for cup of tea.......

Sounds good Trevor, will give you a ring when we are settled in Busselton, we'll be at the Kookaburra 3, on Marine Terrace.

We can have our own Nottstalgia meet up !

• 9 years later...
On 11/14/2014 at 12:08 AM, banjo48 said:

#82 Pevril.

I remember Jonny Miles his hands were always covered  in blood from chasing the brick walls. I started at C S Tagg December 27th 1959 Geoff Hall. Warser Gate was where the Office and stores was situated. What a life study was my apprenticeship. Plenty of good electricians turned out at C S Taggs even though he had a bad name for using a large ratio of apprentices.