1. The city of Nottingham and

2. The whole county.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great photo - even if it has a watermark - of another bus going up Breck Hill Road. Judging by the fashions of the couple on the pavement, I'd guess around the early 70s. The white church

#62 Several of those roads running from Westdale Lane to Porchester Road could win the 'steepest gradient' prize.  I had to perform my driving test Hill Start on Kent Road in 1969 

At the risk of boring everyone to tears, the 25 and 25A were once a circular route. It started from Huntingdon Street, with the 25 going by Carlton Road, Burton Road, Gedling Road and Westdale Lane. T

Upstairs to bed always seems steep when I've had a couple of large Jameson's

• Upvote 1

I thought Emanuelle Avenue, off Porchester Road, might be a candidate for the city. Somersby Road is also steep if I remembr correctly.

Actually.....now that I think of it, I lived on Arundel Street between Derby Road and Ilkeston Road and that was very steep.

Lots of little closes in the Porchester Rd area are very steep and some around Westdale Lane .

Having ridden up them more than a few times on my bike, I'd say these are the steepest:

St Bartholomews Road (Donkey Hill)

Kenrick Road, Mapperley

Marshall Hill Drive, Mapperley

Elmhurst Avenue, Mapperley

Freda Avenue, Gedling

Beech Avenue, Mapperley (off Plains Road, opposite Westdale Lane)

I'd say that George's Hill is not quite as severe as any of those.

When dad delivered meat for Wheatleys of Carrington St in the late 50's or early 60's, I remember him cadging ashes from a house on Breck Hill in order to get some grip on the icy road surface. I was with him during the school hols.

Somersby Road isn't really that steep, but as we can see it from our house, it gives hours of entertainment in winter as we watch cars pirouette down it on the ice.

One or two doing it, I can understand. But like lemmings, and even when they can see its impassible, they keep on coming.

Basfordred, that's stirred my memory when you mention Wheatleys. Although we lived in Netherfield when I was little my Mum always bought meat from Wheatleys, probably because my Granny lived near the Midland Station and we were always visiting her. One time we were in the shop waiting to be served and a big man came in dressed as a Red Indian Chief, frightened me to death and I remember clinging onto my Mum's skirt! Apparently he was a well known horse racing pundit, here for the Nottingham Races.

Sorry to go off topic here!

• Upvote 1

Loppylugs #11,

In the early 60s my friend lived in the Labour Club on High Street Arnold. We would travel from Gedling on the bus route many times up and down Breck Hill. There were times when we thought the bus would never make it to the top, especially when you got to the very steep part and the Driver had to change Gear! When it snowed in the Winter it was hair raising at times.

• Upvote 1

I think that's what made it scary, Carni. It is a fairly steep grade coming up from the Mansfield road end, but then near the last hundred yards or so to Plains rd. it becomes even steeper. Changing down just there could be fun.

When I lived in Nottingham, I never gave the Hills a second thought, it was just a way of life.

After living in Flat Wolverhampton for so many years, it amazes me when I come home, just how Hilly it is on the Gedling, Carlton and Arnold side of the City. I don't think I could walk up Freda or Breck Hill these days.

Steven, We used to try to sit on the front seats upstairs for the thrill, as good as a scary ride at the Goose Fair any day.

That's the one CliffTon. We did the very same bus route when we came over for the Meetup in May.Those Hills were even steeper than I remember! Seeing the picture of the Bus really stirs up some memories of my teens!