Open cast mining at Cossall.

When I was a kid my father used to take me on the tandem down to Stanton Gate to do a bit of train spotting ( Garretts out of Toton in them days ). Just north of the station were two huge slag heaps from the Stanton Ironworks blast furnaces, I guess the name just stuck with me and all spoil tips subsequently became slagheaps as far as I was concerned.

From my memory slag was the waste from the coal when it was sorted at pit face and then piled high at side of the pit, I worked in a foundry and the waste from the cupola was known as klinker. Might be a regional thing or it could be that the ironworks used to burn the slag because it can be burnt if forced with air. In times of coal shortage we would sort through the slag heap for the best bits and mixed with good coal it would burn.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry Fly, yet again your right. Think I'm gonna make you my conscience. I cannot think of anything more inane than this modern idea of ' selfies'. It smacks of exhibitionism. Everywhere you look

I have no documentary evidence to support much of this but here goes. Oakwood Grange colliery was indeed a drift mine owned and worked by my late wife's grandfather Harry Rigley. I don't know if he a

There was a bell pit next to the old Police Station on Strelley Road. The building is still there but a bit overgrown. Also, it is said that St. Martin's pond at Bilborough Village (not to be confused

The waste from collieries was called dirt, spoil or rippings, as a face advanced the gate roads were "ripped" out, a lot was used as road side packing to reduce road deformation caused by convergence, the rest went out on the belts with the coal to be removed in the washery, then on to the waste heaps.

"outsiders" called spoil heaps "slag heaps"

Raybo

Do you ever recall clinker being made into bricks? It was a silvery white colour. I recall that many streets in Hyson Green were paved with bricks made from iron works. Goodliffe Street was until recently paved with such bricks. Now it has been tarmac'ed over.

I think thats how breeze blocks are made they are quite light for their size compared to building blocks, I remember the first time my dad threw a building block for me to stack. Thinking it was a breeze block it nearly knocked me off my feet when I caught it.

• 9 months later...

The geology of Strelley, which I copied from the geology plans *at* Cossall Colliery when I visited in 1962. I had the pleasure of actually going down the drift mine for a whole day. Quite an experience seeing it actually working!

strelley-geology1.jpg

And this map shows the position of all of the old bell pits

strelley-geology2.jpg

Note that the red lines are fault lines, the dash on the line shows the side of displacement, together with the number of feet displaced by the fault. The faults on the map showing the bell pits show that the dip of the strata is 1 in 20, but the fault had a displacement of 20 feet, which meant that the coal seam was at the same depth just below the surface each side of the fault. Most of these bell pits were visible when I was a kid.... our playground in the field behind our house.

There were loads of Bell Pits in the woods on Glaisdale Drive before they built on them. Local kids used to join them up with tunnels underground.

• 3 years later...

Just been reading an old post regarding Robinetts drift mine (firbeck) - I actually managed to get to this site from the canal. (took a bit of wading through water and brambles). I have a video of this site if you contact me. I went there when I was about 10 years of age with my older brothers and cousins and then yesterday (Aug 10, 2019) I went there again and it was so over grown but I had to get through. I ended up there because I was tracking some deer out of old moor wood down to cossall canal...I also managed to get some shots of the deer very close to this site. God bless let me know if you want to see the video and I will upload to youtube and pass a link to it :)

CCsaxton, I would most interested to see your  video and pix as I enjoy video filming meself ! Also interested in photography.

And welcome to NS.. Beekay.

Where is/was this relating to Robinettes Lane? I deliver parcels for Hermes in Awsworth and Cossall - its got me interested in the area.

Aye up Barrie. Don't you mean 'I also enjoy filming' ? 'Filming meself', is erm, a bit risqué. Fancy subjecting  newbies to such language ! thumbsdown

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sorry Fly, yet again your right. Think I'm gonna make you my conscience. I cannot think of anything more inane than this modern idea of ' selfies'.

It smacks of exhibitionism. Everywhere you look, some Pillock has got a phone at arms length grinning. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I agree. What's the point of a 'selfie' ? I know what I look like for goodness sake ! If I need a pic of myself, I'll always ask someone to assist ! 

Whenever I'm at an interesting place, I'm invariably annoyed by folks taking selfies, and not looking where they're going ! 

13 hours ago, ccsaxton said:

Just been reading an old post regarding Robinetts drift mine (firbeck) - God bless let me know if you want to see the video and I will upload to youtube and pass a link to it :)

Sadly, Firbeck who made the post you mentioned, passed away a couple of years ago, but I'm sure a lot of people here would be interested in seeing  your video.

• Like 1

As an aside, ROBINET is french for a tap (water tap).

You know, the things that, in England, have engraved on the top H and C meaning Hot and Cold.

In France it says C and F meaning Cold and Freezing.

:)

Or 'chaud' et 'froid '?   I had to have a few attempts at this because the iPad insisted I wanted to write 'droid'!