Steepest gradient in Nottm.?

I note you mentioned Padstow road col as being one of the steepest in Nottingham,which it most certainly must be...........Padstow school which i went to was built at the top and from our classrooms we had great views over Nottingham..........must have been the reason that during the War concrete bunkers were built there housing Anti-Aircraft Guns........the Bunkers were still there in the early 50s and were part of our play area,known as 'The Camp' so i presume that at one time the Army were in situ there,

It was known as the Camp for many years into the 50s in fact Padstow school football team played at the 'Camp' until swallowed up by Bestwood Park Estate..................An interesting fact was pointed out to us by our Geography teacher Mr Thomas,was that our school was the highest point traveling in a straight line Eastwards until you came to the 'Ural Mountains'................that point can still be seen today from many parts of the City by a line of trees,.................when i moved to where i live today which is about 2 to 3 miles away as the Crow flies i was pleasantly surprised to see that same line of trees from my school days from my bedroom window..............

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great photo - even if it has a watermark - of another bus going up Breck Hill Road. Judging by the fashions of the couple on the pavement, I'd guess around the early 70s. The white church

#62 Several of those roads running from Westdale Lane to Porchester Road could win the 'steepest gradient' prize.  I had to perform my driving test Hill Start on Kent Road in 1969 

At the risk of boring everyone to tears, the 25 and 25A were once a circular route. It started from Huntingdon Street, with the 25 going by Carlton Road, Burton Road, Gedling Road and Westdale Lane. T

The short stretch from the school down to Raymede Dr certainly comes close Ben. Thankfully it's only about 100 yds in length.

There are a couple of short but very steep roads in the backstreets of Sherwood, near the Samuel Hall.  Fairbank Crescent has railings up the side, presumably to help pedestrians with the incline - https://goo.gl/maps/CfGAqCpU9NP2

And Hood Street nearby is slightly longer but also has railings with a similar slope - https://goo.gl/maps/cvAQrRbGToL2

Glad I don't live on a steep hill. Hucknall Rd is bad enough. Especially when walking to town. Up, down, up, down, up down and so on.

Slightly off topic, but it's been mentioned elsewhere about the highest point in Nottingham. As previously discussed, some say Mapperley Top, ie Plains Rd, Gedling Country Park, or just passed  Strelley Village towards the M1. Any advance on those places ? 

My thoughts too Catfan. I've never seemed warm on Mapperley Top either. It really catches the wind even when it's not even breezy elsewhere in Notts.

Somersby Road leading up to Mapperly Top takes some beating for gradient. I had to do a hill start there when I took my driving test, it frightened the life out of me. On the subject of the highest point in Nottingham there is a plaque on a house near Shoulder of Mutton  Hill at Annesley claiming to be the highest point in the County of Nottingham.

Have seen that sign many a time used to look after a house a few doors up for a lettings agency.

However a team of surveyors using GPS reckon that Newtonwood Lane near Tibshelf is the highest in the county at 205mts, 673ft above sea level. Measurements taken 03/06/11.

Mapperley top is the highest in the city at 120mts, 400ft above sea level.

I think that's settled it NBL, Mapperley Top it is.

1 hour ago, woody said:

Somersby Road leading up to Mapperly Top takes some beating for gradient. I had to do a hill start there when I took my driving test, it frightened the life out of me. On the subject of the highest point in Nottingham there is a plaque on a house near Shoulder of Mutton  Hill at Annesley claiming to be the highest point in the County of Nottingham.

That sign has been gone from that house at Annesley for some time now. I understand it wasn't placed there 'officially'.

16 hours ago, taxi ray said:

Benjamin

I see those trees most days, coming down Winchester street from Woodborough road.

Surprised that nothing has been done with the old school site.

Me too Ray,..............eventually more houses i suppose.......just off topic,i noticed the other day that the land at the beginning of Hucknall by-pass Bulwell end,is up for sale as residential plots,so looks like Bulwell and Hucknall will soon be within touching distance Housing wise.............

Just to be picky..... and thinking about Mapperley Top/Plains, the city boundary is  Woodthorpe Drive so anything beyond the top of here is not actually within Nottingham city!  This means that many of the steep roads mentioned, including one or two I said!  can't be classed as the steepest gradient in Nottm   Not that it really matters, anyway.... I need to get a life instead of nit picking, don't I?  Lol

Yes Margie  lol.........................Padstow road,Bestwood is within the City boundary,....and beyond Woodthorpe drive,......you got me at it now..................

So it could be Strelley then ?

Sorry wrong topic....... Yet another senior moment !

Benjamin,

There is not a lot of distance between Hucknall and Bulwell now, there seems to be a lot of housing being built in and around Hucknall at the minute. I heard that Hucknalls football club is meant to be moving, only across the road, so that they can build house on that site, I don't know how true it is.

A while ago I mentioned that Hucknall and Watnall would get closer together, and it looks like that is happening as well.

They have built some houses on Wighay road, so Hucknall is also getting closer to Linby. Looks like Hucknall is intent on taking over everywhere.

• Upvote 1

I would say the shorter bit that ends at Raymede drive...........but not much in it............the longer bit down to Southglade was much more fun to sledge down,...........

That's what I said earlier. The short bit.