After the local supermarkets have been short of water it all arrived early this morning. We had ordered to save us 30 packs. The car boot was full and we brought it all inside. Now in the meantime we ordered 25 packs from my sons supplier  Hope they can all be put away too.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Phoenix yesterday was 46c. We are keeping cool be being in California for a month!

@ Brew and Margie. There's an element of 2 steps forward and one back. E.g., yesterday was not great as the swelling got in the way of exercising and also pushed the pain up. But, in general

We are lucky, our water comes from our own well, great water percolates through the limestone beds, no pollutants like town tap water contains, so don't have to buy bottled water.

Living in a river valley not far from the Trent I don't have to dig very deeply before I strike water. The farmers have boreholes for irrigation and those with fields adjoining the river pump it straight out. I've never fancied drinking it though and I don't know of any domestic wells round here. We're the last property on our lane to be connected to mains drainage; all beyond us have septic tanks as we did some 50 years ago. We're also the last property on the mains gas supply. We used to have intermittent problems with our electricity supply and I still have a backup generator to power the essentials but I've  not used it for years.

The well driller drilled ours out to 550 foot level, it showed a flow back then of around ten gallons a minute, but now it's seasoned, I'd hazard a guess that would now be about 20 plus gallons a minute. Most of the small towns and water districts have large wells with water towers.

Around here are many natural springs, they never seem to run dry, even during the driest months of the year, June, July and early August, in fact we haven't seen any appreciable rain now in weeks. Ground is hard and grass drying, trees are starting to show stress.

As long as a domestic well is cased, the water is safe from contamination. The top 60 feet of ours is cased with a steel pipe that's cemented around it to seal it.

Those sort of things are up to the state here Phil, California requires a planning permit, even in rural areas, the driller has paperwork to complete on drilling a well.

Here in Missouri, the state wants to know the strata, so the driller suppies it, otherwise the only charges are for drilling the well, installing the pump etc.

They do lay down rules like the metal casing has to be installed to bed rock and sealed before the drill goes any deeper, here we have nearly 60 feet of clay before bedrock.

5 hours ago, Ayupmeducks said:

We are lucky, our water comes from our own well, great water percolates through the limestone beds, no pollutants like town tap water contains, so don't have to buy bottled water.

We too have a well and before we came here joggers used to ask to drink the water. . We’ve never tried it and keep saying we will have it tested. But at the moment with this excessive heat we are using the well to top up the pool and water the most expensive plants. I’ve left flowers to dry out as we’ve been advised to be careful with water. Next year succulents are going to be split and planted. I’m fed up of watering plants that need water 3 times a day.

It's not the sort of well you think Nonna, it's an 8"drilled cased hole down to 550 feet, the pump now sits at the 480 foot mark due to silting. there's 1 1/2hp pump and pressure tank installed, the tank is at the top of the well in the wellhouse.

• Like 1

Thanks for putting me straight. I think I know what type of well you mean …..but not sure. As long as it provides water.

We have a well in the front courtyard and the water is only 9 or ten feet below ground. I may drop a pump into it next week. There is another well in the back garden but its filled in. It's a more modern one built of red brick as opposed to sandstone. Due to the high water table I'm tempted resurrect it.  

I've been digging around this well for a couple of weeks while restructuring that area (another 2 skips full of soil etc.) and found yet another midden. Old whisky, ink and medicine bottles, small pots and the usual pigs teeth and rotten leather boots. It's more recent than the other middens which produced even older bottles , broken whetting stones and clay pipes.

• Upvote 1

Bit like the oil wells. drilled with a large drill rig, unlike the old village wells we used to see in England, that were dug by hand and lined with bricks.

Bit deeper as well and requires a borehole pump, around 6 inches diameter and about four feet in length, strainer on the bottom and pipe out the top to the surface.

PP you used the word midden. It’s years since I heard that expression. My mum used to use it.

Don’t remind me about the meadow! A week last Friday I was eulogising about the new mown hay. It’s still lying there having been rained on a few times. It’s dry at the moment but animal feed is going to be in short supply this winter. It’s not my problem as it’s not costing me anything as we no longer have horses to feed but I would like to see it to see it baled and gone.

Don't mind a little rural roughing it with a few kindred spirits!

Set up a day and time and we will be there........

• Like 1

Don’t dig too deeply round here, you’ll strike water. Anyway we’re still waiting for the hay to be made and heaven knows when that will be. There’s still lots of cereal crops to be combined. We were out in Lincs today on one of our antique’s forays and the harvest doesn’t appear to have started there either. Are the farmers waiting for better weather? 

Just seen a photo of The New Forest and many of the leaves are quite golden, is autumn early of is it just a reaction to the heat and lack of water?.

All the wattles are out here, it's a sure sign that spring is on its way, thank goodness as it has been one of the coldest wettest winters I can remember.

Acacia - or Wattle. To celebrate Wattle Day, September 1st. @ ExplorOz Blogs

Mimosa here around march. As Jill says fruit trees are laden . Our fig produced its first crop and I wish I’d kept a count of how many kg we picked. Now the tree has been resting a bit and we now have our second crop on its way . We’ve already picked about a couple of dozen and it’s still loaded but the odd yellow leaf shows itself. The acer has been a sorry site for ages but it was the same last year but it starts it’s new leaves early. All our border plants are slowly drying out and flowers I’ve just let them fade away , I couldn’t keep up with watering them 2-3 times a day. The only ones surviving are the ice plants. Even they are bigger than they were last year. We do divide them every year and give them away.

It looks like we’re about to lose our spectacular cherry tree through lack of water, but possibly because it’s 70 years old.  There was an apology of blossom this year but already all the leaves are brown.   
it’s just like Autumn in Mapperley Park, the street trees have been dropping leaves since June and the road-sweeping truck came around at 7am today, for the first time in months.  

This afternoon I have a second tree surgeon coming round to quote for 3 trees to be felled and 2 to be topped.  Already had one price which was a lot lower than I expected.  The biggest issue is that we’re in a Conservation Area and need council permission to do any tree work.  Nottingham City Council’s ‘tree man’ only works 2 days a week, we could be waiting a long time.  

On 7/20/2022 at 2:55 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Much cooler this morning.......in fact just right,,,,,,enjoying my Coffee on the Garden.........not naked anymore...

Got me socks on......:)

You socksy thing !!!!!

• Like 1