Steepest gradient in Nottm.?

Not quite in Nottingham city, but there are some steep gradients around Selston. The main road near Lower Bagthorpe can be entertaining in winter, but also the dip close to the M1 from Kirkby to Selston (turn left at the Badger Box) is a little harsh.

The highest point in Nottinghamshire is not far away from the Badger Box.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great photo - even if it has a watermark - of another bus going up Breck Hill Road. Judging by the fashions of the couple on the pavement, I'd guess around the early 70s. The white church

#62 Several of those roads running from Westdale Lane to Porchester Road could win the 'steepest gradient' prize.  I had to perform my driving test Hill Start on Kent Road in 1969 

At the risk of boring everyone to tears, the 25 and 25A were once a circular route. It started from Huntingdon Street, with the 25 going by Carlton Road, Burton Road, Gedling Road and Westdale Lane. T

Not quite in Nottingham city, but there are some steep gradients around Selston. The main road near Lower Bagthorpe can be entertaining in winter, but also the dip close to the M1 from Kirkby to Selston (turn left at the Badger Box) is a little harsh.

The highest point in Nottinghamshire is not far away from the Badger Box.

The marker for the highest point near the Badger Box seems misplaced. The road is a tad higher 50 yards away!

• Upvote 1

The top bit of Southy St leading up to Forest Rd is quite steep. I cycled up Breck Hill quite often but reckon Southy St is steeper near the top.

I rode in a few bike races using the Melton Rd., Nether Broughton. Bit of a grind but going down was nice.

The top bit of Southy St leading up to Forest Rd is quite steep. I cycled up Breck Hill quite often but reckon Southy St is steeper near the top.

I rode in a few bike races using the Melton Rd., Nether Broughton. Bit of a grind but going down was nice.

The top bit of Southey St is where I did my hill start when I passed my driving test.

The marker for the highest point near the Badger Box seems misplaced. The road is a tad higher 50 yards away!

I have noticed that! I looked at the houses on the same side and they all appear to be of the same age so the sign can't be because there werent any other houses further up.

The marker for the highest point in Notts is well away from the Badger Box. It is beyond the traffic lights at the top of Shoulder of Mutton Hill. There are only another dozen or so houses further on than the sign before you come into open countryside.

I have noticed that! I looked at the houses on the same side and they all appear to be of the same age so the sign can't be because there werent any other houses further up.

This topic comes up periodically ;)

The highest point is reputedly Newtonwood Lane, just north of Huthwaite, near the motorway services. It is around 200m high. Silverhill colliery tip is also claimed to be the highest point. Strawberry Bank in Huthwaite has a plaque claiming to be the highest point, but is just a few feet lower.

Shoulder of Mutton Hill is much lower. The top of the hill is 184m . I seem to remember reading somewhere that the plaque on the house was rumoured to have been put there secondhand from a demolished house in Huthwaite.

Shoulder of Mutton Hill is much lower. The top of the hill is 184m . I seem to remember reading somewhere that the plaque on the house was rumoured to have been put there secondhand from a demolished house in Huthwaite.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. It doesn't 'feel' that high!

• 2 years later...

A great photo - even if it has a watermark - of another bus going up Breck Hill Road. Judging by the fashions of the couple on the pavement, I'd guess around the early 70s.

breckhill%20bus_zps9qpokkht.jpg

The white church steeple on the right is St Paul's on Mansfield Road - near the old Brewery.

• Upvote 5

If I remember correctly, isn't Kent Rd Mapperley one of the steepest ?

Several of those roads running from Westdale Lane to Porchester Road could win the 'steepest gradient' prize.  I had to perform my driving test Hill Start on Kent Road in 1969 :wacko:

• Upvote 2

Did you pass ?

I honestly don't know.  But a couple of good candidates would be Padstow Road, Bestwood Estate and Breck Road Woodthorpe/Mapperley

This thread about the steepest gradient reminded me about another "steepest" thread from a few months ago. Not many replies, and another example of a newcomer starting a thread and then never coming back again........

Freda Av. is very steep and yes I do vaguely remember a totem poll.

Break Hill is my worst nightmare if I'm going up behind a bus I have gone

down it in the snow, not nice. Gedling Rd. is one I tend to avoid if possible,  

but I have come down Kent Rd. sideways in my car when it was snowing

so that gets my vote.:Shock:

• Upvote 1

Gretton Road opposite the top of Westdale Lane or Bonington Road  next to it.  Can't remember which one was steeper.  The roads meet Coronation Road at a T junction at the bottom so, unlike the steep roads between Westdale Lane and Porchester Road, there's nowhere to go if you can't stop because of the ice!

For what it's worth.  I knew a chap called John Loy (Sp?) back in the late 1960s, who was a hippy type and an artist.  He claimed to have a Totem Pole in his garden but I don't recall where he lived.

Col