How are you all coping with it, assuming it's as hot up there as it is down here.

I'm not complaining, I don't suffer too much from the heat, but my missus has found it unbearable and I don't think that the dog is very happy.

Last Thursday was the worst day, especially at night, it was impossible to sleep and when the rain eventually came at about 2:30 in the morning, of course you have to pull the windows to, making it worse. We only had a mild thunderstorm overnight, then despite being partially overcast yesterday, it was still as hot and humid as hell.

This morning, we haven't got a single cloud and at 8:00 this morning it was unbearably hot again.

I think I might suggest going to the coast this afternoon, it's only half an hours drive and thank God the cars got air con.

What is sad is the demise of the open air lido, it would have been a great day to go to Highfields for you and Rose Hill pool for us, but they've all gone, we have a fantastic one in Cambridge but to try and get to it in all that traffic is a nightmare. We've discovered another one not far away from us near Colchester, but it's so close to the coast you may as well go a bit further and dive in the sea.

The effect on the wildlife is amazing, I have never seen so many butterflies for years and the riverside is just full of dragonflies, but our over abundance of frogs must be suffering so we keep the undergrowth moist with the hose pipe.

The use of that will be banned soon I expect.

I don't envy those of you who are going to Waddington Airshow, I reckon the St Johns Ambulance Brigade will be busy.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Phoenix yesterday was 46c. We are keeping cool be being in California for a month!

@ Brew and Margie. There's an element of 2 steps forward and one back. E.g., yesterday was not great as the swelling got in the way of exercising and also pushed the pain up. But, in general

Love the heat....( good for business too ) we did have an amazing amount of rain yesterday tho...think we had a whole months worth in about 4 hours....Was wondering how many folk had watered their garden ( we dont have one ) the night before tho.

I’ve had no problems with the heat at night, only during the day I have when it got to hot to work in, when it did I took a rest break on my leather sofa, which keeps nice and cool even at the hottest time of the day.

In the last house I was in I installed in every bedroom a combined fan and light, that helped to keep one moderately cool while sleeping, that’s if the constant blowing of cool air on one didn’t keep one awake.

In this bungalow I again installed ceiling fans one in my office and the other in my bedroom not installed one in the spare room, I thought I would need them but I don’t, the rooms don’t get as hot as the last house, may have something to do with heat rising.

Bip.

Well, we had a great day!!

We found this place called Woodup Pool at Tollesbury, funny, I've been to Tollesbury many times and didn't know it existed.

It's only 25 mins drive across some pleasant countryside and is on the coast but on the Essex marshes up a tidal creek, in a very nice village with a shipbuilding history.

The pool is fed by the high tide, which had just receeded so it was fresh seawater. You park next to it and it's free. The water temperature was the warmest I've ever experienced on the British coast, it was incredible, a very pleasant spot, the bottom was sand and gravel with a covering of seaweed, there were lots of shrimps and small fish swimming about, hardly anybody there either, we shall definately be going there again soon:-

Madam trying the water:-

tollesbury005.jpg

tollesbury006.jpg

The lightship:-

tollesbury007.jpg

tollesbury009.jpg

View across to Mersea Island:-

tollesbury010.jpg

General notice about the place:-

tollesbury011.jpg

Now I know where to go if this heatwave keeps up, better than battling with the traffic jams to get to the real beach further up the coast.

• 5 years later...

He won't need his TV then will he?

• Upvote 1

91F here heat index 106F, so not doing a lot at the moment.

Supports the idea that weather tends to go in cycles rather than so called global warming/climate change, or whatever the current name is. In all of my 25 years growing up around Nottingham I don't remember summer temps' much higher than about 75 F max. Often much lower with the wet summers we always seemed to have. (That would be through the 50s and 60s)

We could do with some hot weather here in Tasmania its freezing about 8 degrees celsius weve hade heaps of frosts this winter,still I suppose its my fault for choosing this place to live out my remaining years.

Wasn't my favourite place when I first arrived, mind you I did live in the wettest part of Tassie, weather was a lot like I'd left behind...Loved the weather in Bathurst NSW though, very hot summers but low humidity, winters were cold and short, lost a few shifts due to snow on the Great Western Highway over the mountain. Company had to pay me due to the workers compensation Act, which stipulated I had to drive one standard route to work, going through a closed road was forbidden if I wanted to be covered. WCA covered me from door to door. I don't know if it's still the same, Bazza might answer that one.

Took the day off yesterday and went to the beach.

The temp'inland was around 107,and so humid,thought a 'dip' in the sea would cool us down.The ocean temp' was 85,with no breeze coming off the ocean,stayed about ten minutes.

Got home and stood under a tepid shower,soon cooled off,should know better than to hit the beach this time of the year.

Came off back lawn after 15 minutes football with Grandson, and i should have known better as well, :)

Sat under the umbrella watching birds and squirrels.. Ive learned to keep out of the sun for long periods.

It's nice though. How I love retirement !

Ot int it. Twot fa me.

We had a bike ride early this morning, 7.30am, to avoid the heat, and we got back at 9.30am, just as it was getting too hot for me! I'm sitting by the Patio Doors, listening to next doors children, playing in the paddling pool. I love to hear Kids playing. I don't see me doing much today now. There was a time I would have been out there, getting a Tan, but that was before we knew the dangers in the Suns rays.

Basfordred, Great innit, this Retirement. Ah! I know! another cup of Tea! Oh go on then, Just one more. :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

Sorry I'm not a hot weather person. But it reminds me of that old song -

Mad Dogs these Englishmen who go out in the mid-day sun.

Hovering around a 100 deg daily so last evening put a new A/C unit in, This one only draws 9 amps instead of the old ones 27amp,

Best thing it was free.

This weekend I cant decide to go to the Top Fuel dragsters at Sonoma raceway or go camping/Fishing/Jetskiing on the Delta let me know what you think.

Camping sounds good, but watch the midges.

• Upvote 1

A few days over 100 & they are gone & we have had at least 30 straight

8,000 hp & the smell of Nitro makes my mouth water.