• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Phoenix yesterday was 46c. We are keeping cool be being in California for a month!

@ Brew and Margie. There's an element of 2 steps forward and one back. E.g., yesterday was not great as the swelling got in the way of exercising and also pushed the pain up. But, in general

Did that last week , Fixed Washer/Dryer/Fridge/door knob/wheel bearing on the car & finished the table I was making.

So far just below average here in the Ozarks, no 100's yet and hope no 100's this summer...

Temperature has gone up some more today 38°C or 100°f, so I spent the day hiking, around the top of the mountains to keep cool.

My wife spent all day in a stuffy court room, trying to defend people at 46°c or 115°f, until the judge adjourned proceedings, because it was too hot, when she got home she called me a lucky barst**d, because I kept cool on the mountains hiking :)

Don't they have air conditioning in public buildings????

Yes ayupmeducks you drive the most direct route to and from your place of employment so as you are covered by workers comp.Yes I know Zeehan I used to live in Queenstown where the rain is just as bad,rumour has it that they used to seed the clouds to create rain so as to keep the dams full for the Hydro Electric Scheme.

• 7 years later...

I have had two text messages from Severn Trent reminding me not to waste water during this heatwave; not to use a hose pipe or sprinkler and to turn the tap off when brushing teeth.

I went down The Wells Road today and see that the water leaking from a boundary box on the corner of Eccles Way continues to cause a stready stream down the Wells Road for a few hundred yards (until it reaches a drain that is not blocked).  It has been leaking for a good couple of months and they know about it as they painted a blue arrow next to it several weeks ago.

There’s a water leak near Southwell on Brinkley Hill. Severn Trent dug a hole and put in temporary traffic lights for over a month. The hole’s been filled and the lights have gone but still the water continues to trickle.

News tonight on Italian tv temperature’s have risen to 41 c the same as us but a friend of my daughter in Nottingham says it’s only 36c and restaurant kitchens have been closed because of the heat. Schools closed? How’s everyone keeping cool? I went to dr this morning and have an appointment tomorrow afternoon at hospital but apart from that I’m staying in with cold bottles water , ice cream and cold meals. We have another 7-10 days of it. Think I’ll sleep in the fridge.

Not uncomfortably hot here on the South Coast and it isn’t likely to be as hot as the East Midlands.  I love the heat and can cope with it, no probs.  It’s summer, lap it up ……. Winters are long, dark and cold in England.  

• Like 1

Lizzie I love the heat and could stay out all day sunbathing but this heat has me admitting defeat. Even the evening is too hot, the humidity is high it just leaves us with no energy. If only it would rain it would give us a bit of relief. I agree that we have to make the most of summer because our winters are so severe but never again will I complain that it’s too cold. At least not until winter comes.
:tanning:wereno1

• Like 1

We do tend to go into emergency mode if we have a bout of extreme heat or cold here. Just need to keep hydrated and inside. Or go shopping at the mall all day in aircon. I do feel for those who have to be outside though, like my husband on 12 hour shifts in it! 
Only today to go and the we’re cooler again. Although…. Thunderstorms tomorrow and possible flood warning ha.

Gives us Brits something to talk about on our favourite subject, the weather.

• Like 3

Two or three days of hot weather and the media are talking like Armageddon has arrived. It’s reverting to a normal summer by the end of the week and hopefully the hideous bodies I’ve just witnessed in Morrisons will be covered over again! 

A friend has an apartment in Bournemouth that she lets out via AirBnb.  A Saudi family arrived this past weekend …. mum, dad and 5 year old.  There were Summer weight duvets on the beds. The man rang up asking for Winter duvets, then said the child would have both Summer AND Winter ones on his bed.  Next day he rang and asked how to turn the central heating on!   They’re in the place for 2 weeks.  

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

hopefully the hideous bodies I’ve just witnessed in Morrisons will be covered over again! 

Not if they’ve spent thousands on tattoos. 

Don’t remind me Lizzie! We would have gone to Waitrose to shop with the elegant people but I had to pick up my pills from Lowdham. This evening our local Women’s Institute are having their annual picnic on the village green. If it’s too hot then it’s in the church. My wife’s not looking forward but feels a sense of duty to attend! I’ve procured a Maloney’s pork pie from the farm shop so that should wash down well with a few cans of Peroni at my own indoor picnic. Got to keep hydrated.