rushcliffe civic building west bridgford

Hi all, now rushcliffe borough council are building new offices incorporated with rushcliffe leisure centre, goodness knows what will become of the building, so is there any photos on the forum of the civic centre when it was an hotel?

Here's a couple of photos, allegedly when it was a hotel.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM006562&prevUrl=

http://images.francisfrith.com/c10/450/33/W437008.jpg

As you cansee, it looks remarkably similar to the way it is now. Externally, there is almost no difference between the building as a hotel and the building as Rushcliffe offices.

Can anyone remember the name of the night club on the ground floor of this building (#3) circa late 60's.

The entrance was along an elevated walkway from the riverside.

Seem to remember it was frequented by NFFC players sometimes.

Smiffy

Smiffy49, I think the only club that was ever in the building was the 99 but that wasn't on ground level. The Forest, County and cricketers frequented the place.

I was told a few years back by someone who has a garage on Pavilion Road that Rushcliffe council had been buying up as many of the properties around there as they could, and that he had been told that their intention was to get rid of the traffic on Radcliffe Road, and then turn the whole area into some posh pedestrianised riverside apartment/shopping area.

The biggest obstacles to them doing anything soon being the City Ground, the boat clubs, and the housing behind the CG.

In the mid-fifties the site was a disused cinema. My brother and I used to trespass there and explore. I must have been about 6. Funny how kids were so free back then. After it was demolished the development was the subject of several bankruptcies and part of it was demolished half-built. Eventually it opened as the Bridgford Hotel but part, I think the 2nd & 3rd floors, had already been let as offices so the hotel lift by-passed those floors. The 99 was on a lower level approached by an elevated walkway from Trent Bridge end. The nightclub was run - on a franchise basis - by two Persian brothers (it wasn't called Iran back then) Kurt & Zac. Later they owned the Babel nightclub on Huntingdon Street. Kurt's girlfriend was Miss Nottingham, Elizabeth Robinson I think. One time I was round at his house, somewhere near Bramcote, and he produced a great big bag of readies. It turned out that he had to go to Babel that morning to meet the brewery rep and pay cash before the draymen would unload the truck.

The Bridgford Hotel struggled on into the late seventies or perhaps a little later. When it eventually closed I bought a quantity of furniture and fixtures for use at the Musters Hotel.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 years later...

The building which started life as the Bridgford Hotel, and later became Rushcliffe Council offices, is now being converted to expensive apartments. At the moment you can see right through it.

r1E43kk.jpg

(apologies to some people who will have seen this before).

• Like 2

Here are a few photos I took a couple of months ago when we were invited onto the roof of the building, to see the views that the new penthouses will have when the building is completely refurbished.  Duplex penthouses are being built on top of the original building.  We had to wear hard hats and hi-viz jackets :biggrin:

DF658658-21_EB-44_E0-_BAA7-3_BF231_BF3_CFF003881-_EC36-4_D0_C-990_F-011_FC5_B505103455_E5-80_DD-4_B89-9_A02-5_B0092274_F56_E14571-_A295-4343-9_BC6-_AB46_BB4_CB5FF003881-_EC36-4_D0_C-990_F-011_FC5_B5052_E2_CE73_D-5_C36-4_A92-967_A-1_B4_C0929

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Strange but true. I've looked at the date of my photo.  25th July, around 6pm.

Noooo!  We went up at about 5 pm, coincidence eh?!

Only took the photos on my phone CliffTon, when I zoom in it’s just blurred.   If I’d known you were hovering around Trent Bridge I would have got you in thumbsup

When the Bridgford hotel first opened their advertising caused a huge amount of consternation as it showed a picture of one of the rooms and a couple (man and woman) holding hands very affectionately (obviously intent on hanky-panky) but it could be seen that the woman was not wearing a wedding ring. How times have changed!

Another ad for a hotel at about the same time (I thought it was the Bridgford but maybe not) again raising complaints showed a couple, again intent on a 'good night in' but the man was of, let's say, a dark complexion and the woman was white. How times have changed!

That grotty nightclub that was there is the only place I've ever been actually thrown out of - chucked down the stairs, in fact. There was a group of us and I was wearing a quite smart black leather jacket. We were allowed entrance ok but one of the bouncers decided that black leather didn't comply with their dress code and I was told to leave. My mistake was to question why there was no notice anywhere about this dress code and if it was real, why was I allowed in the club in the first place? That was where I learned that you NEVER argue with a nightclub bouncer. I was kicked down a whole flight of stairs and shoved out of the door by a 'woman' bouncer who made the warders in Cell Block H look like the sugar plum fairy.

Perhaps 'Rank Hotel' had even more significance. I remember that sign being there and that bloke with the gong (Bombardier Billy Wells) at the side of it.

I loved the ‘99’ Club !!  Had some great times there and never heard anyone say anything bad against it, until now.   Met lots of interesting people from out of town, footballers, cricketers.  Had dinner with  Zak, one of the owners of the ‘99’ (and also Babel on Huntingdon Street) a few years ago, with mutual friends.  

So did i Lizzie,,had a bit of bother with two Forest players one night,,who pushed their luck with my Lady,,Colin Hall a little centre forward with Forest at the time (1970 ish) stepped in and sorted it out,,,bless him,,saved me from a kicking  lol

• Upvote 1
  • 7 months later...