• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Phoenix yesterday was 46c. We are keeping cool be being in California for a month!

@ Brew and Margie. There's an element of 2 steps forward and one back. E.g., yesterday was not great as the swelling got in the way of exercising and also pushed the pain up. But, in general

Our whole village has had water tuned off fo almost 12 hours because of various weter leaks.  Apparently the heat causes the ground to shrink and move which causes stress on the underground pipes.  It’s on again now but very low pressure -  our shower will only operate on ‘low’ now.  Anglian water has huge lorries in the centre of th village and are giving out free packs of bottled water, one pack for each person in the household.  Also they are  delivering packs to the old and vulnerable and those with babies and young children. They are doing all the can to alleviate the problem as well as repairing all the leaks.  Apparently our village water tower is getting a bit low on water as well.  The joys of rural life…

• Like 2

Weather sure does cause ground movement, I'm sitting on a clay band, where the well is drilled it's 60 ft thick, when I built the house, I dug about 2-3 ft footings for the piers to sit on, bu the house does come under stress during hot dry spells and winter wet conditions as the clay dies out and gets wet and expands. I have to "fine tune" the front and back doors one of these days as they stick due to that expansion and shrinkage.

• Upvote 1

Adelaide has some of the most reactive clay soils in the world and house damage can be quite severe. All new houses are required to have 3 metre test bore holes drilled to evaluate soil condition before building to allow them determine the best sort of foundations to use. A friend of ours has a house, that during summer when it is dry, has cracks that you can put your fist in and when it is wet close up completely. The biggest damage to houses is to the plumbing because the house moves but the plumbing does not. Best practice at the moment is to isolate the plumbing from the house foundation with flexible joints. We suffer from lots of damage to water mains due to soil movement.

We are on sandy soil, former dunes which brings a whole group of different problems.

Earth movement during earth quakes cracks plastic pipes, it's amazing how much punishment a house gets from the earth "rolling" during an earthquake, used to make me nervous even knowing the quake was miles away.

I lived in Wollongong when there was a quake centered in Picton NSW, scared the "bejazus" out of me, I lived in an apartment on the third floor all built of brick.

My in-laws lived in the 'Gong and at first FIL thought it was an explosion at one of the local coal mines.

I remember the Newcastle NSW earthquake just after Christmas in 1989. we were on holiday at Mollymook on the NSW south coast, 400km away and it shook our caravan.

It was recorded as a 5.6 magnitude quake. Sadly 13 people lost their lives, most when the Newcastle Workers Club first floor collapsed and 160 were hospitalised.

I experienced a large earthquake from the upper floors of a hi-rise hotel in Tokyo, looked out of the window and saw the buildings moving, really weird but we had been assured the the hotel was "quake-proof" but still bl**dy scary

I remember in the 1976 heatwave there was a lot of talk about Home Brewery stopping brewing due to the water shortages but my dad, who worked there as a managed house stocktaker, said that wouldn't happen as they drew water from their own underground well.

Yes Home Brewery had their own borehole as I suspect all breweries did / do.

A good few years ago a group of H-B employees on the tanker delivered beer thought they'd found a foolproof way of making a few extra pounds by selling extra for cash to the first pub on their round, then topping up with tap water.

Unfortunately for them the tap water had chlorine in it and was eventaully detected at the subsequent pubs.

More years ago than I care to remember the landlord of the Wheatsheaf on Sneinton Road, Keith Brand if I remember correctly, was a good friend of my dad's. Keith had an Alsatian, who's name escapes me, who used to lay on his back catching the drips of beer from the hose couplings when the tanker delivered to the pub 

Hey Arnold not sure of your age, but master lived round the corner from the wheatsheaf, and when my mum and dad moved from St Ann's due to demolition they lived in the tall flats facing wheatsheaf, so some where inbetween our paths must have crossed, Oh! just one more thing master and I were married at St Stephens. ps did you go to Manvers boys school?

Just sat reading post's about Earthquake's   not sure of the year but we went on holiday to Aus and New Zealand. Webooked all flights and our hotels on line ab was out 25 hotels in total.  Aus was not a problem but New Zealand was a night-mare. I could not find any hotels at all. Never realised about NZ having an earthquake but thay had, and it was a bad one. Moat of the hotels had gone, shops what once were selling cloths etc gone.

in the eity center of Christchurch  thay had buit shops from large containers, getting the nick name of container city. The thing that you can't see though is the sadness of it all. we went for a walk and there was half a picture house left standing, when you arrived in the city center there were about 50 chair's (not sure uf number of chairs) all were neat and tidy with a notice on each chair which more or less said this not sure if the wording is right Just come sit a while  and  rest your                              and think about this person who' use to sit here. when you ha

New Zealand sits on the edge of the Pacific Plate just Like California and Japan and the western side of South America, earthquakes are common there.

I was shocked by Australia having one, although I was at work the following night when a second one followed the Picton on, aftershocks.. We arrived at the surface at the end of our shift and were asked if we'd felt anything underground at a certain time...Nope, it's pretty unusual for miners to experience earthquakes underground.

A couple of years later when I was working in the western coalfield, we had a quake centered somewhere east of Lithgow. This was when we were on our way home, the lads traveling east had their cars bouncing off the roads, never felt anything traveling west to Bathurst though.

Then the evening of the Loma Prieta quake in California, I was living in Sacramento and reading. I had this odd feeling of dizziness and the weights and pendulum of the G/father clock were rocking against the cabinet, didn't dawn on me at first it was a quake, that would have been around 5-00pm. We soon found out SF had been hit big time, that's all that was on live TV for the rest of the evening...What a mess, top deck section of the Bay Bridge had collapsed, large part of a freeway collapsed trapping hundreds of commuters, fires, water mains burst, houses collapsed. Never want to see that stuff again.

A few years later was living in the foothills on the side of an old volcano, when a quake struck somewhere east of us, scary!!!

11 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Hey Arnold not sure of your age, but master lived round the corner from the wheatsheaf, and when my mum and dad moved from St Ann's due to demolition they lived in the tall flats facing wheatsheaf, so some where inbetween our paths must have crossed, Oh! just one more thing master and I were married at St Stephens. ps did you go to Manvers boys school?

@mary1947 Thanks for your reply but it was my dad who knew The Wheatsheaf and the landlord well through his job as a managed house stocktaker for Home Brewery. I went to school in Arnold 

When we came to live in this house in 2000 we had an earthquake that damaged the centre of the house. It wasn’t severe but in the hallway it left a crack which every year in the summer stops the front door from closing on its own. No problem in the winter. The tiles eventually started cracking so when we had the floors retiled we adjusted the hallway but it still does it . It seems that underneath the soil expands and shrinks in the winter. Very weird. 

POST CF from Sunday.

Sorry folks about my spelling and english, at the time of posting i was half a sleep.

just adding a little more to my post, the picture house had split in half and all you could see was a large wall with those seats that fold up.  In the centre of town, was a large square, which had been filled with chairs. The chairs were all painted white in all total 50, the assortment of chairs was very small one's to big boss chairs. The chairs were from the lacal radio station, and each chair had been used by the people who had worked  there. These people had lost every thing most of them were no longer with us.  There was a notice above the chairs which said please sit a while and give a thought about the person that this chair belonged to. Each chair had a picture and name on it. 

So sad,   

It’s still dry here but clouds are forming. I’ve reluctantly been to the hand car wash in Newark as my car was filthy, covered in dust from the combining and haymaking nearby. There’s no hosepipe ban here but I thought it would be antisocial to use a hosepipe (not that I can be observed) The car’s out on the drive gleaming. If this doesn’t make it rain I don’t know what will!