Steepest gradient in Nottm.?

Ray,you must be a Bestwood Boy............yes the Bankings were great,and very steep,....my Grandma lived on Leybourne and when i went to Whipple School it was up the Bankings every Morning..............

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great photo - even if it has a watermark - of another bus going up Breck Hill Road. Judging by the fashions of the couple on the pavement, I'd guess around the early 70s. The white church

#62 Several of those roads running from Westdale Lane to Porchester Road could win the 'steepest gradient' prize.  I had to perform my driving test Hill Start on Kent Road in 1969 

At the risk of boring everyone to tears, the 25 and 25A were once a circular route. It started from Huntingdon Street, with the 25 going by Carlton Road, Burton Road, Gedling Road and Westdale Lane. T

3 hours ago, NewBasfordlad said:

#87 The sign was still there in 2015 was hidden behind some what looked to be like ivy.

Wonder why it was placed there seeing as you are going up hill as you pass it.

It's only been gone 6 or 8 months or so?  And yes, it was on a house on lower ground than than the highest one.

So, another week goes by, and we don't appear to be any the wiser. 

So, have we finally decided on the highest point and the steepest hill in the CITY !

Hello all,

New recruit here, born in 53, seely prinary, high oavenent gs, boots station st and d90, played lots of rugby, emigrated to canada in 76 and still there. I am an old rocker and still enjoy bombing around on various motorbikes.

To the point, i lived at 54 newfield rd and newfield hill was short but many cars burnt out clutches trying to get up due to the very sharp left turn at the base which prevented any run up. I think there is a picture on the forum showing the view of the famous "rathole" on the forum from the top of the hill.

Cheers

Phil Allen

Well if it's drifts, Clifton Colliery, the one between 8's M/G and 42's down to the Piper seam, 45 degrees, had a rope to hang on to so you didn't slip on your botty!!  South main Returns at Clifton, 1:4, had steps or it would be to slippy to walk up and down.

I "alus" thought "Donkey hill" up St Anns well Rd was always credited as Nottingham's steepest hill.

• Upvote 1

There was a drift at Moorgreen pit from the Piper inset pit bottom down to part of the Piper training gallery that was very steep with steps, was also wet & slippery, good job it had hand rails. Had a direct rope haulage, the only one I'd ever seen till I went down Caphouse pit at the National Mining Museum last October. Down Hucknall pit the Deep Soft to Black Shale intake drift was 1 in 5, that was a baby drift in comparison to the Moorgreen Piper drift...

The Totem pole was there in the early 60s as I remember and I think the owner was a Canadian it was in the front garden stood around 9/10 feet tall,looked for it around 2010 on a return visit to check out the hill again,one time had to drag myself up the ave along the edges due to ice and snow.

Hill still the same but alas no Totem pole,so sad......

Sorry this is re Freda Ave did not pick up quote........

Well it's another fortnight gone, and we're STILL non the wiser where the steepest gradient or the highest points are within the city boundaries !

Well that's a reasonable one to start with.

We'll settle on that then Catfan.

That's one down, so...... Highest point anyone ?

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure if Douglas Avenue in Carlton has been mentioned. It seemed pretty steep to me when I was working at Co-Op servicing at the top of the hill in the late 70's.

Buses seemed to have a hard time getting up it after having turned round at the bottom.

I remember walking down to the bottom many times to get to Carlton station.

If you want to see a genuinely steep hill then check out St Patrick's Hill in Cork in Ireland.

Have a look on Streetview.

I had to check it several times when I was there on business a few years back.

Why would anyone build on such a gradient ?

#120 CF Right on the boarder I agree, but since I made a similar post and because I work a lot in Ashfield I have been for a look on the ground so to speak. If you leave Huthwaite heading north on the Chesterfield Road Newtonwood Lane is about a mile from the market place on the left.

Newtonwood Lane starts in Nottinghamshire and changes to Littlemore Lane just into Derbyshire, the people who carried out the survey took their measurements on the Notts side of the boarder.

So on the edge it may be but it is recognised now as the highest point in Nottinghamshire.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...
On 4/20/2017 at 11:37 PM, Cliff Ton said:

And Hood Street nearby is slightly longer but also has railings with a similar slope - https://goo.gl/maps/cvAQrRbGToL2

This area used to be known as Scots hill when I was a kid. One time one of our gang attempted to ride his bicycle up it but only managed to snap his gears. It was also great for sledging down to Lloyd Street before it was built on.

You could sledge all the way down to Mansfield Road. 

• 5 months later...

Was that from the top of the flagpole?, painted it in 76. When it was a steel one, not like today's fiber glass version.

• Like 1