Sad End To A Nottingham Hero.

It is very sad to think that a Hero such as Samuel Harvey's life ended this way. It is hoped that he kept his Victoria Cross close to him through his life and in his quiet times, made him feel proud at the courage he showed when in such Danger. Thank You for the post Micheal.

• Upvote 1

I know it's been said a million times before, but a story like this, and sadly not unique, puts into perspective the lie given to those who returned as coming back to " A home fit for heroes".

Regrettably even today some of our Heroes coming home from present day conflicts fare little better than Samuel.

• Upvote 2

Hmm. I had never heard of him. I have not found any Samuels in my family tree but I wonder if he was related.

All of our children should be told of these facts in their history lessons,respect should be automatic ,as for returning soldiers a job should be a right,of all groups to give rights to our armed forces should be among the. first,in my eyes those that fight to protect us are all heroes God bless them all past and present.

It was once mentioned some time ago on the series of TV programmes featuring the Eddie Stobart haulage company that a large proportion of employees, especially drivers were ex service personnel. This was because the boss, Mr William Stobart stated that their loyalty, dedication to the job, attendance and application was second to none and that it was a pleasure to employ them. Plus of course, many were fully trained HGV drivers.

So next time you see one of Stobarts trucks, you will know it is in the hands of a complete professional.

Well done Mr Stobart.

• Upvote 2

Samuel Harvey V C' 1st battalion,York and Lancaster regiment,was also presented with the Legion of honor ( France),and the Order of S't George ( Russia).

He carried approx' 600 lbs of Mills'bombs( hand grenades),making a total of 12 return journeys over open ground between the trenches.

By the end of the war he had received a further 3 wounds. He enlisted in the regular army in 1905,and served with 'distinction' in India.Returning with his regiment in 1914,to be organized as part of the B.E.F. and on to France.

Many veterans become neglected and forgotten,even today our vet's are in need of help,but the governments drag their arses in caring for them.

'Old Contemptibles', the regular army that formed the B.E.F. the first British soldiers to fight the Germans.The name came from a remark made by the Kaiser. " That contemptible little army", they make us proud to come from such stock.

• Upvote 1

Do stobartss have a lot of foreign drivers there was a program on a couple of years ago where young British lads were competing for the chance to drive for stobarts,why would they need foreign drivers.

Don't know, but saw plenty of their wagons in Germany and Holland a couple of weeks ago.